↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > M57 questions !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
M57 questions !
Hi all

So I've bitten the bullet and purchased a donor 184hp 530d and the MW Engineering conversation kit.

The engines are both out and I'm part way through tidying up the M57 with new timing chain, gaskets etc. Blanking EGR and deleting swirl flaps !
The engine mounts were straightforward to fit, thanks to the supplied templates and hopefully we'll get the engine in for a mock up next week.
The ECU has gone back to MW for an update and a light stage 1 tune.

However, I'm still undecided on the transfer box and how to engage the diff , hi/low. Options are to either

A. fabricate a mechanism and fit that to the 6hp gearbox, retaining the manual lever

or

B. Purchase a selector from MW along with compressor (any recommendations?)

Secondly, I don't yet have an exhaust system ordered, other than demand engineering, are there any other companies I should be looking at ? It's a 130

Lastly and possibly least important for now is the centre console, has anyone done one and have any pictures ? I really am not a fan of the NAS centre console and would rather have a continuation of the existing cubby box and have that go straight under the dash . All ideas welcome !

Thank you https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #1014303 7th Nov 2023 11:24pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I have done an mt82/184 for my 90.

Am about to do a n2 6hp to my 130.

I have gone demand engr for exhaust for the n2.

Centre console there are some options coming, ask Marcus.

For my 130 i am fitting his air solenoids, have orders them too..Will run them off my t max compressor which is under drivers seat. Air res is an a6 air suspension res, cheap manifold off ebay with pressure switch. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1014311 8th Nov 2023 12:36am
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I've had several exhaust systems made by long life in Caerphilly. They will my make pretty much anything you want, tell them what you require and they'll do it. They'll most probably give you an estimate over the phone to, if they've done one before.
Post #1014328 8th Nov 2023 7:41am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re: M57 questions !
Bluericky wrote:
Hi all

So I've bitten the bullet and purchased a donor 184hp 530d and the MW Engineering conversation kit.

The engines are both out and I'm part way through tidying up the M57 with new timing chain, gaskets etc. Blanking EGR and deleting swirl flaps !
The engine mounts were straightforward to fit, thanks to the supplied templates and hopefully we'll get the engine in for a mock up next week.
The ECU has gone back to MW for an update and a light stage 1 tune.

However, I'm still undecided on the transfer box and how to engage the diff , hi/low. Options are to either

A. fabricate a mechanism and fit that to the 6hp gearbox, retaining the manual lever

or

B. Purchase a selector from MW along with compressor (any recommendations?)

Secondly, I don't yet have an exhaust system ordered, other than demand engineering, are there any other companies I should be looking at ? It's a 130

Lastly and possibly least important for now is the centre console, has anyone done one and have any pictures ? I really am not a fan of the NAS centre console and would rather have a continuation of the existing cubby box and have that go straight under the dash . All ideas welcome !

Thank you

Interesting set of questions.

I was actually at MW Eng last Monday to swap and exhaust with a guy from Scotland. I got to see a 300tdi to M57 and a TD5 to M57 conversion. The former was mated to an R380, LT230 and the latter to a ZF auto and actuated LT230. Plus a third M57 and auto sat on a cradle being work on prior to fitting.

I fully admit I may have been wrong about the M57 conversion into a Defender. Having spent a good hour or so poking around it does look like a great fit for the Defender.

I am still concerned about the amazing amount of plastic components and associated o-rings on the M57 engine. But... It is quite a lot lighter than a TD5 engine and in standard form putting out about the same power/torque as a tuned TD5, but a much less stressed engine. Obviously the M57 can be tuned as well very easily.

Speaking to both the owner and customer they both agreed that the better option is the auto and actuated LT230. The customer is a frequent tower and off roader and uses the M57 as his daily driver. Says he's topped out a 36 mpg on a decent motorway run, which is not to be sniffed at.

I still cannot quite get over how quiet the setup is, whisper quiet.

I have no idea about the exhaust, but Demand are excellent at what they do. I have just fitted a cat back system to Miffy and I couldn't be happier.

I also haven't seen many M57 transmission tunnel kits about, but without any mechanical gear sticks to worry about there is a lot of real estate freed up for storage, switches and cup holders. This is probably the tidiest, but homemade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGUu_sqNvIw

Looking forward to seeing how you do with this conversion Thumbs Up
Post #1014344 8th Nov 2023 10:30am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
On my M57n and 6hp, I used a Discovery 2 high /low shifter and cable and vacuum operated diff lock (there isnt room in an LT77 tunnel for the Ashcroft hi/lo/diff lock).
This allows me to still "feel" changing from high to low and vice versa whilst a switch takes care of diff lock which doesn't require that input.
I used the Ashcroft centre console so can't help there.
Exhaustwise, Demand Engineering. Expensive but perfect fit and superb finish, and it sounds fantastic without being too boy racer.
HTH
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #1014354 8th Nov 2023 11:50am
Mo Murphy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #1014355 8th Nov 2023 11:52am
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
geobloke wrote:
I was actually at MW Eng last Monday to swap and exhaust with a guy from Scotland. I got to see a 300tdi to M57 and a TD5 to M57 conversion. The former was mated to an R380, LT230 and the latter to a ZF auto and actuated LT230. Plus a third M57 and auto sat on a cradle being work on prior to fitting.

That 300 is mine! Very Happy Very excited to get the old girl back with a whole new lease of life. I’ve owned an l322 for about 5 years with the same engine thats going in my 110. I roughly know my way around the engine, so I’m confident that it’s a reliable enough unit.

Last edited by BuckBlu110 on 8th Nov 2023 12:13pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1014356 8th Nov 2023 12:07pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Nice Mo. How long have you had this conversion? Opinions, thoughts, experience?

