↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Welding
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Defendertomten

Sweden 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Coniston Green
Welding
How unsafe is it to weld on chassis parts with battery connected? Anyone who have welded and burned something?
I really dont want to activate my immobililizer because its not fun nor easy to get rid of it with the eka code and a loose cable to the doorswitch Land Rover owner since 2003
2008 Disco3 manual
2000 Defender 130 td5 snorkel warn m6000
Post #1006892 8th Sep 2023 10:57am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Inadvisable is the answer I am afraid. Also just be aware that the loom is in the right hand (facing the rear door) chassis rail.

Do you not have a key fob then?
Post #1006899 8th Sep 2023 12:25pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
All the guidance and manuals will tell you to disconnect the battery...

I have welded loads of vehicles with battery connected without issue > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #1006904 8th Sep 2023 1:49pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
From an engineering perspective the risk is small, especially if the earth clamp of the welder is kept close to the weld. Anyone with any financial liability will however tell you not to do it since the consequences if it does cause damage could be expensive.

The risk is not so much the battery as the various semiconductor or EMP-susceptible components on the vehicle. You will probably only regret leaving the battery connected if you manage to melt the insulation on a permanently-live and inadequately-fused part of the harness and incinerate the vehicle.

In general the relatively small effort involved in disconnecting as much as possible (battery, alternator, ECU, IPAC) is worthwhile since the hassle of tracing and repairing a fault will be greater, hence it is advisable.
Post #1006920 8th Sep 2023 4:50pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I've done it several times before on my own stuff with no problems. I guess that problems can occur if the earth is bad and the current then tries to earth through the battery or ecu etc. I've just made sure that the earth point is clean and close and the pieces your welding are clean. But it's not my car either....
Post #1006924 8th Sep 2023 5:19pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
My work is with ships (seagoing type) just finished a big project in a shipyard with a lot of welding. Obviously proper grounding (if you don't it eats your steel where it grounds out on seawater). All good till we tried to fire up a few generators, no luck synchronizating them, all the controlboards needed replacing. Stray welding currents appearantly fried them. Not cheap, next time we will just remove all the boards beforehand
Post #1006955 8th Sep 2023 9:09pm
Defendertomten

Sweden 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Coniston Green
Yes i have the key fobs. But i think its some failure in them. I have read several times before about the system but now i have forgotten. Isnt there a coil in the key wich is inducted via the plastic surrounding on the ignition key lock? But if i change my batts in the fob and try to reattach them to the system? Its been a lot of disco3 things so my knowledge about as10 has gone black🙄
Im welding in the most rear left end chassipart, so the loom wont be affected. Land Rover owner since 2003
2008 Disco3 manual
2000 Defender 130 td5 snorkel warn m6000
Post #1006964 9th Sep 2023 12:06am
Procta

United Kingdom 
i am sure you can get battery isolators, that auto repairers use.
When i have done welding on my rover metro and my dads landy and mine. We have always disconnected the battery. Also it shouldnt harm your immobililizer. I have replaced my battery in my fob, as i use the central locking system than the key system. Never had to re sync anything at all, after i changed the batteries Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1006966 9th Sep 2023 2:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1