↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > vnt turbo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Naf

Kuwait 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Nato Green No Canopy
vnt turbo
So i have been trying to get in touch with td5inside, and no matter which social media i used they have an excuse not to reply.

"i have over 100 emails and msgs to answer"

CR Turbos wont quote me direct, saying td5inside has exclusive rights, yadda yadda yadda.

Here is my problem, regardless of boost pressure, 15 or 20 psi, the power doesnt kick on till about 2500rpm. Below, i am an old steam train and lorries pass me, above, i can keep up with traffic and rumble down the highway at 120kph.

I want to lower this sweet spot and get more out of my engine. I would like to upgrade to a hybrid vnt turbo and be done with it. I have a solenoid for two levels of boost, normal driving is 15psi and the magic button yields me 20psi and a nice burst of speed. My son loves it for i hit the button as he finishes saying "give me some speed" Wifes still livid, but what to do.

I have alives ultimate intercooler, silicone hoses, griffin 3" exhaust, and water/methanol injection, 3gph nozzle from 15-19psi and an additional 2gph nozzle for 20psi. MSB ecu with PSI tuning box only active when activated the 20psi. So i shouldnt have any lack of power

Last edited by Naf on 4th Apr 2018 8:31am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #698175 3rd Apr 2018 10:25am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
You need a proper remap to take advantage of the VNT really. 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #698177 3rd Apr 2018 10:30am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Thing is you appear to have just bolted bits on hoping for power.

TD5inside is one guy working near enough worldwide so yes is very busy. Their VNT must be installed with his mapping or it wont run correctly.
Post #698205 3rd Apr 2018 12:59pm
Naf

I agree completely, it has to be remapped with new VNT turbo. That's obvious.

If he is that international, then his website should reflect actual buyin options and not contact forms.

I have a NNN ecu, but its calibrated for 15P engine, not 10P i currently am running...
Post #698209 3rd Apr 2018 1:24pm
Gerry

United Kingdom 
Without the ECU remap, and the auxiliary boost box to fool the ECU into allowing greater psi you're really not going to see great benefit from those additions.....but with a proper remap and the equipment you have you'll be lightning quick. Smile
I have a TD5inside remap done and cant recommend the guy highly enough, I'm fortunate enough to know one of his clients in the competition circuit who let me know when Jose was going to be local.
Post #698213 3rd Apr 2018 1:41pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Time has changed a bit - there are better ways than fooling the ECU with boost box. You need the proper tuning file for your NNN ECU (there are at least 2 different HW versions needed different map - older NNN000120 and newer NNN500020 or NNN500250) and your engine. Without this, it will not work correctly.
After uploading the right file into the ECU, it is just the right set of the turbo output pressure regulation. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #698215 3rd Apr 2018 1:49pm
Gerry

United Kingdom 
Interesting, thanks.
Post #698216 3rd Apr 2018 1:52pm
Naf

I found CR have allowed allisport to sell their GT2058 turbo, but is it worth it, or the VNT better?

My alternative is to score a hybrid BMW VNT turbo and adapt it to fit my engine.

Make an 2 top and 1 bottom bolt pattern to 1 top and 2 bottom adapter. I will get all the needed hoses, banjo bolts and drainage.

The BMW is a GT2256. which should flow more, and just as quick.

No oh but thats chinese crap plz, they are all basically chinese these days...
Post #698219 3rd Apr 2018 2:08pm
rallysteve

What are you expecting to acheive by changing to another VNT?

If you want to use a different turbo you need a remap suitable for that turbo. You cant just bolt one on and expect it to work with the standard map.

The boost box is presumably just preventing the ecu sensing overboost and going into limp mode by masking the reading of the MAP sensor? It is not helping the turbo spool at lower revs as it is not changing any of the fuel mapping.

Additionally it doesnt sound like you are even running the correct map for your engine. 10P and 15P use different injectors and pressures. I would suggest you get it properly remapped. 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
Post #698222 3rd Apr 2018 3:06pm
Naf

For the love of God, i agreed to the remap with new turbo. Lets move past the stupid remap issue...

I am runnin the correct map for my engine, i have a msb, which originally came with my 10p engine, and a nnn ecu which is calibrated for my 15p engine.

The 15p is sittin in my warehouse. The 10p is installed in my defender. We traced the issue to the injector wire loom. Two cyl were not firing. So that may drop the sweet spot down.

Now back to my thread

going to the Bmw VNt cause it is available, more fordable, and just needs fabrication of parts on my end to make it fit the Defender exhaust manifold. I will then send my nnn ECU file for recalibration of my new turbo on my 10p engine, probably storm, or alive. Retaini my 15p file for later if i feel the urge to swap.

Again i currently have the correct map for the correct engine. I just am lookin to lower my sweet spot from 2500rpm to 2000, if not lower.
Post #698227 3rd Apr 2018 3:30pm
rallysteve

And with that attitude I am out.. 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
Post #698238 3rd Apr 2018 3:47pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Problem is you don't seem to be listening. It does not matter if your TD5 is mapped or not, if you change the turbo the mapping has be be adjusted accordingly, the torque curve can also be adjusted.

Just slapping on a BMW VNT won't do much without adjusting the mapping to suit it.

Best bet is to wait for Jose to reply (which he will eventually, Sunday/Mondays are usually his email days) get the CR VNT (race spec one if you want which is slightly larger) fit it and have him send over a suitable map.

