↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Station wagon vs DC second row space.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DC101

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Station wagon vs DC second row space.
Hi,

I continue to scratch my head on seating options.
Question:- Can anyone tell meif the second row seat boxes and seat bracketry are the same between the two variants.
i.e. rear 60/40 bench seats in exactly the same positions?

With thanks
Rob
Post #1006675 6th Sep 2023 1:37pm
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
I don't have a SW to compare to my DC, but I would say they are pretty much the same....based on my parts ordering experience, although the seat backs in the DC are bolted to the back of the cab
Post #1006676 6th Sep 2023 1:44pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
I don't believe there is as much leg room in the rear of a DC based on having sat in one.... 
Post #1006678 6th Sep 2023 1:57pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
There is an old thread here on the issue

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post266025.html 
Post #1006679 6th Sep 2023 1:58pm
DC101

Thanks.
The reason I’m asking is that I’m looking to upgrade near side rear seat (and I’ve already hijacked another thread!)

I was interested to be told that the DC offers less rear leg room than the SW??

Cheers
Post #1006680 6th Sep 2023 1:59pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
I have had both together at one point, still have the DCPU. The seats are identical apart from the DC has them bolted to the back wall with a bracket, so the seats are fixed, while the stationwagon has a release mechanism allowing you to fold the seats forward.

I know because to get to the back of the seats for stuff, I removed the release mechanism from the station wagon and retrofitted it to my DC. Now I can fold them which just gives you better access to the junk stored underneath the seats. You need to make a bracket to fit the mechanism so that is not a straight fit.

The position of the seats and the seats themselves is the same. The DCPU is just a 110 with a bulkhead fitted and then a different rear end and roof. The doors etc are the same and the floors, in fact everything below the waste line is identical so are the rot spots.

I happened to just have taken a picture of the bottom mount for a different thread here.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1006688 6th Sep 2023 2:46pm
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
camelman wrote:
There is an old thread here on the issue

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post266025.html

Yes, but that thread refers to Puma....Puma rear seats and bracketry is different to TD5
Post #1006689 6th Sep 2023 2:48pm
TexasRover

Yeah the rear seats on the Puma are completely reworked and different (better). I take it on the Puma 110 Station Wagon they moved the rear seats back on their mounts, and possibly they could not do that on the DCPU and they retained the 'original - Td5' position.

Are the new puma seats deeper maybe which makes it a tight fit on the Puma DCPU? On my Td5 DCPU the rear seating is perfectly fine to sit in for an adult, other than missing a darn headrest.

At least on the DCPU you can slam the back of your head into the rear window to avoid whiplash?
Post #1006690 6th Sep 2023 2:55pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Post #1006691 6th Sep 2023 2:56pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
On the Puma the second row seats are in the same place and essentially use the same bracketry on both SW and DC variants, the significant difference is that eh seats themselves on the DC are modified so that the backrest is more upright than it is on the SW. The bracket on the floor onto which the seat locks is also different since on the DC it doesn't fold flat, but dimensionally it is the same. The DC seatbacks also have wholly unnecessary brackets securing them to the rear of the cab, but these appear only be to stop the rattling noises. Remove these and the seats usefully tip like the SW version (and you can fill the space underneath with junk).

The reason that the two differ is that the rear panel of the cab would foul the upper part of the seatback and the head restraint if the backrest angle was the same.

I am unfamiliar with the TD5 SW and DC but I am aware that the second row (shockingly) doesn't have head restraints so I imagine that there is a possibility that the problem does not exist, or is not so great. I shall leave the answering of that question to those who know.

Just remember that the TD5 and Puma have entirely different seats and entirely different mounts.
Post #1006710 6th Sep 2023 5:01pm
kenzle8a

Having owned a td5 double cab (im 6’4) i wouldn’t want to sit in the back for long, i felt cramped enough doing some work on the roof lining.
Post #1006763 6th Sep 2023 9:46pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The second row seating in any DC is only really suitable for people you hate....

... like kids, for example! Rolling with laughter
Post #1006765 6th Sep 2023 10:03pm
TexasRover

Yet on the Td5 we established that it is physically not any different than the station wagon, so must be psychological then.
Post #1006780 7th Sep 2023 5:59am
DC101

Thank you for all of the replies and humour, and link to thread!

I am gearing up for a trip and have unexpectedly the potential of an additional passenger (will help with costs!) so was aspiring to carry out some change to the rear bench seat to try and make it more habitable/safer. Though having looked around the forums may not be possible…..

One option I was looking at was the costly expense of a single Exmoor trim premium high back and sell on my return. However Exmoor trim said it makes a real difference in the back of a SW and not so the DC, so I couldn’t quite equate to what the difference was between the two body stiles in terms of seat position.

I have also considered:-
- Classic high back but doesn’t fit later TD5 bracketry
- rear puma seat - but require new YRM set up for cross member and bracketry and to rework the wheel arch boxes (costly again!)
- sell up and get a Discovery 2/3/4 (drastic!)

For all the time I’ve had my 2003 DC, maybe at not fit for this purpose 😭
Post #1006798 7th Sep 2023 10:52am
TexasRover

There is the Renault Scenic rear seat route to consider as well (I am not suggesting the car!). Apparently a good fit, but yes not standard. You can do a search here, there are some pictures.

I have a few too many cars including a 2003 Defender DCPU and a 2014 Discovery 4. If you are looking for comfort, safety, capability, cost of ownership and fuel efficiency the Discovery 4 wins hands down. Such a capable vehicle, it is my 4th (if I add a Disco 3, which is the same).

Yet I like driving my Defender more because it is a more pure experience and, face it, most people like the look too. Let's just say people know me in the village because of the Defender, not the Disco (or Beemer, or Peugeot).
Post #1006800 7th Sep 2023 11:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>