↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Driver demand problem 1 fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
balmybaldwin wrote:
Can you be more specific with your symptoms? When this occured do you lose power to the extent it won't go beyond idle or is it more like a "Limp mode" that responds to the accelerator, but not very well?

I'm getting the latter symptom particularly on a long hill where the car responds normally until suddenly it doesn't (feels like a limp mode and then can't maintain more than about 60mph. As far as I can tell this is not pedal related as my numbers look normal on the nanocom. I'm yet to look at the wastegate, but a new MAF didn't fix it (old one was def faulty).

Sounds like it is over-boosting. Either sticky waste gate or incorrectly adjusted. Do you have a boost gauge?
Post #1030399 3rd Apr 2024 7:29pm
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
No, but I have a nanocom, just starting to look at logs now
Post #1030415 3rd Apr 2024 8:16pm
Phil68

United Kingdom 
Just a note that my 'driver demand' fault did not appear straight away. I went looking somewhere else before it appeared in the nanocom.
Post #1030419 3rd Apr 2024 8:24pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
It can be logged sometimes if someone messes with the pedal or pumps it like a looney.
Post #1030438 4th Apr 2024 1:16am
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
geobloke wrote:
balmybaldwin wrote:
Can you be more specific with your symptoms? When this occured do you lose power to the extent it won't go beyond idle or is it more like a "Limp mode" that responds to the accelerator, but not very well?

I'm getting the latter symptom particularly on a long hill where the car responds normally until suddenly it doesn't (feels like a limp mode and then can't maintain more than about 60mph. As far as I can tell this is not pedal related as my numbers look normal on the nanocom. I'm yet to look at the wastegate, but a new MAF didn't fix it (old one was def faulty).

Sounds like it is over-boosting. Either sticky waste gate or incorrectly adjusted. Do you have a boost gauge?

It seems it was, and the cause the waste gate. It built up to 1.33 bar, then drops and wont recover above 1.03 bar until stopped and restarted.

Taken the heatshield off this afternoon and waste gate was almost completely solid. now loosened up and the problem seems to have gone.
Post #1030515 4th Apr 2024 6:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12