↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Odd noise, any ideas?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Odd noise, any ideas?
Since the onset of the cold weather, my '07 DC has developed an intermittent odd noise. I appreciate that it is almost impossible to diagnose (or even describe) noises in a forum, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas or had heard anything like this before.

The noise only happens:-

* when first driving off in the cold, say within the first mile, perhaps two at most.
* when accelerating with a certain amount of left lock on, for example turning left out of a side-road or coming off a roundabout

It does not happen (at least not yet):-

* when the vehicle or weather is warm
* turning right, or going straight
* when not accelerating

The noise is a "bearing" noise, a sort of "wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh" noise. It is rotational, proportional to roadspeed, not affected by gear selection or engine speed. It first happened shortly after Christmas when the weather became colder, I never heard it in previous winters. I cannot really tell if it coming from the front or the back (it is sort of "everywhere" and it is quite loud), but I think it is the front. You cannot feel anything through the steering or seat, it is just a noise.

I think it must be connected with the front axle, perhaps a wheelbearing, but rocking and spinning the wheels suggests nothing wrong. When the vehicle is warm, it seems fine.

The noise reminds me of the sound I had on something years ago when the clutch release bearing was on the way out, every time you pressed the clutch, which also makes me think bearing.

If anyone has any ideas, or if this description rings any bells, I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks!
Post #120379 1st Feb 2012 6:49pm
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Sounds suspiciously like the same noise I had a month or two back.... turned out to be a knackered off side abs sensor...

Here's my tale ..... http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic10240.html

Added on edit : If it is that, then the sensor ain't cheap..... £200'ish sticks in my mind.....although I try to blank it out.... Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.

Last edited by party monkey on 1st Feb 2012 7:02pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #120384 1st Feb 2012 6:59pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Try your UJs, go underneath just after a drive and check for a hot one.
Also check them for free play (wheels chocked and handbrake off) 
Post #120386 1st Feb 2012 7:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
party monkey wrote:
Sounds suspiciously like the same noise I had a month or two back.... turned out to be a knackered off side abs sensor...

Here's my tale ..... http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic10240.html

Added on edit : If it is that, then the sensor ain't cheap..... £200'ish sticks in my mind.....although I try to blank it out....

Aha, that's one thing I can rule out - I don't have ABS!

However, looking at your thread it does appear to be a very similar noise. Interesting!
Post #120389 1st Feb 2012 7:08pm
Harryb450

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Re: Odd noise, any ideas?
blackwolf wrote:
Since the onset of the cold weather, my '07 DC has developed an intermittent odd noise. I appreciate that it is almost impossible to diagnose (or even describe) noises in a forum, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas or had heard anything like this before.

The noise only happens:-

* when first driving off in the cold, say within the first mile, perhaps two at most.
* when accelerating with a certain amount of left lock on, for example turning left out of a side-road or coming off a roundabout

It does not happen (at least not yet):-

* when the vehicle or weather is warm
* turning right, or going straight
* when not accelerating

The noise is a "bearing" noise, a sort of "wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh" noise. It is rotational, proportional to roadspeed, not affected by gear selection or engine speed. It first happened shortly after Christmas when the weather became colder, I never heard it in previous winters. I cannot really tell if it coming from the front or the back (it is sort of "everywhere" and it is quite loud), but I think it is the front. You cannot feel anything through the steering or seat, it is just a noise.

I think it must be connected with the front axle, perhaps a wheelbearing, but rocking and spinning the wheels suggests nothing wrong. When the vehicle is warm, it seems fine.

The noise reminds me of the sound I had on something years ago when the clutch release bearing was on the way out, every time you pressed the clutch, which also makes me think bearing.

If anyone has any ideas, or if this description rings any bells, I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks!

you've got the same symptoms that i had.................after a bit of fiddling i found it to be the front D/S wheel bearing Thumbs Up
Post #120412 1st Feb 2012 7:43pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Rust on brake discs or hand brake drum as they have salted the roads due to cold weather?

Does touching the brakes alter the noise?

Andy
Post #120487 1st Feb 2012 10:19pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Could also be a siezed brake cylinder causing the pad to 'rattle'.
Sounds just like a CV joint breaking up.
Guess how I know Rolling Eyes 
Post #120493 1st Feb 2012 10:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1