I was wondering if the Ashcroft tunnel would work. Good to know about the Disco lever as well. I do like the positive feel of a lever. And I see you have the Disco handbrake lever as well Thumbs Up
Post #1014357 8th Nov 2023 12:09pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
BuckBlu110 wrote:
geobloke wrote:

That 300 is mine! Very Happy Very excited to get the old girl back with a whole new lease of life.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter And a lovely 110 it is too Thumbs Up Yeah sorry mate, had my hands in your engine bay and on the first date too Shocked Rolling Eyes Looks tidy by the way. So why did you decide to keep the R380/LT230 and not go for an auto?
Post #1014358 8th Nov 2023 12:12pm
BuckBlu110

Rolling with laughter the old girls used to it by know I would imagine.
I decided to keep the r380 because I wasn’t really after massive HP and after speaking with Marcus, he assured me that the r380 was up to what I wanted and we decided to keep the build simple. That and a major factor was that I had literary just(250miles or so) fitted a Ashcroft refurb box with Hd bearings and higher 5th.
Post #1014359 8th Nov 2023 12:25pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Fair enough. Thumbs Up You might be needing an overdrive next Rolling with laughter
Post #1014360 8th Nov 2023 12:28pm
Mo Murphy

geobloke wrote:

I was wondering if the Ashcroft tunnel would work. Good to know about the Disco lever as well. I do like the positive feel of a lever. And I see you have the Disco handbrake lever as well Thumbs Up

Thanks Geobloke, it's been back on the road since I finished converting it in June.
It's an M57n and 6hp26x 6 speed auto from a 2005 BMW X5 with a 1.2 Lt230.
Mild stage 1 tune on the original 218bhp to about 250bhp and 500nm of Torque.
Most of my bits and support came from House of Torque and some bits came from MW.
It's a straightforward enough conversion if you have basic mechanical skills and can do basic electrics.
So far it's been perfect ! No problems and no disappointments. I took it to Spain in September,a 2500 mile round trip and it was perfect on the autoroute there and back and perfect on the lanes. With the 6hp gearbox locking up in every gear you get full engine braking on descents like a manual.
You also get the perks of sport mode and tiptronic manual changes if required, though if manual was my thing I wouldn't have gone auto 😉
If you choose to use it, it has more performance than the suspension and brakes can deal with so you have to be a bit sensible with it ! It is a lovely flexible engine though, it'll poodle along happily with the TDIs at a relaxing 60mph and it'll bimble along at 85mph to catch them up after you've stayed longer at the services to finish your baguette and coffee !
Fuel consumption has been 26-30mpg which is on a par with the 200 it replaced. This could be improved with 1:1.1 or 1.0 transfer gearing which it will quite comfortably pull.
Would I do it again ? Absolutely. Would I recommend it as a conversion ? Absolutely !
HTH
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #1014363 8th Nov 2023 12:47pm
BuckBlu110

It’s got a 1.2 transfer box at the min but I’m going to be changing that in the new year for a refurb unit of which may become a 1:1 if need be.
I have thought about an overdrive but because I’ve got a puma gear stick arrangement I’m not sure how the third stick would work out, I’ll have to do a bit of thinking to get it to engage.
Post #1014364 8th Nov 2023 12:52pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Mo Murphy wrote:
geobloke wrote:

Thanks Geobloke, it's been back on the road since I finished converting it in June.
It's an M57n and 6hp26x 6 speed auto from a 2005 BMW X5 with a 1.2 Lt230.
Mild stage 1 tune on the original 218bhp to about 250bhp and 500nm of Torque.
Most of my bits and support came from House of Torque and some bits came from MW.
It's a straightforward enough conversion if you have basic mechanical skills and can do basic electrics.
So far it's been perfect ! No problems and no disappointments. I took it to Spain in September,a 2500 mile round trip and it was perfect on the autoroute there and back and perfect on the lanes. With the 6hp gearbox locking up in every gear you get full engine braking on descents like a manual.
You also get the perks of sport mode and tiptronic manual changes if required, though if manual was my thing I wouldn't have gone auto 😉
If you choose to use it, it has more performance than the suspension and brakes can deal with so you have to be a bit sensible with it ! It is a lovely flexible engine though, it'll poodle along happily with the TDIs at a relaxing 60mph and it'll bimble along at 85mph to catch them up after you've stayed longer at the services to finish your baguette and coffee !
Fuel consumption has been 26-30mpg which is on a par with the 200 it replaced. This could be improved with 1:1.1 or 1.0 transfer gearing which it will quite comfortably pull.
Would I do it again ? Absolutely. Would I recommend it as a conversion ? Absolutely !
HTH
Mo

Emphatic Thumbs Up That's great to hear. I was chatting with the Wife and I could honestly see her thinking, no way would it be that much quieter than with the TD5, but...

Good to know about the engine braking aspect too, I do use that a lot whilst navigating the B C D and green roads of Wales Rolling Eyes So fuel consumption is equivalent to what the standard TD5 is capable of and better than a heavily tuned TD5 by miles.

That is a good question. If the M57 is significantly lighter than the TD5/TDI engine have you down graded your front springs?
Post #1014367 8th Nov 2023 1:04pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
BuckBlu110 wrote:
It’s got a 1.2 transfer box at the min but I’m going to be changing that in the new year for a refurb unit of which may become a 1:1 if need be.
I have thought about an overdrive but because I’ve got a puma gear stick arrangement I’m not sure how the third stick would work out, I’ll have to do a bit of thinking to get it to engage.

Ah yes I remember now. Well I am happy to measure up for you if you are interested as Miffy has an OD fitted. The lever can easily be modified as it is only a steel rod with a knob on the end.
Post #1014368 8th Nov 2023 1:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>