↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Remembrance Sunday - am I getting old or just out of touch?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
andydef90 wrote:
I know to some they will think I am sad when I go to my parents grave every two weeks I leave a flower on a grave where I park my Landy he was a squaddie who died when he was 30 its not had any other flowers on for a long time

Good on you Thumbs Up
Post #735759 19th Oct 2018 7:05pm
IanW

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
Students putting forward their ‘motions’ - reminds me that there is more than one meaning for some words. One wife - livid
Post #735786 19th Oct 2018 7:51pm
Adam17

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
mick wrote:
andydef90 wrote:
I know to some they will think I am sad when I go to my parents grave every two weeks I leave a flower on a grave where I park my Landy he was a squaddie who died when he was 30 its not had any other flowers on for a long time

Good on you Thumbs Up

Agreed - good on you! Someone has to care. The world is in a sad state of affairs. Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

My Defender story - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64005.html
Post #735855 20th Oct 2018 9:54am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Just ordered my grille poppy, hope it winds them up. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #736073 21st Oct 2018 6:02pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I have a Poppy too I bought a few weeks ago, one of the car ones from RBL. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #736075 21st Oct 2018 6:08pm
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
I have a union jack bonnet and HGV sized poppy on my 90...

Click image to enlarge

Bow down BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #736090 21st Oct 2018 8:12pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #736091 21st Oct 2018 8:14pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

"When you go home, tell them of us and say, for their tomorrow, we gave our today."
Post #736497 24th Oct 2018 2:17pm
jeffersj

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bronze Green
To add in agreement of all above - we can legitimately ask, what good will come of acknowledging the suffering and resilience of people 100 years ago BUT -

An act of communal 'remembrance', such as a minutes' silence reminds us that we all need each other, in good times or bad, just as we did in the past, or more importantly, as we certainly will in the future. We are part of each other's happiness. That too is what we are remembering.

My g/father was killed during WW1 with no known grave but listed on the Menin gate in Ypres and I will be honouring those that gave their lives in all conflicts. Jeff
Ex 1968 Series 2A
Ex 90 TD5
Ex D3
Ex D4
Post #736833 26th Oct 2018 9:09am
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
With this important day coming up we must remember this is a lot more than remembering the soldiers of the Great War, this time of year with recent hostilities coming to an end and new ones beginning for our countries men and women, who are still deployed in theatres of war, this is our time to honour them and remember all they have given physicalaly and mentally.

When you stand silent and bow your head to remember a distant family member, just remember the person left or right of you may be remebring a recent family member or best friend he or she was alongside at the worst possible time, if you do see someone struggling please make an effort to see if they are ok, sometimes just asking is enough to help them.

To my brothers and sisters on this forum we may not of served shoulder to shoulder but I thank each and everyone of you.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #736980 26th Oct 2018 11:53pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thank you for your post Mash. A most appropriate sentiment.

Lest we forget.

I do worry that message has been lost in recent times. The act of remembrance has been hijacked and turned into the British championship for virtue signalling. In days gone by one would wear a simple British Legion paper poppy and pay respects on Remembrance Sunday plus the 11th when it falls on a different day. These poppies were made by veterans in the Richmond factory and one would donate an appropriate sum.
Nowadays folks seem more concerned with telling the internet just how much they care and vilifying others they deem not respectful enough. Instead of a paper poppy these types drape themselves, cars and homes with as much chinese made landfill destined poppy related tat as humanly possible.
Remembrance day now has more in common with Halloween or Red Nose Day, only instead of one or two days it goes on for weeks, sometimes months.
Post #737011 27th Oct 2018 9:24am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Virtue signalling is going around with a white poppy.

I would have thought the more people that show their respects, the more the population would be grateful that we have not forgotten.

That I would have thought was much more important than how somone wishes to display their red poppy. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #737013 27th Oct 2018 10:00am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I didn't know much about white poppies until a few years back when I saw a neighbour at our local Remembrance service wearing one alongside all his medals. Really interesting chap. He was wounded and captured at Arnhem during Operation Market Garden. He managed to escape and was helped by locals to eventually make it back. Incredible story and he was so matter of fact about it. Anyway he told me he would only wear a white poppy as he believed in peace but wanted to remember his comrades. Remarkable gentleman. Not seen him for a while, probably passed on now. I think he said he was only 19 at the time.
Post #737026 27th Oct 2018 11:27am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
I'll wear a red poppy, always have, always will. It is the icon the stands for Remembrance. However, and I have been reminded of this just this week with documentaries on the Great War and the recent war in Syria, I am forever saddened by the futility of war and the waste of life, egineered more often than not by men whom have never served, nor will ever serve, their country in battle. They launch our countries into conflicts with impunity and without a second's thought for the devastation it will wreak on so many soldiers and their families. I served and did so with pride. I also immensely enjoyed my service, including all overseas postings and operations. Indeed so much so that I would still recommend service to any son or daughter of any friend of mine, thinking about joining. But the irony is that I nevertheless hate the realities of war, the devastation it leaves behind, the friends I have lost, the damage to their families, the friends who's lives have been irreversably effected, the civilian collateral, the regions devastated, and all to satisfy the ego of a Western Politician or a regional dictator. Whilst we may have to go to war to defend ourselves and our democracies (and for that we still need standing armies), as was the case in WWI and WWII, recent conflicts have, in my opinion, been a total and utter waste of life. Iraq and Afghanistan need never have happened and I remain sad to this day for them. We have turned from defenders to protagonists and not only reaped a whirlwind in a region that has yet to recover, and likely won't in our lifetime, but far from improving our secrity we have actually made the situation worse. We are bigger targets than we ever were. With all this in mind, whilst I will not ever wear a white poppy, the utter futility of modern warfare, lessons from which we refuse to learn, certainly make me identify with the sentiments of your 'old boy with the medals' and I would consider myself to be largely 'peaceful', if not an out and out pacifist. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #737044 27th Oct 2018 2:09pm
jeffersj

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bronze Green
Just copied this from Defender & Series FB page

Click image to enlarge
 Jeff
Ex 1968 Series 2A
Ex 90 TD5
Ex D3
Ex D4
Post #737408 29th Oct 2018 4:58pm