↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Engel or ARB
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
pjh

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
We are really pleased with the ARB 47 litre. Fits really well behind the passenger seat on an upturned spare wheel carrier.

All the best,

Peter Defender 11MY USW
Post #146881 24th May 2012 2:54pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
all sorted, I have ordered a National Luna 50 Litre fridge / freezer from a forum sponsor and got a great price... I'll be collecting in a couple of weeks Thumbs Up

I decided on the NL because:

1. 40 litre fridge / 10 litre freezer is exactly the configuration i wanted
2. NL has battery management features built in
3. Reputation and Build quality
Post #149505 10th Jun 2012 3:11pm
MacDefender

Brazil 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
I have a ARB 37L for about a year and the only word I can imagine using to describe it is...FANTASTIC.
It is big enough to carry all my stuff when overlanding and small enough to be moved to places like the pool or a friend's barbecue.
In fact I use it inside my kitchen when I need to provide cool beer for my friends.
I highly recommend it... Mauro Chies
Rio Grande do Sul - Brazil
nihil sub sole novum. dum potes vive.
Post #150048 13th Jun 2012 1:51am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacDefender

Brazil 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Sorry. 47L, not 37. Mauro Chies
Rio Grande do Sul - Brazil
nihil sub sole novum. dum potes vive.
Post #150054 13th Jun 2012 3:18am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
So pleased with the NL, especially the battery indicator and battery management features.

going to work on a design for a frame to hold it in place... photos to follow
Post #156295 17th Jul 2012 9:34pm
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Let me know how you get on as I've just ordered the ARB 47l as Nakatenanga never dot back to me Shocked

Looking to place it behind the passenger seat on some sort of base or mount, if that fails it'll be in the boot.

Last edited by Higgers on 1st Aug 2012 6:27pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #156346 18th Jul 2012 6:23am
ben_j85jty

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
Higgers wrote:
Let me know how you get on as I've just ordered the same fridge from Nakatanenga Very Happy

Looking to place it behind the passenger seat on some sort of base or mount, if that fails it'll be in the boot.

Now it may be different on a Tdci, but for my Td5 I removed the 40% Seat and found that there is a 3/4" lip on the wheel box. I manufactured a table that rests on the lip and has feet to spread the weight which go to the seatbox and to the floor.

I secure the fridge with a few ratchet straps and it is a perfect fit. - I should also add I have an Engel so the fit may be different. 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #156363 18th Jul 2012 8:36am
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
I long for a National Luna 50ltr but really can't afford it at the moment. I have had for many years a Minus 40 60ltr but it a bit big now its just the two of us.
Post #156364 18th Jul 2012 8:45am
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
as bit of feedback on customer support.

My 2004 Engel gave up 2 weeks ago. MT45 bought at billing.

I looked up the local service guy gave him a call.

Now, a 8 year old fridge, bought at billing, no invoice anymore, a belgian guy living in slovakia calling an austrian service technician.

You could imagine a better starting point.

To make it worse, i dismantled the power supply in an attempt to find the defect myself. Whistle

He took me through a check procedure (normally done at their place but as i had everything dismantled); Power supply broken, no problem we have them on stock.

As i had a trip passing him that week i decided to go there and have him build it in. He could then also check the other components and diagnose.

30 min, new power supply installed at cost of the part, a coffee and chit-chat about fridges. (they are also service agent for Waeco) thats Thumbs Up for them

It set me back 300 euro's, not cheap but still less than a new one. (i checked prices of this part and they are the same everywhere, thats Thumbs Up as policy from engel)

From the chit chat, and for what it is worth, Engels last forever, repair rate is less than 2%, while waeco is much higher at much younger age. I saw his repair shop, full of dismantled weaco's, guess about 50 and 3 engel fridges (including mine). Sales numbers are not comparable, i know, but he assured me that my 8 year old one failed way too young as most which he sees are much much older and he still has to replace his first compressor (always power supply related defects).

As a useful bit of info, a big reason for failure of the power supply is the use of a quick-charger or AGM charger. Apparently the power supplies do not like to be exposed to the higher voltages these put out. So lesson, don't run your fridge on 12VDC with the charger connected.

Smile
Post #156366 18th Jul 2012 9:10am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Great post Tatra Thumbs Up
Post #156368 18th Jul 2012 9:12am
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
ARB 47l delivered this morning Very Happy just need to figure out the best place to put it before Corsica next week.
Post #159197 1st Aug 2012 6:29pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
We tried ours (47l ARB) out over the weekend - just in the drive in the back of my 90 as we had the roof tent up and Dave was doing some more electricals (including refrigeration for us too - putting the aircon in!!)

Wasn't a hot day, but fairly warm in the back of the 90 in the sun, got down to temperature reasonably quickly, stayed constant pretty much all the time. Opened the lid a couple of times, but otherwise left to its own devices. When we took it out it had run for around 32 hours and battery appeared to be still going strong, without charging. So far so good. Thumbs Up Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #159277 1st Aug 2012 10:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345