↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > sesitive throttle!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ciderdrinker

Wales 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
sesitive throttle!!
The throttle on my 2001 td5 defender is very seems sensitive! This is fine when driving on nice smooth tarmac, but I live down a half mile track and the slightest variation in throttle input tends to make tends to make the engine ‘bounce’ (cant think of a better word!!!) as I try to correct, the bounce in the vehicle tend to make me over correct and makes the issue worse!

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? Or is it just my clumsy welly clad feet!!!!? Laughing

Is there any mods or suggestions?

cheers

Will
Post #143562 6th May 2012 9:44am
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Hi Will,

Has the car had a remap? Maybe the tune has been made a little too sharp on throttle response?

The first Td5 Defenders had issues with an over responsive pedal, but this was sorted before 2001.

Regards,

Gary.
Post #143565 6th May 2012 10:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ciderdrinker

Gary,

thanks for your reply

Have not long had the vehicle, i dont think it has had a remap Confused how was the throttle response sorted on earlier vehicles?

will
Post #143566 6th May 2012 10:14am
Alive Tuning

Early Td5 defenders had four different ECU part numbers, starting with MSB101170 in late 1998, to MSB101171 in 1999, MSB101360 in 2000, and finally MSB000080 from early 2001.

The early ones had issues with an over sensitive throttle map, often causing shunting when crawling along in slow moving traffic. I have seen later cars, that have had an earlier engine management fitted, no doubt due to a failure of the original unit, and it being replaced with a second hand ecu.

An air flow meter (the old favorite!) that has an output signal that is too high, can also cause issues similar to this.
Post #143577 6th May 2012 10:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Will,

If you haven't long had the vehicle, it may just be that you need to 'acclimatise' to it a little. The Td5 has a 'fly by wire' throttle, so there isn't a direct cable linkage between the pedal and the throttle - instead the pedal sends a position signal to the thorttle, which then responds accordingly. One of the benefits of this was that it allowed the ECU to be configured in such a way as that when low box is engaged, the throttle mapping changes so that the pedal becomes less responsive (requires greater travel). The advantage being that when going over rough stuff in low box, you are less likely to experience the 'kangarooing' effect that you describe. Therefore one option you might try is to drop it into low box at the beginning of your drive and trundle along in low 3rd or 4th (depending on what sort of speed you normally run along your drive at). This would have the added benefit that your low box would get a regular work-out. You might give it a try and see if it's any smoother.

I also experience this 'kangarooing' very occasionally, usually in high 2nd when the engine's cold in stop-start traffic. I find the only way to stop it is dip the clutch and then make a smooth start again.

Tris. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #143578 6th May 2012 10:50am
ciderdrinker

Tris,

Thanks for the advice but having just looked at my ecu i think Gary may have the right answer!

Gary,

having just looked at my ecu it would appear that it has had a replacement sometime! as it has the words 'grey td5' written on it in marker pen! (my landy is green!!) also has quite a beaten up looking lid?????

where would the part number be on the ecu? does it need removing to find the number?

can an old ecu be remapped to the newer settings so not to have the over sensitive problem?

also when i removed the red plug i found some traces of oil? should i be worried?

sorry for all the questions!!!!

cheers

Will
Post #143593 6th May 2012 2:39pm
Alive Tuning

You will need to pull the ECU out to see the part number, which should be MSBxxxxxx.

A trance of oil is nothing to worry about, but you should consider changing the injector loom.

I can change the throttle map in any ecu, to any other version, or customise it to suit you.
Post #143594 6th May 2012 2:56pm
ciderdrinker

thanks for your help Gary!

Does anyone have any advice on buying injector looms? is there aftermarket ones available or do i get genuine LR? are there anyones i should steer clear of?

Will
Post #143605 6th May 2012 4:24pm
Alive Tuning

We have genuine LR injector looms, with gaskets, in the service items part of our website. £45+vat.

Check your V5 to see if you have a 10P or 15P engine.
Post #143617 6th May 2012 5:41pm
ciderdrinker

ive given up on trying to post some photos! but on further investigation into my ecu it also has disco written on it!
I dont know if there are any differences between them and a defender ecu? the ecu part number is msb101340. were the early disco ecus also prone to the oversensitive throttle issue?

it also looks like the sheilding around the red plug has been cut back? would this be done to stop the oil getting to the ecu and leaking out before it gets to the plug? if anyone can upload photos Confused a photo of an unaltered loom may make things a little clearer!!!

many thanks

Will
Post #143631 6th May 2012 6:55pm
Alive Tuning

The MSB101340 is from a 2001 Discovery Automatic. These have a VERY bright throttle response map, compared to anything with manual transmission, so this is where your problem lies.

I can't imagine your engine temp gauge works either?

Now you need to find yourself a Defender engine ECU, to get it all running correctly.
Post #143643 6th May 2012 7:44pm
ciderdrinker

cheers haha temp gauge was one of the next jobs on my list!!!

Thanks for your help!

sorry just one more question! will any defender ecu work in mine?

many thanks

Will
Post #143649 6th May 2012 8:04pm
Alive Tuning

Yes, Any defender ECU will work, and fix your temp gauge for free!

If you get a later type NNN000120 or NNN500020, then it will need programming with the correct software for a 10P engine.

Of course, I will be happy to assist with the configuration and coding of a replacement ECU.
Post #143653 6th May 2012 8:29pm
Bows

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
Hi,
Maybe you should have bought a 300 tdi??

Shocked
Post #143747 7th May 2012 10:28am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Alive Tuning wrote:
The MSB101340 is from a 2001 Discovery Automatic. These have a VERY bright throttle response map, compared to anything with manual transmission, so this is where your problem lies. I can't imagine your engine temp gauge works either? Now you need to find yourself a Defender engine ECU, to get it all running correctly.

Bow down Gary you impressed me with your knowledge! Bow down That's all the sunshine I'm blowing up your crimper! (Today anyway). Cool If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #143756 7th May 2012 11:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>