↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > MY2011/2012 Recall Action P047/048 Front Axle Case
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 32 of 37 <123 ... 313233 ... 353637>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Sadly I have no doubt that you are right.

Like I said, they'll expend more time and effort avoiding any liability than it would take to put it right.
Post #1022296 23rd Jan 2024 4:20pm
LET'S OFF-ROAD

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Keswick Green
What are the options for axle case replacement then?

Maer in Poland make an HD one, the Britpart HD one has apparently been discontinued, there was a KAMDIFFS one mentioned in another thread but apparently they no longer make them.

Are there any other options and can you buy a genuine Land Rover HD or military one from anywhere still? If so where? I'm looking to buy but don't see many options. Thanks.

I am posting the above on behalf of someone who has a vehicle of an age to be in the affected range. Am I right in thinking my 2016 model should be completely safe? It was on 700 miles when I bought it so I doubt it has had a replacement axle.

blackwolf wrote:
It is easy to tell if you have a friction-welded axle tube, the appearance is very different to a MIG weld (and is illustrated adequately earlier in the threads on the subject).

Production of friction-welded axles came to an end late in 2010 and it was not until late 2013 that the problems associated with the initial MIG welded axles were identified and resolved, so any vehicle built within this period could have a defective axle. I do not know of any way to distinguish between a MIG welded axle built during the problem period and a MIG welded axle built after the problem was corrected, and I don't believe axle numbers were recorded, so there will be an ongoing risk in the case of vehicles with non-original axles and with second-hand MIG welded axles.
Post #1022435 24th Jan 2024 11:33pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Just get a used one of the correct vintage. Easy enough to overhaul, no special tools required. Easy to fit.
Post #1022444 25th Jan 2024 5:18am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
AFAIK, the military used a standard case, but with weld on trusses. Stand to be corrected however. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1022446 25th Jan 2024 8:26am
Sawn

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Alpine White
Update on the axle break and land rovers response .

Refusal to replace under modifications and misuse.

They have blamed the tires.

I wasn't in the position to swap at the point of recovery and honestly didn't think they would deny on a recall issue.

Doesn't help that the dealer quoted landrover over £8k to fix

Ffs
Post #1022555 26th Jan 2024 2:33pm
blackwolf

I wish, I really wish, that I wasn't surprised.

Despicable and irresponsible in equal measure, and exactly what we have come to expect.

For info, I was searching Ebay for second-hand axle cases yesterday to see what is out there, and there are many available at reasonable prices. If you were able/prepared to do the work yourself (or if you have a tame reliable independent) you should be able to get up and running for substantially under 1/10th of that figure.

As we are both in the same part of the country, can I ask which dealer that was?
Post #1022562 26th Jan 2024 2:50pm
Sawn

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Alpine White
It was Hendy Christchurch , I can't fathom that cost tho! Unless they felt like the whole assembly would need replacing, or half shafts would be knackered etc etc.

Some good options out there like you mentioned , but to replace with second hand could mean the axles having the same fault?
I'm torn what to do
I'm leaning towards a heavy duty case none lr
Post #1022567 26th Jan 2024 3:13pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
£50 for a second hand axle case, plus a bit for some new gaskets and seals, plus a day of your time (or a day’s labour if not so inclined).

£8k is laughable
Post #1022575 26th Jan 2024 3:53pm
blackwolf

Just make sure you buy a friction-welded case from an earlier vehicle. It is patently obvious if the axle is friction-welded because there will be two parallel and very neat weld "beads" round the tube. A MIG-welded axle will have only a single bead, probably wider and less regular. I am not aware of any easy way to tell a defective MIG-welded axle from a later good MIG-welded axle, hence the recommendation to opt for a friction-welded axle.

HD options are now limited, apparently the Britpart one has been discontinued (possibly since Britpart is the only supplier of parts which can be even dodgier than Landrover themselves)!

I wondered if it was Hendy Christchurch. I don't rate Hendy group at all highly (a bit higher than Inchcape though) and was very sorry when what had been Ottons in Salisbury was subsumed into the mediocrity that is Hendy.

A new (bare) axle case from a dealer comes in at around £2,600, I believe. There will be about £50 of other sundry parts (which are listed on the P047 Recall Action instruction), which also estimates the time to do the job as 3 hours. Three hours will be £300 + VAT min at Hendy I think. As your axle has actually broken, you may need some additional parts, most possible a new halfshaft assembly, which will add about £370. So that makes it about £3500.

I have no idea how they account for the remaining £4500++ ! I can only assume that it is the way they say "go way, we don't want your business" without using those words.
Post #1022580 26th Jan 2024 4:00pm
blackwolf

Incidentally there are some good illustrations of the two different weld styles on this forum, I think earlier in this thread (but possibly in one of the several other threads).
Post #1022581 26th Jan 2024 4:01pm
John P

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
This is a picture off my wife's 2012 90 2.2 TDCI which has had the recall done.

Click image to enlarge

This is a picture off my 2010 110 2.4 TDCI with no recall.

Click image to enlarge

I believe mine is the friction weld.
Post #1022587 26th Jan 2024 4:40pm
blackwolf

Yes, top photo MIG-welded (bad axle!), bottom photo friction-welded (good axle!).

Give that the bracket mod doesn't stop the axle from breaking, it just makes it least likely you'll die screaming in a fireball when it does (a fact acknowledged by LR in the original recall), I wonder what happens if you have the brackets fitted and then the axle still fails....

Why do I suspect that LR will say that they did the recall so no further action is needed? Sad
Post #1022601 26th Jan 2024 6:15pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Simmonites do reconditioned old axle cases for about £750 DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #1022604 26th Jan 2024 6:25pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
I bought an old but like new 300tdi axle case for £100, though I think I was in the right place at the right time for that. However I also swapped my rear axle case which I bought for £80 from a guy that does lots of play days etc in a 300tdi Disco. He buys old discos, takes the parts he needs (diffs, halfshafts etc, then brakes them and scraps what's left, which usually includes the axle less afore mentioned diffs etc.

The axle case I got was rusty but in decent order (all the brackets and diff pan was solid). I used electrolysis to clean it and made a good job of it. Whilst I can't say it was like new, I can say it was the next best thing. I made sure as much of the rust was gone before using phosphoric acid to neutralise any remaining rust before painting it with zinc rich primer and a black top coat. I used my diff, halfshafts, etc, etc but replaced nuts, bolts, gaskets, seals, bearings, lock nuts, brake discs and calipers. Bearings and seals were Timken/Corteco but calipers and discs were Britpart - though pads were delphi. I think total cost was around £450 - but that was before silly price rises! I did all the work myself.

You need to be aware that a 300tdi axle case may have a different panhard rod bracket, but I think the rest is the same, so an easy enough alteration.

You can do things on a budget if you're willing to put the work in!

Click image to enlarge

My rear axle after fitting the refurbed axle case.
Post #1022657 26th Jan 2024 11:49pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I also got a 300tdi axle case, for £85 including free perfect condition chromed swivel assemblies, stubs, hubs etc. Very Happy
Just need to find the time to replace the panhard rod brackets on the case as I want the later design, and perhaps a day to swap over.
But since the brackets have been installed on my axle, and I have been a good boy, I am not that worried anymore about dying in a fireball when the inevitable happens. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1022668 27th Jan 2024 7:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 32 of 37 <123 ... 313233 ... 353637>