↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitting alisport hose elbow onto the throttle body?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
Fitting alisport hose elbow onto the throttle body?
So my short boost pipe onto the throttle body split, on the inside radius which I thought was odd as others say it typically splits underneath.

Anyway, I got the old one off- still attached to the hard pipe, I was able to release it from the throttle body, take out the 2 long bolts into the water pump that secure the hard pipe and draw the whole lot out.

The alisport silicone hose is considerably thicker, I tried putting it back attached to the hard pipe but just couldn’t get it past the engine mount. So after lots of frustrating wiggling I managed to get the alisport elbow onto the throttle body Without the hard pipe.

2 problems, even though the elbow seems to be fully on the throttle body it’s hard on the engine mount? There is no clearance at all, in fact it seems to be pressing against the top of the threaded bolt that holds the engine mount together. It’s hard to see how it can be positioned any better to give
More clearance.. who’s fitted one of these on a 2.2, did it clear? I worry the pipe will just chafe through in a couple of thousand miles.

Secondly I cannot get the hard pipe back on, I haven’t drained the coolant so there are a lot of pipes in the way, but it’s the water pump that seems to be the main obstruction lining the hard pipe up with the elbow, there’s just no room. Any suggestions for getting this back together before I sell it for scrap in a fit of rage?! 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #1007781 16th Sep 2023 8:11am
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Did this job recently, and just to be sure I cut the top of the thread off the engine mount bolt with a hacksaw. Also ended up unbolting the water pump and removing a few hoses to get more space to work. Then I fitted the hose and the metal pipe together and managed to get it to fit all back on the throttle body. A little lubricant (other people on here have used KY jelly!,…but whatever works for you. Whistle ) on the end of the hose helps ease it back together.

Then that just leaves you the job of replacing the other side hose (from turbo to Intercooler) which isn’t much fun either. Big Cry

Good luck Thumbs Up It’s a bit of a battle but you will get there eventually.

Last edited by DAZ110 on 16th Sep 2023 9:28am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1007789 16th Sep 2023 9:03am
DAZ110

Post #1007791 16th Sep 2023 9:16am
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
Thanks Daz110, so was your elbow rubbing on the engine mount too? I’ve been using hand gel as a lube for the pipe, did seem to help getting it on the throttle body. Trouble with the hard pipe is I can’t get it anywhere near the end of the elbow!

The last post in the thread you linked previously gave me hope I’d be able to get this back together without dismantling anything further, but I’m starting to question if it’ll be possible 🥺 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #1007808 16th Sep 2023 11:21am
cretesimon

Greece 
Never used a alisport hose before but can say that the britpart one fitted well when I fit them I remove all the coolant pipes in front and the 2 bolts on water pump
Post #1007812 16th Sep 2023 11:40am
DAZ110

Hi UtilityTruck,

Got my Intercooler silicone hoses from BAS, and the elbow was certainly very close to the engine mount bolt. That’s why I decided to cut the threaded part off.

I found that once the water pump was out of the way the metal pipe and elbow where a lot easier to fit.

If you decide to take off the water pump this might be a useful post regarding the belt tensioner when putting it back together again:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic47382.html

With the help of my son and my big breaker bar and extension bar in the square hole on the tensioner it was quick and easy to move the tensioner to put the belt back on the pulleys. Thumbs Up
Post #1007862 16th Sep 2023 5:10pm
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
So I released the accessory drive belt, which allowed me to unbolt and move the water pump aside, this has given me a lot more space to work.

I feel like the alisport hose is just not the right length??

Click image to enlarge

Here you can see it’s hard against the engine mount and the bolt?

Click image to enlarge

It’s fully seated on the throttle body

Click image to enlarge

These bolt holes on the hard pipe and engine need to line up, water pump will take up the gap but the whole thing needs to move rearwards.

I wasn’t expect to need to cut any of the elbow hose off, but it certainly looks too long. I haven’t seen anyone else saying this needed shortening?? 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #1007911 17th Sep 2023 10:34am
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
Well that’s more fool me for not checking before I went to fit this.

I guess I got more value for my £50 from Alisport! Would have been nice for them to note they’re selling a kit that could become a throttle body elbow with some adjustment, rather that a direct replacement. Evil or Very Mad Laughing

Click image to enlarge
 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #1007913 17th Sep 2023 10:46am
DAZ110

Wow, that is along one! Whistle

Looks like you need to get the hacksaw or sharp knife out in that new hose. Thumbs Up

I now think I remember chopping my new hose down too. Embarassed
Post #1007927 17th Sep 2023 12:22pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Throttle bodies are on petrol engines not diesels Whistle
Post #1007928 17th Sep 2023 12:31pm
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
Done now, I needed to cut 25mm from the end of the alisport elbow. The fit looks good now, clear of the bolt and engine mount.

The key for me was releasing the accessory drive belt so the water pump could be swung out of the way, I wouldn’t say this made it easy but it gave a lot more room to work. I didn’t realise how straightforward removing the belt was and wish I’d done it sooner, access to the elbow connection onto the throttle body was greatly simplified. 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #1007929 17th Sep 2023 12:37pm
DAZ110

Glad to hear your getting there. Thumbs Up
Post #1007930 17th Sep 2023 12:39pm
DAZ110

If you decide to do the other side hose you will probably need to chop a bit off that too..

But good luck getting the Airbox out of the way!
Post #1007932 17th Sep 2023 12:42pm
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
Yes thanks, I’d read about shortening the other side- both Alisport and Bas mention this. My fault for not checking the length of the elbow, just surprised it wasn’t mentioned. 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #1007944 17th Sep 2023 2:38pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
This just highlights that when fitting aftermarket components always expect to have to do some "massaging" to get a good fit, whether that is enlarging a hole or trimming down a hose. I never expect it to fit 100% after all LR have +/- build quality and the accessory company have their +/- build quality... What are the chances they marry up exactly?! Better to have too much material than too little Rolling Eyes
Post #1007947 17th Sep 2023 3:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>