↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Nugget Stuff Airbox V3 - Very Disappointing Quality
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
LET'S OFF-ROAD

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Keswick Green
Nugget Stuff Airbox V3 - Very Disappointing Quality
I thought this may be informative for anyone considering purchasing a Nugget Stuff V3 Airbox.

I had been looking at the Nugget Stuff airbox for well over a year since I got my first TDCi and finally got round to buying one recently as they looked great quality and were the only real alternative to modifying the standard airbox to make it watertight.

The website I bought it off was showing pictures of the V2 Aluminium version that looked great quality and whilst very expensive, I wanted to be sure my snorkel and airbox setup was totally sealed.

After ordering I read there was a new 3D printed version that sounded of dubious quality and I emailed to check it was indeed the V2 in the pictures I was going to receive. Unfortunately it was the V3 as the V2 was no longer available, but by then I had already committed to fitting it.

The V3 is almost entirely 3D printed and right out of the box you can see it is quick and cheap to make and very poorly finished. Nothing like the high quality V2 from the photos that I've seen, although admittedly I haven't seen a V2 first hand.

I spent some time sanding down the imperfections on the pipe fittings so it would actually seal when the snorkel pipe was clamped on, as the 3D printing had left ridges and holes nearly a millimetre deep in places with the groves running lengthways in the direction of the pipe. I also sanded down the top part where it fits on to the metal disc as I was concerned it would not seal properly even with the foam gasket, such were the grooves in the 3D printed surface. When held against a flat surface it rocked so was not perfectly flat.

One of the mounting pieces snapped with no warning along the printed grain upon tightening.

For the price of this kit I am really disappointed with the quality. I'm hoping it will work as intended but what should have been a very well-made bulletproof lifetime solution for the vehicle, has turned out to be a poorly and cheaply made third rate version, that costs the same amount as the previous version. It is way overpriced for something so low quality and cheap to produce.

I am not blaming the shop, it was my decision to fit the V3 when it arrived and I could have returned it. But I am obviously disappointed that I initially thought I was buying a V2.

If anyone has a V2 in good condition for sale please let me know, or are there any other options?

Some of these photos are taken after sanding and some before, it should be pretty obvious which are which.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
[/url]

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by LET'S OFF-ROAD on 12th Jul 2023 8:23pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #999776 12th Jul 2023 1:04pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Words fail me, that is ghastly.

What a shame.
Post #999782 12th Jul 2023 1:48pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I agree. Ghastly is the word... I would be sending that back.
Post #999784 12th Jul 2023 1:56pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
It’s hard to understand how nugget stuff could produce such a monstrosity’s and be happy to sell it at any price.
Post #999791 12th Jul 2023 3:00pm
NoLimits

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Havana
I've done a bit of 3d printing using low end printers and even then I would expect my prints to be of a better quality than that.

They must be using cheap printers and pushing them through at high speed, that is truly terrible
Post #999795 12th Jul 2023 3:54pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
That is bad. I have the aluminium version and been very happy with it, I wouldn't be happy with that at all. Have you spoken to the retailer and/or NuggetStuff? They need to know about these issues. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #999796 12th Jul 2023 4:08pm
LET'S OFF-ROAD

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Keswick Green
I would imagine they know full well what they are selling. There is absolutely no comparison between V2 and V3. This is cheap tat at top quality prices.

I don't want a refund because I've already cut out the original airbox and fitted this. I've got no other option unless I buy another OEM airbox.

I am looking for a V2 if anyone has one for sale, or an alternative (an IRB was being developed on another thread) as I can't see this V3 lasting all that long or being the 100% watertight solution I was hoping for.
Post #999800 12th Jul 2023 5:46pm
nugge t

Australia 
I am very sorry you received a below quality product and accept most of the criticism.

Preferably you would have contacted either Brendan or myself and I think you would have found use very sympathetic and tried to would have attempted to resolve the issue. Normally when someone takes it upon themselves to perform remedial action on a product, warranty is voided but I am still happy to replace the product for you when I return from my trip. I am currently away until the end of August.

I am not sure why you thought that you were getting the V2 as it has not been available for some time but I am sorry if there was confusion in the change over but I think you will find the product was clearly marked as the V3 which was for sale.

Whilst I am happy to accept the valid criticisms, the claim that the bottom surface is too rough and would not seal with the neoprene gasket, is simply not correct and the roughness on the pipe would have sealed perfectly with the sensor safe sealant supplied in the kit as is recommended to be used, even if the surface was not perfect.

