↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4 fuel pump cover in timing cover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Beekeeper Bob

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Keswick Green
2.4 fuel pump cover in timing cover
Hi all. I am trying to locate an oil leak on the front of the engine which sprays oil all over the fan shrouds. So far I have changed the vacuum pump and the water pump but it was clearly neither of those so now I am looking at the fuel pump cover.
This is a plastic bung in the timing cover and looks to me to be the likely culprit.

What is the correct procedure to access this, how is it fixed in to the tc? How do I refix it, and are special tools required. Apologies if this is covered in other threads but I'm new here and cant figure out where the search function is.

All help gratefully received.

Bob
Post #899932 25th Apr 2021 11:17am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Hp fuel pump has a twist lock cover on the timing cover itself which is pretty crap if I'm honest and when refitting it's always worth sealing it up with some automotive silicone on the outside of it, the same goes for the front crankshaft seal outer body

The unfortunate news is you're going to need to remove the coolant pump again as the bolt that fits the idler assembly in front of it has a bolt sat behind this as well as the opposite side where the alternator will need to be removed.

You can, with some fiddling remove the alternator and loosen that bolt and with an 8mm spanner get to the one behind the coolant pump to loosen it but you won't get it back in when you go tighten it all back up.

On this screenshot it shows the one of the far right is behind the coolant pump pulley and the one on the left can only be accessed by removing the alternator

Click image to enlarge

Whilst you have the coolant pump off it's worth checking the rear of the 2 timing cover bolts that sit just by it, if the sealant used to seal the timing cover has begun to perish then these 2 bolts can weep oil from their rear as they go through the block and stick out.
Post #899937 25th Apr 2021 12:55pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I've removed and refitted the pulley carrier plate without disturbing the coolant pump but it is very awkward to do and involves quite a lot of swearing.
Post #899975 25th Apr 2021 8:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1