↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 2.4L Injector Seat cleaning.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Yukyuk

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Thanks everyone for the help.
I sucessfully removed the injectors and cleaned up the seats. The front two injectors (on the left of the photo) were both leaking past the copper seating washers. I sent all 4 injectors off to M & B Southampton to test. The front two were within spec and the rear two were out of spec and so were replaced with refurbished ones. Costs : £20 each for the testing and £160 each for a refurbished injector.
Prices were ok but, to have two injectors go out of spec after only 80,000 miles!!!
Notes:
- I used a torque wrench were I could. The high pressure fuel lines were torqued correctly and it is not as much as you would think, so use a torque wrench!
- I had to guess at the 6ftlb for the injector bolts as my torque wrench did not go down that far.
- Take your time, it's not complicated,
- Buy the copper washers from a good source, like the injector dealers.
- Choose your injector servicers carefully, I was pointed away from my local services by friends I have in local garages.

All sounds alot better (doesn't sound like a tractor) and there is no smoke coming out of the oil filler.
Just the problem of putting the new codes into the ECU, my iCarsoft tool says it should but keeps chrashing when I try it. So I'm going to try Forscan.

Again thanks for all the advice and pointers.
Post #1016515 27th Nov 2023 2:36pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Good you sorted things out.

When I need injectors tested, I have the opportunity to stand and look at the test bench. It is so easy to get BS from service providers these days. At least here in South America. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #1016520 27th Nov 2023 3:02pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yukyuk wrote:
- I had to guess at the 6ftlb for the injector bolts as my torque wrench did not go down that far.

it is difficult (and not cheap) to find good, accurate torque wrenches which operate at very low torques, for obvious reasons the higher the torque the easier it is to make an affordable wrench. My "go to" wrench of choice for delicate tightening is now one of these, probably the best teeny-weeny torque wrench I have yet come across, and one which has the advantage over all conventional designs that it is not possible to exceed the set torque (a click-type, whilst easy to use, does allow you to keep pulling, this does not).

By no means cheap, but cheap tools cost more in the long run.
Post #1016533 27th Nov 2023 4:34pm
Minch90

United Kingdom 
I use my bike (push not motor 😂) torque wrench sets, these too will disengage once the torque is met. Has also legitimised bike tool purchases in MrsM90’s eyes 👍 2.4TDCI 90 - everyday brilliance
S3 V8 Lightweight - in the garage being ignored #newchassistime
S3 lightweight - 2nd car 24V fire risk with a full tilt and the windscreen down
S1 80" - first car fun - 75mph in neutral downhill once #wobblesallround
Post #1016562 27th Nov 2023 7:46pm
Yukyuk

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Update:
Just used Forscan to update the injector values. First I used Forscan to confirm the present values and the that the Cylinder 1 is at the front of the vehicle. Forscan has a drawing of the cylinder location order, spot on.
Worked a treat. I used VLinker FS with the Windows 10 software and it worked flawlessly, unlike the iCarsoft. Great tool and so cheap!
Post #1016864 30th Nov 2023 6:41pm
Waka56

Germany 
Hi guys. Just done mine today, also change the rockercover gasket. Everything was fairly clean, but I still have a little blow back (no smoke) when I open the oil cap. Should there be 0 air pressure? I did all this because there was some oil everywhere so I thought it was a good start. The injectors were all fairly clean, but the oil defo smelt of diesel Rolling Eyes Making my Defender great again. (Or trying to at least xD)
Post #1017421 4th Dec 2023 6:00pm
Daveish

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
You should get a little bit of blow by. If it's bad it proper chuffs but healthy blow by is something you can feel but is not smokey.
Post #1017542 5th Dec 2023 5:07pm
Waka56

Germany 
Ok, thanks for the info.. I'll try to forget about it for a bit and follow the oil consumption. (I'm a new owner Smile ) Making my Defender great again. (Or trying to at least xD)
Post #1017667 6th Dec 2023 9:40pm
Waka56

Germany 
Waka56 wrote:
Hi guys. Just done mine today, also change the rockercover gasket. Everything was fairly clean, but I still have a little blow back (no smoke) when I open the oil cap. Should there be 0 air pressure? I did all this because there was some oil everywhere so I thought it was a good start. The injectors were all fairly clean, but the oil defo smelt of diesel Rolling Eyes

Damn, took a drive today and checked was oil was at temperature. Definitely still blowing a bit of oil and smoke. Annoying... I hope I did not clean the seats properly, but considering how clean the injectors were 🫣🫣🫣 Making my Defender great again. (Or trying to at least xD)
Post #1018621 17th Dec 2023 10:12pm
Daveish

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
My 2 cents is that the tdci's aren't the pinnacle of engineering tolerance and unless it's proper chuffing like a train, like in this example here: then I would put it down to being 'acceptable'.

Its a bit of work, but if you take the rocker cover off you can get a good look to see if you can find evidence of one still leaking. You would need a pair of new injector clamp bolts. You could also take the intake manifold off so you can remove the glow plugs and do a compression test.
That way you'll get a pretty good idea of overall engine health, and find out if the blow by you have is normal, coming from injectors, or coming from worn piston rings/scored sleeves. Also worth comparing to another 2.4 (landy or transit) if you know someone in your area.
Post #1018630 18th Dec 2023 1:32am
Waka56

Germany 
Yeah I'll have my injectors tested first because I also have a noise. If you wanna have a look, I shared a video for this noise that I think is related to the blow by. https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90234-15.html

Have a good day 😃
(I did take the rocker cover out to change the gasket because of the motor being really oily. This is at least fixed for now, but with such pressure.. 😅) Making my Defender great again. (Or trying to at least xD)
Post #1018650 18th Dec 2023 11:13am
Harriec

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Epsom Green
Hi Guys....thanks for this...a really interesting read. I am about to do mine. (2.4 2009) does anyone in the Sussex area have a cleaning kit I could borrow...it seems like one of those silly things to spend on when I'll probably only use it once. Mine is sounding quite tappy and I have an oil leak coming from this area. I've also noticed the puffing from the filler cap so all pints to this injector leak. Planning on doing this next weekend so fingers crossed!

Last edited by Harriec on 7th Jan 2024 1:35pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1020368 7th Jan 2024 1:01pm
MK

You can get away with a long flat screwdriver (hopefully not very sharp) wrapped with a cloth. Just do it gently and with enough light. Puma 110" SW

Post #1020369 7th Jan 2024 1:34pm
Harriec

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Epsom Green
Thanks for that.
Could someone confirm that these are the parts I need?

https://www.lrparts.net/da5156-camshaft-ga...ngine.html

https://www.lrparts.net/lr019168-injector-...ngine.html

Is there anything I'm missing for this?
Post #1020618 9th Jan 2024 11:45am
MK

Yes, those are the parts. Most of the times I only change the copper washers. I have not removed the head cover and I doubt the bolts stretch. Others may have a different opinion. Puma 110" SW

Post #1020622 9th Jan 2024 12:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>