↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Knock behind dash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
sweatysock

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Indus Silver
Knock behind dash
Folks, got a knocking behind the dash at the passenger side when going over bumpy ground. Also, my drive is on an incline and I can hear a knock as I take to the drive (almost and if something in the dash falls backwards with the incline.)

It is annoying and building towards driving me crazy Rolling with laughter

the attached photo indicates where I think the noise is coming from (albeit it shows a LHD car). I do not think it is the air vent or dash top speaker as I have isolated them. Next step is dash removal but just wondering if there are any views before I do this.

Click image to enlarge
 Sweatysock
-------------
110 CSW TDCI (Puma) 2007
Post #749653 6th Jan 2019 10:24pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It could be anything, to be honest. Maybe a spare bolt or similar from when it was built. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #749657 6th Jan 2019 10:37pm
HK07

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
I've got something behind my Puma dash, but on the drivers side. I have tried and tried but I can't fathom it by just removing the speakers etc. I don't want to take the dash out. 2007 90 Puma - Love it - Best car I have ever owned.

1989 Ninety 200tdi - Love it - Second best car I have ever owned.

1951 80" Series 1 - Love it - Third best car I have ever owned.

Last edited by HK07 on 7th Jan 2019 12:31am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #749677 7th Jan 2019 12:19am
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
You may not need to strip the dash completely...

Firstly I'd remove the passenger side speaker and 'fake' fusebox cover. Shine a torch up and bend yourself into some strange position, you can see right up the side of the dash. Alternatively just feel around with your hand.

Then I'd check it's not something in the engine bay knocking against the bulkhead.

Failing that I'd remove the centre console (2 bolts and pull it off, there are 6 clips holding the top, middle and bottom from memory). Undo the grab handle and dash retaining bolts on the passenger side (some by the door and some underneath). At this point the dash should pull forward enough, hopefully, for you to find the offending article. This way you don't have to fiddle with steering wheel or anything on driver's side.

If that fails you've only got a few more screws, the dials, the steering wheel, the stalks, the transmission tunnel cover and the gearstick and the whole thing comes out as one. It's not a difficult job in all and sounds a lot worse than it is Thumbs Up Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #749678 7th Jan 2019 12:22am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Bonnet hinge plastic sleeve things. Put security hinges on and it will go away. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #749681 7th Jan 2019 12:52am
ozy013

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Rimini Red
I would also say bonnet hinge plastic/rubber bushes. Everynow and again I also get a knocking sound over rough ground, and as you mentioned it seems to be coming from behind the dash. Ah you got to love the wonderful acoustics in a Defender Rolling Eyes . I too stripped the dash, but nothing was loose, then, a couple of months later, whilst out with a couple of other Defenders, one of the drivers said I should spray some lube on the bonnet hinge bushes. Hey presto! no more noise. I use this stuff https://www.bunnings.com.au/inox-300g-heav...t_p6100343 as it doesnt degrade the bushes like some other sprays.
Post #749691 7th Jan 2019 8:17am
ChrisDefender

United Kingdom 
Hi. A top tip I gt from this forum solved my 'knocking' issue.

Check the ECU that is fixed to the bulkhead in the engine bay is not missing the foam strip at the bottom. If it is then you will be able to move it a little. It was this that was driving me mad, sounds like its coming from the dash.

Fixed it with a new strip of U-profile rubber and no noise now!

Cheers.
Post #749770 7th Jan 2019 5:23pm
keith

Scotland 
^ Chrisdefender
Absolutely on the money with your noisy diagnosis.
I had exactly the same problem driving me crazy and it was the same loose and shaky ECU on the bulkhead.
Keith
Post #749802 7th Jan 2019 8:30pm
sweatysock

Thanks for all those contributions and new areas to explore.........watch this space and I will report back 😀 Sweatysock
-------------
110 CSW TDCI (Puma) 2007
Post #749834 7th Jan 2019 10:22pm
Mike_E

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
exactly same issue - passenger side from under the dash.

another thing i resolved was the passenger seat shaking over bumps.... realised that one as I never heard that other knock/rattle when I was 2-up... only driving solo.

Mike
Post #750078 8th Jan 2019 9:52pm
Nipalong

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I hope you have solved your knocking sound behind your dashboard. I had the same issue, my defender spent approx 6 weeks in the garage. They gave it back saying they couldn’t find anything that was knocking. UMMMMMMMMMM, so why are you giving it back to me.
I then went around the car listening, sprayed WD40 on the bonnet hinges and hey, it stopped, I one have a non rattling defender.

Boom
Post #769587 22nd Apr 2019 1:17pm
sweatysock

Now that the key issues on my Defender are sorted I am turning my attention back to a minor issue, in this case the knock behind the dash. I would welcome input.

I have taken the bonnet off and driven and tested the various other potential suspects mentioned in this thread but still no success. I have taken the dash half off and cannot find anything loose that may be the culprit. So..... my latest area of investigation is the potential for the noise to be coming from the blower assembly in the engine bay, then manifesting itself in the cabin.

The question therefore is does anyone know if there are any parts in the assembly that could have broken / worked themselves loose causing this knock / noise (sounds the same as if you had left a CD or similar in the dash and it was rocking from back and forth).

I would remove the blower assembly to investigate but I am told you need to remove the wing to do this ?

Thanks for any insight, no major problem but good to get it sorted. Sweatysock
-------------
110 CSW TDCI (Puma) 2007
Post #781857 17th Jul 2019 12:41pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Just a thought, it's not the roof bolts loose is it? The screws in the corners of the roof are prone to loosen. They did on mine. It was driving me mad. I thought it was something behind the dash as well at first.
Post #781881 17th Jul 2019 3:24pm
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
Is your jack/wheel chock or even battery secure in the battery box? 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #781889 17th Jul 2019 4:39pm
sweatysock

williamthedog wrote:
Just a thought, it's not the roof bolts loose is it? The screws in the corners of the roof are prone to loosen. They did on mine. It was driving me mad. I thought it was something behind the dash as well at first.

Not sure about that one but prepared to check anything, thanks for input will have a look tomorrow Sweatysock
-------------
110 CSW TDCI (Puma) 2007
Post #781901 17th Jul 2019 7:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>