Ideally you need to dump the PSI tuning box & the boost box. The tuning box is just going to dump more fuel in at certain revs and potentially cause issues down the line. The boost box should be removed & replaced with an uprated MAP sensor and the boost limit electronically raised.

If I am wrong this is your set up -
Standard map
VNT
PSI box
Boost box

I agree TD5inside need to spend a little time/cash on some admin but Jose appears to be a victim of his own success, he certainly wasn't this busy a 14 months ago when he mapped mine (which actually needs to be adjusted as is smoking a little too much)
Post #698280 3rd Apr 2018 6:52pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Hello Naf,

I probably cannot say here that the PSI power box is better then the best tune you can find. But clearly a lot off people here don't understand it. Laughing
As you have an water/methanol injection system I think you know what you are doing.

A standard tune also looks at the inlet pressure and temperature to calculate the max fuel injection that is why just increasing the turbo pressure will give you a little more power.

If you install a VNT turbo and adjust it properly you will get more boost at a lower rpm. As your psi power box will kick in at about 1300 rpm you will have an good effect off it in Mr ZULU mode.

I have my PSI power box also behind a switch but also behind a small piece of chinees electronics. My PSI power box only kicks in if I am at full throttle. It measure the Throttle voltage from track 1 and kicks in at 4,5 V.
I hate the always kicking in at 1300 rpm as that is were I happen to drive a lot in town. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #698361 3rd Apr 2018 10:19pm
Naf

I listened, and i understand the reasons behind the remap, even with a hybrid turbo vs stock. Diesels like lean burns, but when you pump in more air, you have to also pump in more fuel, the ecu has its limits, and when the limits are met, it doesnt offer you more than what it is programmed to give. I have tuned LS engines, and just correcting the MAF to minimize the trim goes a long way in delivering more power and a stable idle

My current setup is this

10p Engine unknown condition
Hybrid stock size turbo
PSI tuning box
Sprint Boost throttle
Alive uprated Map sensor

I do not have the boost box installed, as the new MAP sensor helps fix that problem.

I am looking to upgrade to a VNT turbo, to drop my sweet spot down from 2500rpm to around 2000rpm if not lower. This way i am not constantly revving the engine to give me enough power to keep up with traffic.

Jose did finally email me last night, and and you are right he is a victim of his own success, his reply was very unprofessional and insulting. I initially emailed him on Nov 2016, with an uncountable amount of web forms filled out, no replies were received. In Jan of this yr i got in touch with CR turbo over fb and they said i have to use him, i replied back, i am not going to wait forever, They told Jose this, and he pushed my email to the bottom of the list for three more months. He mentioned this in his reply.

Its not my fault i found work in the middle east, its not easy to find great ppl who do great work or offer great products, because we all know there are ppl out there who will take your money and offer you less than what they promised I have been nice and patient, but lets be honest no one is that good to act like that. In today's economy, you have to pick your battles. And with the internet, everyone is your competitor.

I declined on his help, and wished him well, i will not work with a prick how thinks he is the center of the universe, i am surrounded by enough of those ppl here.

I will buy a new Nanocom for my td5 NNN ecu and install my 15p engine which i rebuilt with new rings bearings and gaskets. I took the time and ported out the head to match the intake and exhaust gaskets. Its nothing crazy, but i merely allowed more flow of air in, and removed all the sudden obstacles in the way that may give any restriction. I will log and remap the ecu to fit my setup or may even ask for Storm tuning to assist since they come highly recommended, who also have replied to my emails... Alive is fine, but i feel since they are industrial giants, they just do copy pastes and its either you take it or move on. I did find another company called Monster, who offer more affordable remaps, and they guy on the phone sounded like he was on the ball.

I have AFR, Boost, rpm, and EGT gauges hooked up to my engine, so i may log all the parameters and later review via Innovate motorsports logging program.

bankz5152 wrote:
Problem is you don't seem to be listening. It does not matter if your TD5 is mapped or not, if you change the turbo the mapping has be be adjusted accordingly, the torque curve can also be adjusted.

Just slapping on a BMW VNT won't do much without adjusting the mapping to suit it.

Best bet is to wait for Jose to reply (which he will eventually, Sunday/Mondays are usually his email days) get the CR VNT (race spec one if you want which is slightly larger) fit it and have him send over a suitable map.

Ideally you need to dump the PSI tuning box & the boost box. The tuning box is just going to dump more fuel in at certain revs and potentially cause issues down the line. The boost box should be removed & replaced with an uprated MAP sensor and the boost limit electronically raised.

If I am wrong this is your set up -
Standard map
VNT
PSI box
Boost box

I agree TD5inside need to spend a little time/cash on some admin but Jose appears to be a victim of his own success, he certainly wasn't this busy a 14 months ago when he mapped mine (which actually needs to be adjusted as is smoking a little too much)
Post #698417 4th Apr 2018 8:05am
Naf

rallysteve wrote:
And with that attitude I am out..

If you are not going to read the other posts, and just type what you want, you are not being a positive contribution to this or other threads.

Five ppl in five posts including you TWICE said to remap, and one other member said exactly what you did, add a boost box. Madtom corrected him and mentioned with the new NNN ecu, you are able to program the boost to be higher, deleting the need for a boost box.

Last edited by Naf on 4th Apr 2018 8:31am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #698418 4th Apr 2018 8:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>