↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Nugget Stuff Airbox V3 - Very Disappointing Quality
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Hello from Aussie, I've never met "Nugget" personally, but have spoken to him a number of times, as have many other Aussies on Australian LandRover forums, where He has the absolute BEST reputation as a decent, honest man.
I have no doubt whatsoever, that if anyone with an issue were to contact him directly, to let him know of any issues whatsoever with one of his products, that issue would be resolved.
Consequently, I'm sure, that in this case, a discussion with Nugget (Wayne Nielsen) will provide a solution.
Pickles.
Post #1000188 15th Jul 2023 12:03am
Procta

United Kingdom 
nugge t wrote:
I am very sorry you received a below quality product and accept most of the criticism.

Preferably you would have contacted either Brendan or myself and I think you would have found use very sympathetic and tried to would have attempted to resolve the issue. Normally when someone takes it upon themselves to perform remedial action on a product, warranty is voided but I am still happy to replace the product for you when I return from my trip. I am currently away until the end of August.

I am not sure why you thought that you were getting the V2 as it has not been available for some time but I am sorry if there was confusion in the change over but I think you will find the product was clearly marked as the V3 which was for sale.

Whilst I am happy to accept the valid criticisms, the claim that the bottom surface is too rough and would not seal with the neoprene gasket, is simply not correct and the roughness on the pipe would have sealed perfectly with the sensor safe sealant supplied in the kit as is recommended to be used, even if the surface was not perfect.

Just to give a bit of history as to why I have converted to 3D printing. The main reason is that I have had 4 shoulder reconstructions in recent years, 3 on the right and 1 on the left and it just is not possible for me to continue using my mill. Also aluminium prices have risen considerably and to continue machine them in ally would have required a 30% price increase which I doubt those on here complaining about the price whilst liking the quality, would have paid.

For those who think the 3D printing is a cheap alternative they clearly do not understand the process or the costs. The printing time alone is over 120 hours and the filament is NOT the cheap PLA bottom end users use. I invested heavily in top end printers and have 3 Flashforge Creator 4. Unfortunately the nylon carbon fibre has been very difficult to print and I am now swapping to an alternative material which will give a cleaner print and greater strength.

I have also made some design modifications. As well, all screws have been replaced with heat sink brass threaded inserts.

So please contact Brendan and lets see if we can successfully resolve it.

Nugget

fella, does the company not check quality before leaving the production line? That's utter shocking! I work in injection and there are some things you can get away with, due to it been un seen on the car, but for a customer to have to fettle with the part, isn't on at all. Trouble is companies just push stuff out as fast and as cheap as possible. For christ sake take some pride and spend a bit of money, customers don't mind spending the extra few coins, if they are going to get a decent part Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1000190 15th Jul 2023 2:52am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Jabberwocky wrote:
Yep there’s always a ready supply of badly designed and made stuff sold for not insignificant amounts of money.

I recently fitted the Optimil door handles and was quite shocked at how much bodging I had to do to get them to fit, not only did I have to make the hole in the door bigger but I had to take a file to the handles themselves🙄🙄

For the money they charge them not being direct replacement fit is inexcusable, also the fitting bolts are a nightmare and how tight do you have to be to not include an Allen key? Even the cheapest flat pack furniture includes one.

Even then after they are finally fitted the key requires much fiddling with every times you use it, it’s like they found the cheapest nastiest lock they could, Last optimil products I’ll ever spend money on.

The problem is, some manufactures have the attitude of "just send it" bearmache's quality was terrible to say the least. I bought rear brake lights for my defender, and the bulb holders kept blowing the fuse, every time you installed the bulbs. So i had to replace the holders with genuine units in the end, but kept the red lens, even those decided to melt on me. So those had to be replaced with better quality. Look what happened to Bearmache in the end. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1000297 15th Jul 2023 7:11pm
LET'S OFF-ROAD

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Keswick Green
Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your message and sorry I've been slow to respond.

I will answer your points in blue below as it is easier to read.

nugge t wrote:
I am very sorry you received a below quality product and accept most of the criticism.

Preferably you would have contacted either Brendan or myself and I think you would have found us very sympathetic and we would have attempted to resolve the issue. Normally when someone takes it upon themselves to perform remedial action on a product, warranty is voided but I am still happy to replace the product for you when I return from my trip. I am currently away until the end of August.

Usually if the product was defective that would be my course of action but in this case I didn't think the product was faulty, it's just how the product is made at the moment. Thank you for the offer to replace the product at the end of August, although I will have to continue to use the existing one until then as I cut the standard airbox out to fit the Nugget one before I was aware of any possible issues with it.

I am not sure why you thought that you were getting the V2 as it has not been available for some time but I am sorry if there was confusion in the change over but I think you will find the product was clearly marked as the V3 which was for sale.

On the listing it was not clearly marked as being the V3, there was nothing in the listing saying that it was a V3 and in all the photos of the product it showed the V2. As I pointed out in my original post, I checked after ordering as it was not at all clear it would be the V3 and was told it was the V3 but the website had not been updated.

So I was aware before it had arrived that it would be the V3 and was willing to pay for and accept the V3 and fit it, so I don't have an issue with that, but obviously given the choice I would far rather have the V2. I actually emailed you separately asking if you knew of any V2s available anywhere and was willing and keen to buy one completely separately to this, but I did not receive a reply.

