↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Burglar stabbed to death by a 71 year old man
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Lateralus

United States 
Grenadier, we have a culture in the United States that worships depravity, teaches people to blame their ills on other groups of people and doesnt enforce our gun laws. The right of me and my family to protect ourselves has no relation to other Americans and their cultural rot. My rights don't hinge on how many teens commit suicide with a gun because they don't have enough Facebook friends. We believe in individual rights. The idividual is the smallest minority.

It seems as if progressives in the United States that promote cultural rot, also don't enforce gun laws in the city's they have overwhelming control over. That's not on me and my right to self defense. It's a separate issue. It's almost as if they promote violence and depravity as a means to alter our rights in a way that better suits their desire for more control.

Iam armed every day and it doesnt make me feel tough or make me feel like a cowboy. It does however make me think twice about escalating situations in public because I have a great responsibility being armed. Just like gun shows in the United states are generally very safe places to be. Like I said, personal freedom has consequences but so does over regulation.
Post #699167 7th Apr 2018 3:11pm
Slideywindows

England 
The problem with widespread gun ownership is that if it was allowed in England, then the burgler in this case would have come into the old chap's house armed with a gun, rather than a screwdriver.

If I'm going to be woken in the night by an intruder, I would rather he be armed with a screwdriver than an assault rifle - even if I owned an assault rifle myself.

I have something beside my bed that could deal with a scrote with a screwdriver, so I don't need a gun...... Twisted Evil
Post #699297 7th Apr 2018 9:58pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Grenadier wrote:
Lateralus wrote:
It would seem like an easy target if the man didn't have the right to protect himself with a firearm. A firearm puts everyone on a level playing field in a way. Whether your a single 100 pound mother, a gay couple or a 70 something man or woman with 5 different health problems. If I were in the business of home burglary or assault in a place that didn't allow for self defense with a firearm, I would exploit that by targeting the weak and elderly.

Personal freedom does have a price, but so does over regulation.

Some further thoughts and remember I like guns being ex-Military. I just don't think everyone should own (or is capable/well-trained/intelligent enough to own) a firearm.

"Gun violence in the United States results in tens of thousands of deaths and injuries annually. In 2013, there were 73,505 nonfatal firearm injuries (23.2 injuries per 100,000 U.S. citizens), and 33,636 deaths due to "injury by firearms" (10.6 deaths per 100,000 U.S. citizens)".

In 2010, there were an estimated 5,419,000 crashes, 30,296 of with fatalities, killing 32,999, and injuring 2,239,000. About 2,000 children under 16 die every year in traffic collisions. Records indicate that there have been a total of 3,613,732 motor vehicle fatalities in the United States from 1899 to 2013.

That's right, more deaths by firearms than RTAs. Shocked

Every time a gun in or around the home was used in self-defense, or in a legally justified shooting, there were four unintentional shootings, seven criminal assaults or homicides, and 11 attempted or completed suicides.

That's one self-defense shooting for 22 accidental, suicidal or criminal shootings -- hardly support for the notion that having a gun handy makes people safer.

Other studies show that women and children are disproportionately the victims of such gunshots, and that when children commit suicide, guns in their home or at their friends or relatives' homes are used.

In 2014, there were an estimated 1,729,806 burglaries.

Gun deaths consisted of 11,208 homicides, 21,175 suicides, 505 deaths due to accidental or negligent discharge of a firearm, and 281 deaths due to firearms use with "undetermined intent". Of the 2,596,993 total deaths in the US in 2013, 1.3% were related to firearms.

Surprisingly, most burglaries occur between 10 AM and 3PM. Many homes are empty during this time while people are at work. Burglars know this and use it to their advantage.

2.5 million victims use a gun to scare their offender. That's almost 5 law-abiding citizens a minute. However, victims only shoot their offender 8% of the time.

Gun related killings as a % of all homicides, US 64%, UK4.5%

Not the most comforting stats. Does all the other mayhem derived from gun ownership (and I haven't dipped into the media's favourite: mass shootings) warrant gun ownership when deaths during robbery/burglary only accounts for 0.04 of all attempted robberies.

Let them get on with shooting each other
Post #699304 7th Apr 2018 10:22pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Slideywindows wrote:
The problem with widespread gun ownership is that if it was allowed in England, then the burgler in this case would have come into the old chap's house armed with a gun, rather than a screwdriver.

If I'm going to be woken in the night by an intruder, I would rather he be armed with a screwdriver than an assault rifle - even if I owned an assault rifle myself.

I have something beside my bed that could deal with a scrote with a screwdriver, so I don't need a gun...... Twisted Evil

Exactly this! We do NOT want a rediculous gun culture like in the US. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #699310 7th Apr 2018 11:35pm
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
Grenadier, great stats and argument, although you cannot use logic, statistics and rational thought to sway the converted..
It stands to reason that if gun law was relaxed here it wouldn’t be Mondeo man, 2.4 kids, 3 bed semi who arm themselves, it will be people who WANT to carry a gun..
we have, I believe, got it the best part of right that we can..

Cheers alex 98 300 tdi 90 project
94 Range Rover vogue 4.2 lse
79 911 sc
08 130 double cab utility
Post #699351 8th Apr 2018 12:00pm
Lateralus

United States 
There is no logic behind disarming a populace and then importing many people from other cultures who hate your way of life.

The men often imported into Europe don't care about your laws and values if it doesn't comply with their holy book, meanwhile the London mayor wants ban knives and people are getting acid thrown onto them.

