↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Which Seat Risers!? MUD UK?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Glad to see that being taller isn’t all it’s cracked up to be…lol Rolling with laughter Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #1016136 23rd Nov 2023 10:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
donmacn

I think it will be difficult to get that 'legroom but no impact on the rear passengers' combo.

I'm not that tall, just shy of 6', but my shape gives me a longer back, and shorter legs. Too much information maybe, but I fitted the Exmoor trim riser rails and found that I didn't like the pressure under the back of my knees. With risers you also need to lift yourself onto the higher seat cushion when getting into the car. Had I left them in I would no doubt have got very used to that, but at the time (having got used to the standard height for over a decade) I felt I didn't like the extra consideration.

Another thing to think about is other drivers? My wife drives the car on occasion, more regularly back in those days when the kids were still at home, and she found the lifted seat to be a greater inconvenience.

My easy solution was to get those spacers someone on ebay is selling, for the rear mounting bolts only. This lifts the back of the seat, but leaves the front as standard. It does allow the seat to be racked further back and in my opinion is a good compromise. Quite a 'minimalistic' modification too.

Horses for courses.

(Edit - just noticed this is essentially what 'nosnibod' has suggested, just using a specific spacer rather than washers) Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #1016137 23rd Nov 2023 10:50am
ForbesOverland

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Indus Silver
excossack wrote:

But now the cubby box feels too low

Ahhh. That is a good point that I hadnt considered. The cubby box being too low! In my last Defender I had an extra tall one!

Might need to go back to the MUD website then!
Post #1016185 23rd Nov 2023 6:08pm
ForbesOverland

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Indus Silver
Thank you everyone for all comments and contributions to my conundrum!

I've ordered a set of the MUD rails and will give them a whirl. I am built in that I have long legs and a short body/arms (maybe a bit like a T-Rex) so I am hoping that visibility impact that a few have mentioned wont be a major problem for me.

All in the fine tuning I guess. I am convinced that I ruined my last Defender when I put in Recaro's! My current one has the bog standard seats and I've found the drive to be so much more comfortable on long journeys
Post #1016186 23rd Nov 2023 6:18pm
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
These are the low profile seat risers

https://www.4x4overlander.com/product/defender-seat-rails/

I found them much better than the Mud rails and playing with spacers.

They lift the seat by the smallest amount required to extend backwards over the seat box TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #1016189 23rd Nov 2023 6:43pm
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
Leamreject wrote:
I’ve fitted the mud one but only to the drivers seat, not sure why you’d need the passengers seat lifted?

I’m only 5’6 and completely understand the issue Hank raised as you do tend to be looking down through the windows once a lifter is added.

Because passengers like leg room as well🤷‍♂️
Post #1016221 24th Nov 2023 1:04am
ossrider

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
I've tried 3 or 4 different sets of seat risers but just couldn't get on with the overall raised seating position and having to bend down to look under the front screen and out the side of the vehicle for anything other than straight forward driving.

Finally settled on spacer washers only on the rear of the seat, just enough to allow the seat to slide back a little further.

Combine this with a smaller steering wheel and I'm happy with the set up.

I am just 6' but have the usual mid life sciatica etc so needed to find a little more adjustment then standard.

I guess like most things each to their own and everyone may have an individual requirement. Hope you find yours Smile
Post #1016348 25th Nov 2023 3:36pm
Simon dlb

Kenya 
Yup, I used a few washers too. Worked well for me, cost nothing and I didn’t need to change the steering wheel. Having said that I had already pushed the rear seat back a few inches, so there was never an issue with the cavernous space that was available there. The original fixing bolts seemed to have plenty of thread to accommodate this. Puma 2.4 2010
Post #1016448 26th Nov 2023 8:15pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I made my own risers a few years ago out of 36mm box section but when I put a pair of RX8 seats in I struggled to get the room between the steering wheel and the seat squab so I tapered them down from back to front. One of the best things I did was to weld some tabs on the sides of the rails that corresponds to the seat fixing points so the seats are moved away from the door by around 25mm closer to the cubby box. Takes your shoulder off the B post, yes you are offset to the steering wheel but there are a lot of vehicles around from the manufacturer that aren't exactly symmetrical. I also have swopped the handbrake lever for an old Range Rover one and have it on the top of the seatbox so it's not digging into the back of my left leg
Post #1016472 27th Nov 2023 12:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12