↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > MY2011/2012 Recall Action P047/048 Front Axle Case
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 24 of 37 <123 ... 232425 ... 353637>
Print this entire topic · 
Pat

Wales 
Shrewsbury main dealer, by any chance?

Having seen the various comments on here and with an hours drive to the luxury showroom, I called the dealer the day before to check they had the brackets in stock ... I also thought to check they'd been fitted before I left!
Glad I did having read the above.

Hour and a half wait, two cups of coffee, a free health check, free wash and brush up ... all told, not too bad an experience.

.... I did decline the offer of a £375 diagnostics check. It started with a kiss, never thought it would come to this.
SIII CSW Safari, limestone, (JAC 914N). Where is she now?

It's not a car, it's a way of life!
Post #1011812 19th Oct 2023 4:17pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Like most on here we tend to look at the humorous side of things, else we would have permanent high blood pressure due to defender ownership. Very Happy

However this is actually a case of serious neglect on the dealers behalf. This is after all a safety recall and a less knowledgable and diligent owner may not know what to look for and think the recall work had been undertaken.

I would ask for a document that states what they have done, and if the recall work has not been done and that’s all it was in there for ask why it had not been done and they did not advise you of such.
Post #1011819 19th Oct 2023 4:37pm
Very Rural

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
Correct, with a name that might make you think you were in Hertfordshire... I am very unimpressed, a whole expensive day wasted to have the vehicle washed!

I'm now minded not to drive it until this issue is sorted out properly.
Still no word from the Dealer. I think whatever I do, I will have to put it in writing.

Mind you, I have it in printed hard-copy that they've completed the job!

David.
Post #1011820 19th Oct 2023 4:37pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
If they have provided a document saying the safety recall work has been done, when plainly it has not, it could have some serious implications if you choose to report them to the health and safety executive or DVLA.

I would take dated pics showing the brackets have not, and never have been fitted as evidence as they could say they fitted them and you have removed them. Then raise it immediately with the person in charge of the servicing department both verbally and then via E-mail, including the overall manager of the dealership in that e-mail.
Post #1011826 19th Oct 2023 5:18pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I'd not hesitate to do what IanH suggested.

Once I found a spanner still sticking on the front brake bleeder after I took the Defender home from a service. After I vented my anger on the phone and in person I received: 1 an embarrased excuse and an embarrassing 'explanation' of the manager ("it was the apprentice"), 2 a reluctant excuse of said apprentice (I gave him back the spanner as a reminder) and the mechanic who should have checked the job, 3 a reduced bill, 4 various not-the-cheapest merchandise and 5 a bottle of champagne.

Extrapolating from a spanner to two safety brackets not fitted, I'd expect at least a luxury weekend for two somewhere in the sun. Razz
Post #1011849 19th Oct 2023 7:41pm
Siwynne

England 
My 110usw manufactured in dec 2012 registered in jan 2013 clearly falls in the date range and the suggested vin range with it starting DA43. I have heard nothing from LR. I have spoken to service at local dealership and no recognition of the issue there. There is also nothing on the .gov recall site when searching my vehicle. I wait with anticipation for a letter or a loud bang at 70mph on the m6
Post #1012652 25th Oct 2023 9:42pm
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Get some brackets and fit them just in case.
Post #1012664 25th Oct 2023 10:55pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Siwynne wrote:
My 110usw manufactured in dec 2012 registered in jan 2013 clearly falls in the date range and the suggested vin range with it starting DA43. I have heard nothing from LR. I have spoken to service at local dealership and no recognition of the issue there. There is also nothing on the .gov recall site when searching my vehicle. I wait with anticipation for a letter or a loud bang at 70mph on the m6

Have you Looked at Landrovers online service history site to see if it’s highlighted as a recall there https://osh.landrover.com/
Post #1012671 26th Oct 2023 1:53am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Siwynne wrote:
... I wait with anticipation for ... a loud bang at 70mph on the m6

In reality the first sign of impending doom is usually an oil leak where the weld is cracking, and the reason that the brackets have a hole in the bottom is so that you can still see the oil leak if there is a crack forming even with the brackets fitted (remember that the brackets don't stop the axle breaking, they just reduce the chance of dying in a fireball of crushed steel, aluminium, and body parts if it does break. Very Happy

You are unlikely also to hear a load bang at 70mph on the M6, at least not due to this problem. It is far more likely that the vehicle will develop a significant pull to one side or the other, usually the left since it is usually the left weld which fails, for some reason, and if this happens I suggest that you stop as soon and as gently as you can (don't brake hard).

In the case of a total catastrophic failure you will probably suddenly veer uncontrollably to the left as the front nearside hub breaks off completely and the wheel jams into the bulkhead outrigger and stops rotating. At speed I reckon there is a good chance the vehicle will roll over, and the consequences of this happening anywhere and at any speed, let alone at 70 on a motorway, don't really bear thinking about.

But be reassured by Land-Rover's assurance that the worst that can happen is that there may be a reduction in your ability to control the vehicle.
Post #1012721 26th Oct 2023 2:48pm
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Siwynne wrote:

Mine was registered early 2013 & I've had no letter either. I've contacted 2 dealers and land rover & can't get anything remotely resembling a sensible or helpful response out of anyone.
Post #1012769 26th Oct 2023 7:37pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Race.it wrote:
Mine is a AA vin number so I guess at some stage I should fit the brackets I brought as it’s a 2010. But outside of the recall vins

So's mine, worth doing the fix? --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #1012831 27th Oct 2023 10:32am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Quote:
So's mine, worth doing the fix?

Check if the flange is mig welded or not. If Mig welded, and is a 2010, then highly recommended to get the brackets installed. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1012835 27th Oct 2023 11:03am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Baltic Blue
Can somebody help me with finding out if my VIN is affected?

My vehicle would seem to be likely to be affected It's a 2011 130 with factory HD suspension but the VIN ranges I have seen look nothing like mine.

I've trawled through all 24 pages of this thread and still none the wiser!!!

VIN is SALLDKVS7BA82xxxx

No info in OSR.landrover.com

VIN not found on LR config

This post has been edited by the site administration team: full VIN removed  2011 130 Utility Body
2005 110 Van
Post #1012853 27th Oct 2023 2:29pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Mine is 2011 110 station wagon and the vin number on mine is HMS 7BA4....., so slightly before yours. Mine had the recall some years ago when they first started doing this and had the magic brackets fitted. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1012863 27th Oct 2023 3:21pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
On page 10 of this topic member MarcoLauretano modified the brackets so they were bolted either side of the defective weld and hence , unlike the std LR solution, actually provided additional support to the weld and thus reduced, by what I expect is a reasonable amount, the likelihood of the failure.

So why did LR not make the brackets this way in the first place ? Instead of casting / machining the 3 large holes all they had to do is cast / machine 3 smaller diameter holes in the correct locations and supply 3 bolts and locking nuts.

Sure it would have cost a few pounds more to manufacture and take a mechanic 15 minutes more time to fit each bracket, but it would have been a far better, albeit not perfect, solution.

Picture of the finished modified brackets in place. Far more details on page 10

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic33029-135.html

Click image to enlarge
Post #1012866 27th Oct 2023 3:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 24 of 37 <123 ... 232425 ... 353637>