↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Will an OBD reader diagnose faulty/failed glowplugs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Will an OBD reader diagnose faulty/failed glowplugs?
Hi - as title, I'm having to crank for longer and getting extra smoke on start-up, particularly on cold mornings. The smoke seems to clear once warming up. I suspect glowplugs - will a scanner such as the OBDLink MX+ show me any fault codes relating to glowplugs?
Many thanks.
Post #1025180 19th Feb 2024 3:02pm
neon1991

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Firenze Red
I've got the britpart lynx evo and it does. glow plugs are fairly easy to test once you have them out of the car. there's a fuse for them which is worth checking and the wiring loom for the glow plugs has been know to become lose (which then causes the fuse to blow)
Post #1025184 19th Feb 2024 3:29pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
On a 2.4 you can't diagnose an individual plug, only that the supply out from the relay to the glow plugs is working.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #1025185 19th Feb 2024 3:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Your symptoms are the same as I had last year. Changed the glow plugs and the difference was huge - easy start and no smoke.

A set of Bosch glow plugs are not expensive and the change is not a terrible job. I cleaned the inlet manifold and changed he seals at he same time.

I would suggest cracking on and changing them.
Post #1025186 19th Feb 2024 3:38pm
pistonfields

Switzerland 
You can use a clamp meter to measure current on the wire going to the glow plugs to see if they work at all. If the connection BETWEEN the glow plugs is accessible then measure between each glow plug around the metal strip that connects them. You should get more or less even distribution of amperage between the glow plugs (that should add up to the value measured on the wire feeding them). If value doesn't change before and after one plug it is not working.
More often than not on car engines getting to the plugs is the problematic part. Honestly, haven't checked where they are yet on my Puma Mr. Green
Post #1025187 19th Feb 2024 3:39pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Thanks all, I just watched a LR Time vid on testing the plugs on a Disco - I don't have a clamp meter, but might just go ahead and get them all changed as suggested - they are still the original on my 2007.
I'll also check the wiring and fuse - thanks!
Post #1025189 19th Feb 2024 4:26pm
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Just had my glow plugs changed on my 2.2 due to starting problems.

For some reason nothing showed up on my permanently fitted Ultra Gauge but as soon as I plugged in a cheapy bluetooth one it flagged up problems with 3 of the plugs.
Post #1025200 19th Feb 2024 5:57pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I see very often people have to renew these plugs. What mileage? Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #1025256 19th Feb 2024 11:59pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
When they fail and the engine becomes difficult to start.

It is impossible to give a typical mileage since it entirely depends on the use of the vehicle, the environment and climate, and how much the heater plugs have had to do in their service lives (they work harder in the cold than the warm, of course).

My Defender lives in the south of England, is used a lot in all seasons, and has all original plugs at 275k miles. I have a new set on the shelf, just in case though.
Post #1025280 20th Feb 2024 10:07am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Thumbs Up Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #1025288 20th Feb 2024 11:06am
Scotm

Mine were just changed at 12 years 122k after spending most of its life in NE Scotland.

I wonder if the 2.2 might go through them more as they sometime operate to support the DPF regeneration?
Post #1025320 20th Feb 2024 2:42pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Do they? Why? Seems odd....
Post #1025327 20th Feb 2024 4:16pm
Scotm

When challenged by Blackwolf, I was doubting myself for a minute (!) where I had read it but here it is out of the workshop manual:

Active Regeneration
Active regeneration starts when the particulate loading of the DPF reaches a threshold as monitored or determined by the
DPF control software. The threshold calculation is based on driving style, distance travelled and back pressure signals from
the differential pressure sensor.
Active regeneration generally occurs every 250 miles (400 km) although this is dependant on how the vehicle is driven.
For example, if the vehicle is driven at low loads in urban traffic regularly, active regeneration will occur more often. This
is due to the rapid build-up of particulates in the DPF than if the vehicle is driven at high speeds when passive
regeneration will have occurred.
The DPF software incorporates a mileage trigger which is used as back-up for active regeneration. If active regeneration
has not been initiated by a back pressure signal from the differential pressure sensor, regeneration is requested based on
distance travelled.
Active regeneration of the DPF is commenced when the temperature of the DPF is increased to the combustion
temperature of the particles. The DPF temperature is raised by increasing the exhaust gas temperature. This is achieved
by introducing post-injection of fuel after the pilot and main fuel injections have occurred.
This is determined by the DPF software monitoring the signals from the two DPF temperature sensors to establish the
temperature of the DPF. Depending on the DPF temperature, the DPF software requests the ECM (engine control module)
to perform either one or two post-injections of fuel:
The first post-injection of fuel retards combustion inside the cylinder which increases the temperature of the
exhaust gas.
The second post-injection of fuel is injected late in the power stroke cycle. The fuel partly combusts in the cylinder,
but some unburnt fuel also passes into the exhaust where it creates an exothermic event within the catalytic
converter, further increasing the temperature of the DPF.
The active regeneration process takes up to 20 minutes to complete. The first phase increases the DPF temperature to
500°C (932°F). The second phase further increases the DPF temperature to 600°C (1112°F) which is the optimum
temperature for particle combustion. This temperature is then maintained for 15-20 minutes to ensure complete
incineration of the particles within the DPF. The incineration process converts the carbon particles to carbon dioxide and
water.
The active regeneration temperature of the DPF is closely monitored by the DPF software to maintain a target temperature
of 600°C (1112°F) at the DPF inlet. The temperature control ensures that the temperatures do not exceed the operational
limits of the turbocharger and the catalytic converter. The turbocharger inlet temperature must not exceed 830°C
(1526°F) and the catalytic converter brick temperature must not exceed 800°C (1472°F) and the exit temperature must
remain below 750°C (1382°F).
During the active regeneration process the following ECM controlled events occur:
The turbocharger is maintained in the fully open position. This minimizes heat transmission from the exhaust gas
to the turbocharger and reduces the rate of exhaust gas flow allowing optimum heating of the DPF. If the driver
demands an increase in engine torque, the turbocharger will respond by closing the vanes as necessary.
The throttle is closed as this assists in increasing the exhaust gas temperature and reduces the rate of exhaust gas
flow which has the effect of reducing the time for the DPF to reach the optimum temperature.
The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve is closed. The use of EGR decreases the exhaust gas temperature and
therefore prevents the optimum DPF temperature being achieved.
The glow plugs are occasionally activated for up to 40 seconds to provide additional heat to assist in raising the
DPF temperature.

If, due to vehicle usage and/or driving style, the active regeneration process cannot take place or is unable to regenerate
the DPF, the dealer can force regenerate the DPF. This is achieved by either driving the vehicle until the engine is at its
normal operating temperature and then driving for a further 20 minutes at speeds of not less than 30 mph (48 km/h) or
by connecting an approved Land Rover diagnostic system to the vehicle which will perform an automated static
regeneration procedure to clean the DPF.
Post #1025351 20th Feb 2024 6:48pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Scotm beat me to it Very Happy

I was just writing. - I need to check the manual regarding if/ how this is implemented on the 2.2 however the articles from Denso and NGK explain the principles , noting the 2.2 glow plugs are Bosch.

Denso.
https://www.denso-am.eu/news/deneur19_28_g...missions-1

NGK
https://www.ngkntk.com/newsroom/blog/emea/...ce-is-key/

This is the irony of DPF’s . Many owners of Vehicles with DPF’s , including me, ensure we go for a regular half hour blast along a dual carriageway or motorway just to ensure the DPF has a good regeneration once a month, even if it is a total pointless journey. How’s that for reducing emissions Rolling with laughter
Post #1025352 20th Feb 2024 6:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1