Just to give a bit of history as to why I have converted to 3D printing. The main reason is that I have had 4 shoulder reconstructions in recent years, 3 on the right and 1 on the left and it just is not possible for me to continue using my mill. Also aluminium prices have risen considerably and to continue machine them in ally would have required a 30% price increase which I doubt those on here complaining about the price whilst liking the quality, would have paid.

For those who think the 3D printing is a cheap alternative they clearly do not understand the process or the costs. The printing time alone is over 120 hours and the filament is NOT the cheap PLA bottom end users use. I invested heavily in top end printers and have 3 Flashforge Creator 4. Unfortunately the nylon carbon fibre has been very difficult to print and I am now swapping to an alternative material which will give a cleaner print and greater strength.

I have also made some design modifications. As well, all screws have been replaced with heat sink brass threaded inserts.

So please contact Brendan and lets see if we can successfully resolve it.

Nugget
Post #999846 13th Jul 2023 1:00am
Moroccan Explorer

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I really don’t like 3D printed items like this, I’m happy to pay for a proper billet item / or machine one myself, would it be possible to purchase drawings for the V2? Appreciate the issues you encountered Wayne and in no way want to belittle your product!
Post #1000025 14th Jul 2023 12:09am
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
Yep there’s always a ready supply of badly designed and made stuff sold for not insignificant amounts of money.

I recently fitted the Optimil door handles and was quite shocked at how much bodging I had to do to get them to fit, not only did I have to make the hole in the door bigger but I had to take a file to the handles themselves🙄🙄

For the money they charge them not being direct replacement fit is inexcusable, also the fitting bolts are a nightmare and how tight do you have to be to not include an Allen key? Even the cheapest flat pack furniture includes one.

Even then after they are finally fitted the key requires much fiddling with every times you use it, it’s like they found the cheapest nastiest lock they could, Last optimil products I’ll ever spend money on.
Post #1000027 14th Jul 2023 12:32am
Moroccan Explorer

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I was very pleased with my Optimil steering wheel boss and although I had an issue with one of the roll pins (which they offered to replace FOC) it’s a far more elegant solution than having a big steering wheel lock floating around! I haven’t bought their door handles yet, but with regards to cost, if you have any experience in producing parts in small quantities and imagine the work that goes into it I don’t think many items are unfairly overpriced including nugget, optimil or others. It’s easy to think of the economy of scale that mass produced parts manage to achieve and totally forget the many different operations small manufacturers have to go through to produce something like a door handle, imagine actually making one, you’d want to charge four figures I'm sure, so if they can get this cost down to a few hundred pounds it’s actually pretty impressive.
Post #1000030 14th Jul 2023 1:02am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Nugget, have you considered sintered laser printing?

I don't know your product so can't really say what the costs would be, but with a 3D CAD model you could get prices easy enough. The finish is really quite good compared to FDM printing.

I know a guy over here who produces some intricate and strong gear using SLS printing. He used to do in house printing but sold his machines on as he is so busy on the other parts of production. He now gets the parts from the people he sold the machines to and they fit all the brass inserts.

I am sure I could get you the details if it's of any use. You could get those shipped direct to Brendan if he is your UK distributor, not sure if that would help with import duties etc.

Hopefully everything gets sorted.

Mick
Post #1000035 14th Jul 2023 5:48am
nugge t

Australia 
Hi Mick

Mate thanks for the suggestion but 3D printing isn't as simple as people think. Before I spent AUD$45,000 on my 3 printers, I contacted several commercial print places with the body model. They generally wanted over AUD$1,000 to print it...the best was AUD$800 so for those who think it is a cheap and easy process I have some really bad news for them.

Seriously I hate to think what they would charge for a sintered model which then has to be post processed as well. Small parts are easy but these are long prints and they charge on machine time.

Cheers
Post #1000067 14th Jul 2023 10:45am
Mossberg

I do understand and note the volume of your part. The trick is to fill the part with many small parts to get value for your money. If all you are doing is large parts then you will suffer for that. The other possibility is to design the parts so that they stack in each other a bit like a bucket.

I used to design in steel so everything was from a sheet, but even then I put parts within parts to gut maximum usage of materials. I also altered the design of products to all the maximum use of materials.

Hoping all runs smoothly for you and your customers.

Mick
Post #1000111 14th Jul 2023 3:19pm
Mossberg

I do understand and note the volume of your part. The trick is to fill the part with many small parts to get value for your money. If all you are doing is large parts then you will suffer for that. The other possibility is to design the parts so that they stack in each other a bit like a bucket.

I used to design in steel so everything was from a sheet, but even then I put parts within parts to gut maximum usage of materials. I also altered the design of products to all the maximum use of materials.

Hoping all runs smoothly for you and your customers.

Mick
Post #1000112 14th Jul 2023 3:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>