↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Battery Troubles.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
If you've pulled all the fuses & you can't see any significant drop in the parasitic draw, the other thing connected across the battery of course is the alternator. Just a thought, might be worth checking that's not your leak? 330mA seems a lot not to be able to find. Sounds a very frustrating problem. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.
Post #1012169 22nd Oct 2023 11:54pm
Sjmmarsh

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Lakes - so you are saying that with all fuses and relays pulled there is still a current draw of 0.333A?

You are looking for a parasitic load somewhere - perhaps something has been added which taps in to the power and may have its own fuse (alarm / radio / antenna / tracker / lights / camera etc) or you have some corrosion which is causing the current.

Follow the positive lead from the battery and see what you find.

Steve
Post #1012179 23rd Oct 2023 7:06am
Sjmmarsh

Here is the wiring diagram so you can check you have all the fuses. You can see the alternator and starter are on a separate circuit through the mega fuse.

https://www.lrworkshop.com/wiring-diagram/...nction-box

Steve
Post #1012181 23rd Oct 2023 7:11am
lakes

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thanks for reply’s - I’ll have another go today at pulling fuses to make sure I haven’t missed something.

In the workshop manual it says the mega fuse feeds the starter and alternator and if removed power is still supplied to the central junction box - so if I remove the mega fuse and the draw drops have I then narrowed it down to alternator/starter?
Post #1012182 23rd Oct 2023 7:29am
Sjmmarsh

Yes, if you pull the mega fuse and it goes away then there are only two culprits to check. If it doesn’t drop, then you may have missed a fuse in the other circuit.
Post #1012185 23rd Oct 2023 8:17am
lakes

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Progress today - removed mega fuse and it dropped to 0.06A which now narrows it down to the alternator or starter. Alternator supply when running is 14.4V.

Photo is the wiring into the alternator - doesn’t look in the best of shape, not sure if this would cause any issue.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1012245 23rd Oct 2023 1:44pm
Sjmmarsh

The most likely fault will be the diode rectifier on the alternator that converts the AC voltage into DC. The diodes can break down and when this happens it will allow leakage current. To confirm this you will need to pull the positive lead off the alternator and test with a multimeter. Disconnect the battery before you do this as otherwise you can weld your spanner to the body when it grounds out and/or blow the mega fuse…

You can get this fixed if you have a suitable auto electrical workshop nearby.
Post #1012386 24th Oct 2023 7:42am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
So on Sunday went to use the Def and it was totally dead, both my CTEC and old halfords charger said no to charging it.

Brought a new battery and fitted it and could now get it to start, sync,d remote following advice on this forum and everything is working normally have left it on charge.

Brought a clamp meter per the type suggested on another thread UNI-T ut210e , last night started fault find and I am seeing 0.6amps on the top cable on the the battery positive (not the MEGA fuse cable).

Pulled all the obvious fuses under the steering column (radio etc) and no significant change.

Ran out of time so looks like I am messing with it again tonight,

Question is do I need to disconnect the Mega Fuse to prove the alternator and starter motor are not the cause or is the fact I am seeing 0.6 amps on the top +ve cable proof that its in that line rather than the line protected by the Mega Fuse? DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #1021364 16th Jan 2024 7:17am
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
No.. Not if you have the clamp meter on the posotive wire..
If you had it on the main negative wire on the battety you would see total battery current and could then remove the large fuse to isolate the alternator.... Or in your case see if clamping the negative wire increased an already highish reading..which would indicate a further drain in most likely the alternator..

You are not mentioning the fuses user the drivers seat.. Where the wire you are clamping runs to (that's on mine anyway which is a 2,2tdci.)
Post #1021365 16th Jan 2024 7:54am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
thanks will have a play later. I've only had that cover off twice in 13 years, once to spray ACF 50 about and once to stick some dynamat on the seat box, will be interesting to see what I find. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #1021414 16th Jan 2024 5:00pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That sort of current draw sounds like small battery charging or possibly a larger relay coil being energised permanently live.
Pull the relay on the additional lights fitted and see how that goes, and I don’t know if you’ve seen my other posts but check the interior lights for water and behind the steering wheel for wet that can be another culprit but either way it will be on the constant live side.

Non standard alarm or tracker, shouldn’t pull that much current. It may have an internal battery failiure though which may be suspect… Possibly. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1021427 16th Jan 2024 7:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12