↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Replacements/refunds etc go outdoors question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ianb

United Kingdom 
Replacements/refunds etc go outdoors question
Hey guys, last year bought a jet boil from Go outdoors to the tune of £89 (had a deal on), I seem to recall during the purchasing there was some issue with the members card I had that was in some randoms name etc, so long and the short of it, when they sorted it on another visit I somehow don't have a copy of the purchase on the account...

The paper receipt is "somewhere" - likely never to be found again.

Anyway, it malfunctioned and I went in to the store to figure out next step... anyway, lots of faffing with me having no actual proof of purchase other than an incomplete pick up online order (their end incomplete), and a statement payment to the same tune as the online order... so in fairness to them all a little bit circumstantial...

So they basically discounted my original paid amount on a new one and I paid the difference and left with a new jet boil. I'm 99% happy with this outcome to be honest, as no receipt, no official proof of purchase and the manager made a judgment call on it, I count myself lucky.

The left over 1% however, thinks, is it fair that I had to pay £30 odd squids, for a replacement for something that broke within 1 year of purchase? It sounds odd and that I shouldn't have to, it should just be replaced FOC... but as I said, if I'd gone in there figuratively guns blazing, I could have left with the same broken jet boil and my lack of proof of purchase. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Post #1029760 29th Mar 2024 6:14pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The receipt is the issue you have there, because without that you could have bought it anywhere (from their point of view) so I think really they gave your the benefit of the doubt in a good way that was still in some way beneficial to you.

If you had the receipt then you’d be in a better position, and then they’d probably reclaim from the manufacturer.
But without that, they can’t really do any paperwork to do that.

It is a real pain with receipts, they often go missing, get lost or blow away.
Most of us keep high value ones, but mid and lower value ones sometimes disappear and get lost. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1029766 29th Mar 2024 7:01pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 
@Custom90

Yeh that was my thought. Tbh as above I'm 99% happy, instead of an £89 broken jet boil, I have a brand new one, which from a "man math" accounting point of view, cost me £36... and they I definitely was at their discretionary mercy. I was just thinking from a receipt in hand standpoint, I suppose I'd be able to argue it's broken and thus should be replaced free of charge, regardless of a price increase... I think Laughing

Unfortunately, because of my work, I can have hundreds of receipts fortnightly, so my personal receipts tend to be ignored/binned. Obv, big ones, or landrover ones are foldered, but they're less common. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
Post #1029784 29th Mar 2024 10:01pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I agree with you and your man maths Ian.

I’d be ok with that situation - notwithstanding that if you had the receipt you’d be in a better position.

Enjoy your brew(s) 👍
Post #1029818 30th Mar 2024 12:00pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
You don't need a receipt if the item is faulty. Proof of payment is sufficient.
Read the section 'Can you exchange or get a refund without a receipt?'
from https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ad...s3G2z9V7lW

They should have just given you a new item without any extra payment.
Post #1030028 1st Apr 2024 10:21am
Ianb

United Kingdom 
What is proof of payment if not a receipt?
All I had was a bank statement showing payment for an amount to Go outdoors, nothing concrete showing what that amount was for. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
Post #1030077 1st Apr 2024 4:17pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Alpkit do a very good jetboil equivalent, £50. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1030101 1st Apr 2024 6:59pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Ianb wrote:
What is proof of payment if not a receipt?
All I had was a bank statement showing payment for an amount to Go outdoors, nothing concrete showing what that amount was for.

Doesn't matter.
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ad...TEK2g0YuEy

They have a wizard to help draft a letter too.
Post #1030164 2nd Apr 2024 9:10am
Procta

United Kingdom 
When i worked for asda, Dealing with the electrical department, I would deal with customers that didn't have receipts, basically that was the guarantee. What we had, was a book on everything piece of electrical item the company had sold. All it had was a model number, bar code and a date stamp from what ever year till cut off point. Some customers would try to say, "we bought it from here, 3 week ago" etc, but they sharp took their goods back, when they saw the electrical book.
If the item was in the book, we would use the barcode that was in the book, and what ever the price came up with on the Till, is what the customer go back for the item. They were happy just to put the rest towards a replacement. Which i suspect maybe the case here, plus you had some sort of proof you bought something there anyway.

We have had a few try and pull the guarantee card though, trying to get it renewed before it ran out, by returning the "faulty unit" and getting a replacement with a fresh 1 year guarantee, Asda clocked on to this, and they said yeah there is your replacement item, but the guarantee has not been renewed. People sharp knocked that on the head. Even had one bloke trying to return a Big back CRT Tv, so they could get an LCD one. Argued the toss, said he got it weeks ago, i was like ok, Little did he know that, production had stopped some time ago, and the date stamp proved it. He 5hit a hairy worm, when i got the book of electricals out, and it wasn't in the current range, but in the range that ended years ago. He would have got only what was on the Till, if the barcode showed up. He belled asda house, told them his little story and they told him to do one basically, so he did and left the TV. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1030326 3rd Apr 2024 8:40am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
jst wrote:
Alpkit do a very good jetboil equivalent, £50.

My Alpkit one managed to keep twas, coffees and hot chocolates going for 300 odd people at an open day held at some local Abbey ruins whilst we sorted the proper kettles out.

Caterers were astonished it was still going on the little bottle of gas. I just happened to have it in the back of the Defender. It was already half empty but got them out of the hole. Kept up with the flood of people as well. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #1030351 3rd Apr 2024 12:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1