↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > PLEASE HELP
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JOENGELBRECHT

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Alpine White
PLEASE HELP
Hi Everyone please help. I drive a LR 90 Puma Defender 2.4. Recently I have had it in the shop as it revs whilst stationery and then has no power in the pull off in 1st and 2nd gear.

Anyone out there experienced this and if so what was the problem?

Thanks

Joanna
Post #163541 21st Aug 2012 7:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgardel

Italy 
Re: PLEASE HELP
JOENGELBRECHT wrote:
Hi Everyone please help. I drive a LR 90 Puma Defender 2.4. Recently I have had it in the shop as it revs whilst stationery and then has no power in the pull off in 1st and 2nd gear.

Thanks

Joanna

power on 3, 4, and more? reverse gear?

if not check the shaft from the gearbox to the transfer

item 22 (see below)

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #163544 21st Aug 2012 7:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JOENGELBRECHT

Hi

Thanks for your quick response and help.

Funny thing is the 1st time this happened no power in 1st and 2nd but when she hit 3rd she was flying. Dealership downloaded software she was fine for another 2 weeks, 2nd time it happened no power in 3rd and 4th? Sorry I am a chick so all this technical stuff a bit over my head so I am trying to get as much information as possible to take to dealerships or somewhere where I feel comfortable that they know what they are doing. I will take the information that you have given me including diagram and share it with the techs that I am working with here.

Appreciate your help, have you had the same problem?

Regards, Joanna

dgardel wrote:
JOENGELBRECHT wrote:

Thanks

Joanna

item 22 (see below)

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #163550 21st Aug 2012 8:19pm
dgardel

Italy 
[quote="JOENGELBRECHT"]Hi

Funny thing is the 1st time this happened no power in 1st and 2nd but when she hit 3rd she was flying. Dealership downloaded software she was fine for another 2 weeks, 2nd time it happened no power in 3rd and 4th? Sorry I am a chick so all this technical stuff a bit over my head so I am trying to get as much information as possible to take to dealerships or somewhere where I feel comfortable that they know what they are doing. I will take the information that you have given me including diagram and share it with the techs that I am working with here.

Regards, Joanna

dgardel wrote:
JOENGELBRECHT wrote:

Thanks

Joanna

item 22 (see below)

mhmmmm

ok forgot the shaft (item 22) otherwise no movement on ALL gears.

Probably something related to the SW (or to the turbo actuactor).

Have you the MIL lights ON (orange engine symbol on dashboard), have you the possibility to read the DTCs (errors code) from the ECU?

Daniele Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #163555 21st Aug 2012 8:35pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
I guess if the software worked for a few weeks, then it is likely to be something along the software lines (although you don't always get the true story from a dealership).
Post #163560 21st Aug 2012 8:44pm
JOENGELBRECHT

[quote="dgardel"]
JOENGELBRECHT wrote:
Hi

Regards, Joanna

dgardel wrote:
JOENGELBRECHT wrote:

Thanks

Joanna

item 22 (see below)

mhmmmm

Have you the MIL lights ON (orange engine symbol on dashboard), have you the possibility to read the DTCs (errors code) from the ECU?

Daniele

Hi Daniele

There is no lights on the dash everything seems fine. The first dealership fixed the errors apparently with the software download the 2nd dealership reported no errors? The 2nd dealership claims new EGR valve needed?

Hope that helps.
Post #163564 21st Aug 2012 8:47pm
dgardel

Italy 
[quote="JOENGELBRECHT"]
dgardel wrote:
JOENGELBRECHT wrote:
Hi

Regards, Joanna

dgardel wrote:
JOENGELBRECHT wrote:

Thanks

Joanna

item 22 (see below)

mhmmmm

Daniele

Hi Daniele

There is no lights on the dash everything seems fine. The first dealership fixed the errors apparently with the software download the 2nd dealership reported no errors? The 2nd dealership claims new EGR valve needed?

Hope that helps.

if the cause is the EGR you can see smoke on the exhaust .

With the car switched off try to remove the red circled connector and test te Defender. If the defender goes well, the problem IS te EGR valve.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #163568 21st Aug 2012 9:04pm
JOENGELBRECHT

H

So the EGR has been blocked off on Monday got car back Wednesday and this morning same thing happening but worse!!!!

Error Codes:

U0001-88: HIGH SPEED CAN COMMUNICATION BUS
P1643-87: CAN LINK ENGINE CONTROL MODULE/TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE CIRCUIT NETWORK MALFUNCTION

I know I should be patient but seriously I am loosing faith Sad

Does anyone know what or how to fix the above? It is back with the dealer lets see.

Regards,

Joanna

[quote="dgardel"]
JOENGELBRECHT wrote:
dgardel wrote:
JOENGELBRECHT wrote:
Hi

Regards, Joanna

dgardel wrote:
JOENGELBRECHT wrote:

Thanks

Joanna

item 22 (see below)

mhmmmm

Daniele

Hi Daniele

Hope that helps.

if the cause is the EGR you can see smoke on the exhaust .

With the car switched off try to remove the red circled connector and test te Defender. If the defender goes well, the problem IS te EGR valve.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #166701 6th Sep 2012 2:36pm
Lorryman100

P1643-87 - CAN LINK ENGINE CONTROL MODULE/TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE CIRCUIT NETWORK MALFUNCTION

Get the dealer to either replace or check the Transmission High/Low switch and associated wiring. The Transfer Case Low Range Indicator Switch being faulty will give this DTC as will a wiring fault within the CAN network. Check the multiplex plugs on both the ECU and the IPAC as well as the associated wiring looking for evidence of chaffing. Personally I would replace the low range indicator switch first. Thumbs Up

Brian.
Post #166725 6th Sep 2012 4:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1