Whilst I am happy to accept the valid criticisms, the claim that the bottom surface is too rough and would not seal with the neoprene gasket, is simply not correct and the roughness on the pipe would have sealed perfectly with the sensor safe sealant supplied in the kit as is recommended to be used, even if the surface was not perfect.

I admit I am not hugely experienced in sealing and waterproofing pipes etc so if you say it would seal then I accept that. Deep ridges running in the direction of the hose did not fill me with confidence though and means you have to rely on the sealant rather than starting with a smooth surface to clamp on to.

Just to give a bit of history as to why I have converted to 3D printing. The main reason is that I have had 4 shoulder reconstructions in recent years, 3 on the right and 1 on the left and it just is not possible for me to continue using my mill. Also aluminium prices have risen considerably and to continue machine them in ally would have required a 30% price increase which I doubt those on here complaining about the price whilst liking the quality, would have paid.

I accept you have had to stop using Alloy because of your shoulders and I am sorry to hear that you're having trouble with them. I wasn't at all complaining about paying the price for the aluminium version and it looked like a very high quality product, I would love to get my hands on a V2. I was even happy to pay for the 3D printed V3.

I don't think my disappointment is unfounded comparing the product I received with all the glowing reviews and pictures of the V2 which seems to be on a different level of quality.

For those who think the 3D printing is a cheap alternative they clearly do not understand the process or the costs. The printing time alone is over 120 hours and the filament is NOT the cheap PLA bottom end users use. I invested heavily in top end printers and have 3 Flashforge Creator 4. Unfortunately the nylon carbon fibre has been very difficult to print and I am now swapping to an alternative material which will give a cleaner print and greater strength.

I have also made some design modifications. As well, all screws have been replaced with heat sink brass threaded inserts.

That sounds like a much better product, especially with the brass threaded inserts as when tightening the 5 bolts that hold the filter lid in place, I was being very careful after the mount had cracked on tightening and even then I still heard two horrible sounding cracks when I was tightening the filter lid.
I don't know how long I could keep doing and undoing these threads before they become unusable.

So please contact Brendan and lets see if we can successfully resolve it.

Nugget

I appreciate the offer to get this resolved, perhaps you could let me know when he has a version with the threaded inserts that I could exchange my current V3 for and in the meantime if you have or know of any old V2 stock I would very much like to buy one of those too.

Regards,

Tim
Post #1000599 17th Jul 2023 8:50pm
nugge t

Australia 
Tim

Please contact Brendan to set the wheels in motion.

Just for the record, as I have previously explained, the v2 is no longer available. I do not have any parts for it nor the ability to manufacture it. If any are around privately then you would need to search the forums etc.

The 5 bolting securing for the lid will not change. They are Rivnuts and as long as some one doesn't cross thread them they are very very strong. If cross threaded, they will spin if enough force is used, just as could happen with the ally V2.

The brass heat sinks I was referring to are for the top pipe to be secured to the lid and the screws for the MAF sensor.

If you can send me your email again to nugget@nuggetstuff.com, I will send you pics of the components prior to shipping to ensure you are happy.

Sorry I am about to head into the desert and will be out of range for some weeks.

Cheers
Post #1000653 18th Jul 2023 8:33am
Moroccan Explorer

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
It doesn’t sound to me like the revised V3 will be that much better. There’s certainly a gap in the market for a decent air box
Post #1001018 20th Jul 2023 6:07pm
Mj_pilot

2011 Defender 110 Other SW Auto Indus Silver
I’ve stumbled onto this post and agree wholeheartedly with the original post. Sorry Nugget, but I’m spewing that I purchased this way overpriced printed airbox. I also thought I’d receive an alloy version at the time. The quality of the one that I purchased seems a bit better than the OP but the inlet angle is off as well as, with less than a year of driving, the outlet has warped. To tell you the truth, I am unsure if this box contributed to a hydro lock during a creek crossing.
Post #1025492 21st Feb 2024 3:30pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Wayne “Nugget” has now retired and the business is closed, so he may not respond.

If you are interested in a similar product the Allisport airbox seems to be the natural successor to the nugget stuff V2.

See https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic89374...=allisport

One of the features of the nugget stuff airbox’s was the lack of a water drain should water enter the airbox. So really needs to be used with a well sealed air intake, including a raised air intake / snorkel with a cyclonic filter to ensure no moisture ingress.
The Allisport follows this design principle and therefore has the same air intake requirements as far as I can see.

I suspect you already have sealed air intake pipes, RAI and cyclonic filter, in which case the Allisport solution could be an ideal solution for you.
Post #1025496 21st Feb 2024 4:13pm
Mj_pilot

2011 Defender 110 Other SW Auto Indus Silver
Thanks for the info Ian.

The puma engine was destroyed not long after a few river crossings. When I went to wash the engine bay after the trip, I noticed the air hose had separated from airbox and that the flange was probably warped. I don’t know at what stage of the trip that had happened. I understand Nugget’s retired now so I haven’t bothered contacting him.

I think alisport have manufactured an M57 conversion prototype which ill be looking in to once I finish the conversion.

I will cautiously use the M57 oem filter with a RAI for now.

I wish that I had Nuggets skill-set to build an alloy sealed system. Best I could do was buy a 3d printer and perhaps make my own plastic airbox if alisports new system doesn’t match my requirements.
Post #1025546 21st Feb 2024 11:12pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
You could reach out to Wrecker Fabrication on Facebook if you want something bespoke for your new setup.
Post #1025547 21st Feb 2024 11:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12