↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Which Seat Risers!? MUD UK?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ForbesOverland

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Indus Silver
Which Seat Risers!? MUD UK?
Afternoon all,

I have read and read and then read some more and I am still non the wiser!

I have a 130 HCPU and three relatively small boys. I am looking for probably what even Indiana Jones couldnt find in that I am looking to increase my leg room whilst not taking away leg space from the poor unfortunate child who ends up sat behind me.

I think the previous owner has just moved the existing seat rails back and whilst it's great for me, it gives the little one behind me no leg room at all and I just end up being kicked in the back for the entire journey!

I've looked at the Far Corners solution, but I dont like the fact that they make the rear base of the seat sit higher than the front (I like a little under knee support) and I have also discounted a lot of the eBay cheapies based on the (what seems like) whole day's research I have done.

I am drawn the the MUD UK Seat Rails, I really like their products, and I am hoping that they will raise me up to give me a little more leg room without compromising the person sat behind...

Am I making any sense? or talking complete nonsense! Can anyone make any recommendations? Or anyone with experience of the MUD Seat Rails?

I'm 6'...

Last edited by ForbesOverland on 22nd Nov 2023 6:07pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1016027 22nd Nov 2023 5:24pm
paul 123

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Caledonian Blue
i made my own from 40x40 box section steel
Post #1016031 22nd Nov 2023 5:54pm
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
I have the mud seat rails, they raise you up about an inch and push you a bit further back, they are dead easy to fit and you end up with a bit of space under your seat which is handy for a cloth or windscreen scraper and suchlike. Fitting them and a smaller steering wheel makes things much more comfortable.

No downsides as far as I’m concerned.
Post #1016037 22nd Nov 2023 6:05pm
ForbesOverland

paul 123 wrote:
i made my own from 40x40 box section steel

I am in the process of trying to learn the difference between one end of a spanner to the other, and whilst I would love to be capable of fabricating things like this myself, my lack of practical abilities coupled with my 'Fisher Price - My First Tool Set', I fear that trying this myself would be a galaxy leap too far!
Post #1016038 22nd Nov 2023 6:11pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Baltic Blue
I used the Equipe ones in my 130.
Keep the seat level and a bit higher.

https://www.equipe4x4.com/shop-equipe4x4/s...2/?lang=en 2011 130 Utility Body
2005 110 Van
Post #1016040 22nd Nov 2023 6:17pm
ForbesOverland

Jabberwocky wrote:
I have the mud seat rails, they raise you up about an inch and push you a bit further back, they are dead easy to fit and you end up with a bit of space under your seat which is handy for a cloth or windscreen scraper and suchlike. Fitting them and a smaller steering wheel makes things much more comfortable.

Thank you for the reply! Yeah, the steering wheel was ordered today actually (taking advantage of the black friday % off deals).

I've been on and off the idea for a while, in fact I thought it would be one of the first things I would purchase, but I've been surprised how much I have actually liked the bog standard wheel!

I didnt want to go too small and too sporty, so I have gone for the Exmoor Raven Wood wheel with (hopefully) a slimline boss. I think its 15 inches in diameter so hopefully that will give a bit of space.

How do the MUD seat rails impact rear legroom? (Also glad to hear they are simple to fit, I am really trying to work on my basic skills/abilities/confidence to do jobs like this!!)
Post #1016041 22nd Nov 2023 6:19pm
ForbesOverland

mwestcrew wrote:
I used the Equipe ones in my 130.
Keep the seat level and a bit higher.

https://www.equipe4x4.com/shop-equipe4x4/s...2/?lang=en

Thanks for your reply, they arent ones I have come across so I will take a look, thanks!

How to they impact the leg room in the rear?
Post #1016043 22nd Nov 2023 6:22pm
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
ForbesOverland wrote:
Jabberwocky wrote:

Thank you for the reply! Yeah, the steering wheel was ordered today actually (taking advantage of the black friday % off deals).

I've been on and off the idea for a while, in fact I thought it would be one of the first things I would purchase, but I've been surprised how much I have actually liked the bog standard wheel!

I didnt want to go too small and too sporty, so I have gone for the Exmoor Raven Wood wheel with (hopefully) a slimline boss. I think its 15 inches in diameter so hopefully that will give a bit of space.

How do the MUD seat rails impact rear legroom? (Also glad to hear they are simple to fit, I am really trying to work on my basic skills/abilities/confidence to do jobs like this!!)

My steering wheel is 15 inches as well, really good size. I can’t help you with the rear leg room as my double cab is now a single cab so no rear passengers to care about. I guess it all depends how far back you push your seat. They push the seat fixings back 1 1/2 inches give or take.
Post #1016051 22nd Nov 2023 6:52pm
ForbesOverland

Fantastic! I am looking forward to the steering wheel arriving!

Ok, I think I am going to just go with it and go with the MUD set! Hopefully they sold the challenge!

Thank you everyone for your replies, really appreciate it!
Post #1016054 22nd Nov 2023 7:10pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I fitted Nak ones I think. They added very little to the front in height. But don’t like the rear raise without the front, so then had to pack the fronts up.
Post #1016076 22nd Nov 2023 9:39pm
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
I tried the Mud rails and didn't like how high they raised the entire seat.

I found some low profile rails that give the rearward travel with minimal raising of the seat base.

The OP is asking how to reduce the impact on second row passengers.. Not sure if one set of rails is better than another here because they all help the seat slide further backwards over the seat bix TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #1016110 23rd Nov 2023 7:19am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
I have just fitted mud rails to both seats. Its taken me a week or so to get used to being that much higher up, but I do need to swap the steering wheel for a smaller one.
I am around 5'10 and my eye line is just below the door frame when looking right at junctions.
But now the cubby box feels too low

@andy2111 what rails did you find that gave adjustment but didn't raise you up as high as the mud ones? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #1016127 23rd Nov 2023 9:25am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I'm 6 foot, maybe just over. I fitted seat risers but then removed them again as I found I had to hunch my neck down to see through the windscreen. Not all they are cracked up to be in my opinion > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #1016128 23rd Nov 2023 9:28am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
I’ve fitted the mud one but only to the drivers seat, not sure why you’d need the passengers seat lifted?

I’m only 5’6 and completely understand the issue Hank raised as you do tend to be looking down through the windows once a lifter is added. Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #1016133 23rd Nov 2023 10:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I’m 6’3" and all seat risers lift the seat too much to look out of the side windows easily.

The seats will adjust much further back - what stops them is the lip at the back of the seat box. So what I found works really well is to merely place some thick washers under the rails, lifting the seat just enough for the rail to clear the lip.

It’s minimal cost so easy to experiment and see what works. Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #1016134 23rd Nov 2023 10:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>