↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Help!!!Wolf Wheel Problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
This has come up from time to time across quite a few forums. As has already been mentioned some come from the factory with HD rims and standard length studs meaning a couple of threads of the wheelnut show. I've run them like that on several Defenders in the past without issue and have a set of HD rims for winter use fitted now. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #110543 29th Dec 2011 12:25pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
diesel_jim wrote:
Brand new from the factory with HD steel rims they have the normal length studs on, with the 1~2mm depth thing.

No problem at all.

Exactly the same on mine. I queried it when it was new, and that how the factory supply them. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #110544 29th Dec 2011 12:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Surrey Rover

22900013A wrote:
diesel_jim wrote:
Brand new from the factory with HD steel rims they have the normal length studs on, with the 1~2mm depth thing.

No problem at all.

Exactly the same on mine. I queried it when it was new, and that how the factory supply them.

Given what actually passes through the factory as "good enough" I am not so sure that would reassure me Confused Nick

2.2 110 Tipper
Post #110549 29th Dec 2011 1:03pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Romadog wrote:
Wolf wheels are alot heavier than standard and therefore need a longer stud as the steel around stud holes is thicker and hence needs to be stronger. When changing hubs need to be removed. If done carefully all you'll need extra will be some new flange gaskets. I have just done this swap and will be fitting my new wolfs tomorrow hopefully, if the new genuine nuts have arrived.

Not so - the studs only secure the wheel against the hub - whilst it is important that they hold tight they do not need to protude as far as the end of the bolt. The weight of the wheel is taken by the flange of the hub fitting in the centre of the wheel, not the studs,

Series vehicles often had shorter studs which did need replacing for wolf rims which is where the confusion comes from. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #110973 31st Dec 2011 1:31am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12