↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Remembrance Sunday - am I getting old or just out of touch?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Remembrance Sunday - am I getting old or just out of touch?
Just seen this on a friends Twitter feed, I have to ask what is the world coming to when the younger generation cannot appreciate that Remembrance Sunday is just that & that it is the exact opposite of glorification!

For me Remembrance Sunday is a display of respect.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018...ssion=true
Post #734736 14th Oct 2018 9:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I don’t think oxford graduates are an accurate representation of the UK’s younger generation to be fair.
Most of them there no doubt believe they are so highly intelligent yet cannot even cook.
If anything these things have got worse in this respect.
Without our forefathers, life as we currently know it would have not existed if they had not risked their lives and many also gave their lives.
Sadly the freedom they fought for to this day is sadly under threat in recent times. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #734741 14th Oct 2018 9:38pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
We will DEFINITELY be remembering "Remembrance Day" at our Anglican Church on 11th November, very special,...100th anniversary this year. We have a "Gallipoli Precinct" at our Church which has a flag pole, steel plaque, seating area etc, where these special days are remembered.
Pickles.
Post #734745 14th Oct 2018 9:56pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
I think that if they could see the youth of today and our society as it is, they may well have not bothered. Big Cry 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #734746 14th Oct 2018 9:57pm
m3vert

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 2.5 TD PU Stornoway Grey
The way I look at it is that those who died fought for us to live a free life. If they decide not to remember the fallen, shame on them BUT that is their right. I however will be remembering! I have 398 wooden crosses being made to be laid at our War Memorial on the 11th November. We will remember them!
Post #734770 15th Oct 2018 8:29am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue

Click image to enlarge

Please don’t lump me in with the youth of today, some of us have worn the uniform! Even then this ain’t most of us!

No honestly they’re entitled little brats, who quite honestly should experience something before criticising it.

I don’t like the drama of the parades and the services, but appreciate it as it’s humbling and honouring.

War is the most contradictory thing and is utterly incomprehensible unless you be been through it.

It’s taken me about two hours and a half to type out the above... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #734788 15th Oct 2018 10:02am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
For me the concept is in the title "Remembrance Day". It is a day of remembrance! Perhaps too simple for the snowflakes of today.
My paternal grandfather was killed in the First World War and so I never knew him. It is only since I became a grandfather myself that I have researched his history and short life.
However I do remember quite clearly the older generation criticising my generation for having no respect in the 60's. Make love - not war seemed particularly offensive to them at the time.
Hopefully todays generation will mature and reflect on past events in a different light as they get older.
We can only hope for a better future.
Post #734790 15th Oct 2018 10:21am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
custom90steve wrote:

Most of them there no doubt believe they are so highly intelligent yet cannot even cook.

seriously Shocked Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #734799 15th Oct 2018 11:16am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
To keep this in perspective, bear in mind that the orchestrator is a "student activist". In general such people are publicity-seeking narcissists with a hugely over-inflated sense of their own worth, far too little work to do, no real-world cares or problems, and with irrational left-wing affiliations. Bear in mind also that this is Cambridge University (not Oxford as noted above, by the way) which has a long and established track record of housing students who are even further into the fringe of society than most other universities.

It may be that this particular person does not fit the stereotype above (although her photo suggests that she fits it to a tee) but in reality I think that her views are (a) unrepresentative of ever her small and insignificant part of society, let alone society at large, and (b) probably intended to be controversial and generate publicity. Her argument (the remembrance glamorises war) is so obviously flawed that I find it hard to believe even she thinks it had credibility. Ideally she would simply have been ignored and treated with the contempt that such as she deserve.

Time was when students studied, and enjoyed to privilege of being able to do so. Now they - or at least some, hopefully a minority - seem to view it as a sort of alternative lifestyle which they are owed by society and which obviates the need ever to do any real work (and for which they have politicians are role models).

Oxford University loony leftie students are no better - look at the profoundly ignorant Rhodes fiasco of recent years.
Post #734800 15th Oct 2018 11:19am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
custom90steve wrote:

James , my sister is living proof Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Sadly being intelligent, doesn't mean they aren't ignorant, and often overthink things either Rolling Eyes
Post #734802 15th Oct 2018 11:22am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
OsloBlue wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Please don’t lump me in with the youth of today, some of us have worn the uniform! Even then this ain’t most of us!

No honestly they’re entitled little brats, who quite honestly should experience something before criticising it.

I don’t like the drama of the parades and the services, but appreciate it as it’s humbling and honouring.

War is the most contradictory thing and is utterly incomprehensible unless you be been through it.

It’s taken me about two hours and a half to type out the above...

Respect is due to you for writing that OsloBlue.
Post #734813 15th Oct 2018 12:25pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
Just remember there is nothing new here. See the Oxford Union debate “that this House will in no circumstances fight for its King and Country” of 9th February 1933!

Expect universities to suggest controversial actions.
Oddly I wore uniform and attended services as a student.

I wear a poppy and attend to remember those that were killed. I know veterans like my Great Uncle who never would go as he considered the services a whitewash by those who had contributed to the slaughter and waste of the war. He was wounded twice while serving with the North Lancashire Regiment at Passchendaele and in Ireland. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #734837 15th Oct 2018 3:48pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Entitled students rebelling. Whaddasurprise?

That's not newsworthy, it's the Daily Telegraph trolling their readers with click-bait. £££££.

Problem is it's too easy for them because outrage has now become national pastime.
Post #734855 15th Oct 2018 5:00pm
Siwynne

England 
They need a war graves trip. That’ll fix em.

How can seeing memorials with names on fail to engage and move them. This is the newest near to me. HMS ringtail at Burscough.

Click image to enlarge
Post #734885 15th Oct 2018 7:45pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
shropshiredefender wrote:

Respect is due to you for writing that OsloBlue.

Honestly i didn't know where to start or even describe it... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #734891 15th Oct 2018 8:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>