↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > M57 questions !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
I've had a couple of LS1's. One with an auto and one with a T56 manual. Both in 4th Gen Camaros. MPG can be good, but it is still a petrol V8.

Best the auto Camaro got was 31.6mpg on a run to Dorset. Would typically average 22-24mpg. The manual in theory should be better on a run, but is probably nearer 18-20mpg for running about. It's just addictive to listen to the V8.

On all honesty I'd expect about 10-20% improvement in mpg over a Rover V8. i.e. if the Rover is doing 15mpg I'd expect 17-18mpg from an LS. The difference is you are probably getting 100-150hp more from the LS for the same mpg or slightly better mpg.
Post #1014765 10th Nov 2023 10:08pm
mata

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
In answer to your OP regarding transfer box control i would say it depends on where your skills lie. A well executed lever and bracket is cheaper and simpler with less to go wrong. But it takes a bit of time to make the bracket, especially if you want the lever in a different position becasue them your potentially into modifying the linkage. The downside is you have a lever which might not be ideal depending what you have planned for your auto console.

The air kit is what i went with as i had no appetite for making the lever work and had strong ideas about what i wanted from my auto console. I'm also quite partial to a bit of an electronics project so saw the potential for going with electronically actuated air valves. I'd also spend ages reverse engineering a PWM turbo actuator to do it, which ultimatly didnt have enough force and also went down another rabbit hole using linear actuators, microprocessor controlled with position feedback to automatically take off pressure and reapply it if it bound up and didnt snick into gear first try. I gave up on that because i couldnt figure out a way to acceptably weather proof the actualtor. Going with the air kit was therefore relativly easy. I used an ARB compressor under the drivers seat - another benifit is being able to pump your tyres up.
Post #1015106 14th Nov 2023 7:24pm
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Thank you Mata

I’ve now ordered the air shifter and an ARB compressor , not the compact but the next one up. I may add a tank at some point and the idea of being able to use air tools and inflate more than tyres was appealing. The reality is I’ll probably never use it !!

I’ve had a centre console knocked up for me by a fantastic chap from the USA (he’s in the UK) , I can’t recommend him enough . CNC’d from MDF and supplied bare , so now need an upholsterer or may even have a crack myself .

Had a chat with Demand Engineering today, a couple of questions

Do I need a centre box and silencer ? I want it to sound nice but I do not want to turn heads…. Too much.

Should I opt for a lookalike Cat downpipe just in case or do I not require one legally ?

Pic of bare cubby , ready to slot into place

Click image to enlarge
 https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #1015129 14th Nov 2023 9:49pm
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I had a Nugget Stuff air filter housing on the puma which I’d quite like to keep . Along with RAI

Is there any point ?

Any clues on whether the air filter would be man enough for an M57 . I may be wrong but isn’t it a Navara filter ? https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #1015190 15th Nov 2023 3:21pm
mata

Bluericky wrote:

Do I need a centre box and silencer ? I want it to sound nice but I do not want to turn heads…. Too much.

Should I opt for a lookalike Cat downpipe just in case or do I not require one legally ?

Click image to enlarge

If you're converting a puma then i believe you need a Cat for the MOT. I have a 'modified' OEM downpipe, it passes visual inspection for the MOT so i would recomend that route. If your defender had a DPF before the conversion (puma 2.2) i believe you should also have a DPF post conversion, but dont quote me.

For the rest of the exhaust i have an MW machines pipe that links the OEM downpipe to an off-the-shelf puma centre section delete pipe that then connects up to the standard puma rear silencer and tail pipe. It isn't loud and is unsestrictive at current power circa 360-380 BHp. I somretimes think about getting a 3" exhaust but the ones i've driven whilst sounding nice at tickover burbling away are too loud when driven hard, definitely head turning territory, which isnt my bag.
Post #1018827 20th Dec 2023 3:59pm
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel XS CSW Auto Santorini Black
Following this thread with great interest as considering a M57N2 into my puma 110.

Have you had to use a p38 steering box on the outside of the chassis rail due to space? If so was it a difficult conversion?
Post #1019821 2nd Jan 2024 10:01am
mata

P37 steering box isn’t needed unless you’re looking at the twin turbo engine or later N57 (which is significantly more complicated, expensive and less understood).

Recommend you join the M57 LandRovers Facebook group where all the questions you will have will have been asked and answered before.
Post #1019824 2nd Jan 2024 11:33am
shanecl

Ireland 1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Auto Firenze Red
Bluericky wrote:
Thank you Mata

Click image to enlarge

Hi Bluericky,

would you have details for the guy that done the centre console for you, literally about to start and no point reinventing the wheel.

Shane
Post #1019827 2nd Jan 2024 12:35pm
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
mata wrote:
P37 steering box isn’t needed unless you’re looking at the twin turbo engine or later N57 (which is significantly more complicated, expensive and less understood).

Recommend you join the M57 LandRovers Facebook group where all the questions you will have will have been asked and answered before.

Or wish to use AC with the bmw compressor in it’s original place.
Post #1019828 2nd Jan 2024 1:38pm
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
Looking at some of the posts above Re the large bore exhausts.. Ie 3"..
I have the 2.2l puma and was a bit concerned about the noise if I fitted one but I bit the bullet ..
Took advice on the configuration and went with the small sports silincer on the mid section and can confirm it is not to loud at all under normal driving conditions.. That is on an engine with a 150 map.. So that is the cavet.. If you have a higher hp engine then it may well produce a louder crack if given a bit throttle.. But I'm well pleased with mine from demand..
Post #1019829 2nd Jan 2024 1:45pm
carrotbay

mata wrote:

Thanks, will do. Just waiting to be approved
Post #1019838 2nd Jan 2024 2:48pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Another vote for Demand Engineering exhausts.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #1019850 2nd Jan 2024 4:08pm
carrotbay

Me too, great quality. I bought a 3 inch Demand Engineering exhaust for my 2.4 110, catless with a sports centre silencer.
Not too loud unless under a lot of load. Did it a year or so ago in preparation for the M57 and hoping just to change the front section.
Post #1019860 2nd Jan 2024 4:47pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
shanecl wrote:
Bluericky wrote:
Thank you Mata

Click image to enlarge

Hi Bluericky,

would you have details for the guy that done the centre console for you, literally about to start and no point reinventing the wheel.

Shane

Interesting design of cubby. Have you contact details for him please? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1019893 2nd Jan 2024 8:46pm
mata

SteveG wrote:
mata wrote:

Or wish to use AC with the bmw compressor in it’s original place.

Nope, my ac compressors on the opposite side to the steering box. PS pumps on the bottom off side but clears the steering box with miles of space.
Post #1021595 17th Jan 2024 10:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>