The west as a whole seems to have been domesticated to a point where it's becoming very vulnerable in my opinion. I can respect that each country has its own laws and culture but what I hear and read out of Europe and even here in the US has many of us worried.
Post #699629 9th Apr 2018 6:10pm
mk1collector

Our populace hasn't been disarmed as it was never really armed, also knives are banned already (not just in London) and I don't think anyone is getting imported into England. The media your watching that is giving you all of this information is just sensationalising and you're believing it. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #699642 9th Apr 2018 7:05pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Lateralus wrote:
There is no logic behind disarming a populace and then importing many people from other cultures who hate your way of life.

The men often imported into Europe don't care about your laws and values if it doesn't comply with their holy book, meanwhile the London mayor wants ban knives and people are getting acid thrown onto them.

The west as a whole seems to have been domesticated to a point where it's becoming very vulnerable in my opinion. I can respect that each country has its own laws and culture but what I hear and read out of Europe and even here in the US has many of us worried.

You lot sure do need educating to the Western world and history Laughing
I was stood in front of this castle last week when a bus load of Yanks got off and started calling it a Church Rolling with laughter
Post #699648 9th Apr 2018 7:34pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
doh. Confused

it's a monastery right?
Post #699654 9th Apr 2018 7:53pm
Lateralus

United States 
I've stated my opinion and it is what it is. Iam glad we can debate and disagree and share our views and I wish nothing but the best for the UK and Europe.

We can all agree that the new defender and Ford bronco need to stay true to their image of ruggedness. Hopefully by next year we will have some idea what they will look like. Iam liking the new wrangler aside from the new angle of the windshield.
Post #699658 9th Apr 2018 8:05pm
Projectblue

England 
Lateralus wrote:
Yes of course there are tough people of all shapes and sizes. I guess being unarmed is good incentive for the elderly to get in shape and learn martial arts or boxing so they can fight 20-something criminals.

Let's be real though, if youre a criminal and know some old lady using a walker, living alone and has nice things, you are going to pick her place to loot or assault. There's a good chance she isnt a kickboxer. If she has access to a firearm, her odds just went way up.

In the spirit of discussion, so in no way decrying your way of life but I am questioning the thought process.
What you are saying is that the gun levels the playing field.
So the little old lady, if she had access to a firearm, could defend herself.
But then the 20 something robber could also have a firearm.
So the playing field is still unlevel because the law abiding old dear who doesn't actual want to hurt anyone is facing a crack addict who doesn't care. So maybe both die and good riddance to the crack addict - sad about the old dear but she went down fighting right?
What about the cops that come along after?
What about the kid next door who catches a stray round through the wall?
What about the number of people shot by their own kids?
Or the number of peoples children who accidentally kill themselves because they found their parents gun?

Now, in the UK chances are your crack addict is armed with a screw driver. Little old lady is going to struggle, but if she's armed with a 5 iron, she's now level or ahead. She can hit them and generally, unless she gets lucky and lands a blow to the head, she's not going to kill them.
No passers by.
No neighbours wounded
No cops shooting her by accident (maybe taser if the lights bad, but she should survive that ok)
No grand kids finding the 5 iron when visiting and accidentally repainting the living room wall (I make light of that to disguise a truly awful event).

I used to own two pistols. A 9mm semi pistol and a .357 S&W Magnum. Following the Dunblane massacre, myself and all pistol owners were ordered by the Govt to give the hobby up. Turned mine in, got a receipt, was given compensation. I was livid then. Raging about the Govt interfering with what I wanted to do as a hobby. I was bloody good at it as well, which was annoying.
Anyhoo.
Few years later; I found a different hobby in Land Rovers. I forgot about not owning guns.
There have been no school massacres since. 20 years and no one has walked into a school and murdered loads of kids with a gun.

I have no doubt that its cost prohibitive (not to mention 'unconstitutional') to do this in the USA. 360 million guns @ average $500 = $180bn. But just think of all the kids that wouldn't die.

Just my thoughts on it. I will leave you with this.

I don't know why America doesn't just all climb up a mountain every year and throw a few hundred kids off it as a sacrifice in the name of freedom. You could select them by lottery (like Hunger Games). It would make more sense, and at least America wouldn't be kidding itself that the lives of the kids are not what it costs so that grown men can feel safe in their house.

Please don't misunderstand me. I like Americans. Like every Country, there are lovely people and amazing places. I'm not American bashing. New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #699741 9th Apr 2018 10:51pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
In the spirit of the conversion, this is becoming tedious. I am 78 and if someone broke into my house I would just shoot or stab the Bast**d.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #699747 9th Apr 2018 11:20pm
mk1collector

Post #699749 9th Apr 2018 11:43pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Now there is a shrine to the burglar outside the old mans house Banging Head

The press are reporting it to keep this saga going.

The flowers and the rest of the crap should be collected by the council and binned. Would this cause an uproar with in a small part of the criminal community - probably. However it might just send out the mesage that we will not tolerate criminality or the supporters of it.

Furthermore its not fair on the pensioner. We should still be seen to be supporting him but allowing this shine to take place is sending out the wrong message.

I stand corrected - looks like the local community is doing the councils job and pulling the shrine down - thank God for that - decency and a need to show the criminal fraternity that this will not be tolerated prevails Thumbs Up 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #699764 10th Apr 2018 6:34am
leeds

United Kingdom 
I saw the photographs of the 'shrine' outside the victims house.

What struck me was it appeared to be an organised 'shrine' rather then the ad hoc shrines which occur at other sites which comes from individual people paying their personal respects.

For organised I mean the flowers and balloons were sort of colour coded and spaced out at what seem to be regular measured intervals.

I thought it was totally disrespectful to the true victims of this crime and am glad it has been removed. To issue threats against a 78 year old man who was only defending himself and his wife from a 'armed' intrusion into their home is totally unacceptable. That elderly couple have enough trauma to live with and their home will no longer feel like their home after the invasion without further external pressure.

Brendan
Post #699785 10th Apr 2018 9:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>