Home > In Car Electronics > Reverse camera help please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ianb

United Kingdom 
Reverse camera help please
Hi all,
The only thing I've ever wired up before are some speakers and I'm convinced that was luck combined with it being so simple even I could do it...

Now I have a reversing camera bought from Halfrauds... The instructions seem pretty straightforward I guess - Break into the reversing light, ground the black and plug it all in (after fidning a suitable location for the camera)... But rather than doing what you're supposed to do, I was considering instead of breaking into reverse light wire, that I run that cable to a toggle switch on the dash (of which there are many) then running a 12live to that toggle switch, so the camera can be switched on whenever...reason being I don't want to have it going onoffonoffonoff as I try to jiggle the defender with its notorious turning circle into a spot, I can just turn it on, faff about into the spot, then turn it off.

It all sounds pretty doable and straightforward to me, on paper...see:

Click image to enlarge

Problem is the cables are about as short as they are on that paper and I don't really know what wire or connectors I need in order to get power from (I'm guessing a 12v cigarette lighter) to the toggle switch and then to the camera... and the toggle switch has tabs on the back of it and I don't know if I need to ground those or what I'm doing there...

Can anyone advise or should I abandon ship? Laughing The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Post #1017689 7th Dec 2023 11:55am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
My reverse camera is mounted inside the back door, attached to the high level brake light cover (for me its so I can see the trailer, not so much reversing into a space)

Mine is wired into a permanent live, but my screen is on the head unit and I can switch to the camera by pressing the button on the head unit.

As for extending the wires, I would solder the ends and then heat shrink to cover the bare wires/joins. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #1017693 7th Dec 2023 12:34pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
The LR high level work light is wired in the way you want. The positive is taken from the back of the cigarette lighter socket and taken to a rocker switch on the dash. The cigarette lighter socket is a nightmare to remove from the front.
The feed from the rocker switch is taken up the passenger A pillar and to the rear of the vehicle in the edge of the head lining. Termination depends on where you are siting the camera. An in line fuse adds additional safety.

You really need a multimeter or a 12v indicator lamp to check polarity. You also need to be able to safely make up connectors or be able to solder and use heat shrink to extend the wiring.

It certainly is a DIY job, but probably not for a first time attempt at wiring.
Post #1017700 7th Dec 2023 1:30pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 
Thanks guys. I appreciate the honesty Balvaig. Sadly I'm surrounded by people with the same level of vehicle electrical expertise as myself... The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Post #1017701 7th Dec 2023 1:45pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

Since I did this post I now have a double din and camera is on that. however this may help

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46246.html?highlight=camera
Post #1017704 7th Dec 2023 2:06pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Previous owner of my Defender had installed some work lights, with a toggle switch on the dash. So when I fitted the reverse camera, I just spliced off them. That way I do not have the on off on off on off issue as you mentioned..... I just need to remember to switch off the work lights when I park in a tight spot in broad daylight. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1017705 7th Dec 2023 2:14pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^ And hope in the UK that no jobsworth plod picks you up for using work lights without an amber beacon!
Post #1017728 7th Dec 2023 7:02pm
Dinnu

Hmmmm… what defines a work light and a reverse light? Reverse lights can also be manually switched as long there is an indicator in the drivers cabin. And both are above bumper level. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #1017757 8th Dec 2023 7:38am
blackwolf

Light output, as far as I know.

I've had "work lights" on the back and sides of my Defender for more than a decade (they were there long before the beacons and strobes), they're manually switched with in-cab indicators, and I've never been taken to task for using them as reversing lights.

You might have an issue at MoT time if the lights are solely switched with reverse selection.
Post #1017768 8th Dec 2023 8:56am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
To keep this as simple as possible for you and give you the function you are looking for. How about tapping into the heated rear window circuit (at the back of the vehicle). This means you could switch the screen on by turning on the heated rear window.

It would mean the screen would be on whilst you are normally using the HRW but as doubt it is any more distracting than a satnav/dashcam/phone in cradle.

Cables are both available and reasonably easy to access under the drivers side rear light cover in the rear tub.

Just a thought?

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #1017779 8th Dec 2023 10:04am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I’ve had work lights that auto operate with selecting reverse on the back of all my defenders. It’s never failed an MOT with them, the police have seen them and not been bothered, and not questioned when I’ve been pulled by VOSA, even when they did light check, including reverse light.
Post #1017780 8th Dec 2023 10:06am
blackwolf

^^ That may be common sense or ignorance by the authorities but either way it is good to know. I too have never had any issues with mine.
Post #1017781 8th Dec 2023 10:19am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
How about doing it properly and not splicing into anything and put in a fused feed from the battery.
I'll post this before someone tells you scotchloks are a good idea 🤣
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #1017816 8th Dec 2023 4:14pm
Dinnu

My plan was to get a piggy back from the reverse light and use a delay off relay to solve the on off on off issue... but as with many of my projects, it had remained as a plan, probably because my workaround is working. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #1017833 8th Dec 2023 7:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1