↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > vnt turbo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Naf

Kuwait 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Nato Green No Canopy
I did not know that. Thank you for the information.

My methanol injection is -20f windshield wiper fluid, so if i have my ratios right is 35% methanol and 60% water and 5% crap. I could remix it to 50:50, but i find 35% works well enough in my Tahoe. It enriched the mixture of 12.8afr with the system off to 12.2afr with the system on at WOT.

May i suggest a Speed and rpm switch for your setup, so when you are above 2000rpm, and above 50mph your psi box kicks on and you go a tad faster? I have s similar setup with IAT for my tahoe, unless the IAT reads above 25c the injection system is off, above 25c, the first stage kicks on and above 40c another nozzle is also turn on. My IATs drop from 50c+ to 24c at WOT. that's a win in my books

On my defender i have a solenoid that allows a pressure reference to either go to directly to the wastegate or pass through a dawes device for my 20psi boost level and when i press my magic button, my wastegate actuator goes from a 15psi running pressure to 20psi, and the PSI tuning box turns on to give me that lil bit extra fuel to keep me "pinned to my seat".

But what am i to expect from a MSB unchipped ecu. Alive wants 250 pounds for the DIY install kit and waves all liability of it working since we are doing the installation. 250 pounds seems to be the magic remap price for just about all the great suppliers. But the discos dont suffer from our inflated prices, cause though its basically the same engine, certain parameters are opposite. THANK YOU LR...

roel wrote:
Hello Naf,

I probably cannot say here that the PSI power box is better then the best tune you can find. But clearly a lot off people here don't understand it. Laughing
As you have an water/methanol injection system I think you know what you are doing.

A standard tune also looks at the inlet pressure and temperature to calculate the max fuel injection that is why just increasing the turbo pressure will give you a little more power.

If you install a VNT turbo and adjust it properly you will get more boost at a lower rpm. As your psi power box will kick in at about 1300 rpm you will have an good effect off it in Mr ZULU mode.

I have my PSI power box also behind a switch but also behind a small piece of chinees electronics. My PSI power box only kicks in if I am at full throttle. It measure the Throttle voltage from track 1 and kicks in at 4,5 V.
I hate the always kicking in at 1300 rpm as that is were I happen to drive a lot in town.
Post #698422 4th Apr 2018 7:30am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Last weekend I have upgraded map in Disco 2 TD5 with auto gearbox and bigger torque converter - from very old (original 2001) standard map to the latest one standard map. Difference in driveability was big. Next step will be some slight power upgrade.
Difference between map in even older MSB ECU and latest map in NNN ECU is even bigger. Not in maximal power, but smoothness of the power delivery.
With all your changes, like upgraded MAF and different turbo, and standard very old software in MSB ECU the result cannot be good, possible a bit better than original setup. If you have NNN ECU try at least newer standard map. And then switch to proper remap suitable to your turbo and other upgrades. Take out boost box and power box. Boost box is only good for tuning of new turbo, to limit a bit protections in ECU, but not good for proper work. The same with power box - with proper remap you get better results. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #698613 4th Apr 2018 7:20pm
Gerry

United Kingdom 
Naf wrote:
rallysteve wrote:
And with that attitude I am out..

If you are not going to read the other posts, and just type what you want, you are not being a positive contribution to this or other threads.

Five ppl in five posts including you TWICE said to remap, and one other member said exactly what you did, add a boost box. Madtom corrected him and mentioned with the new NNN ecu, you are able to program the boost to be higher, deleting the need for a boost box.

I was the other guy mentioned the boost box but I had misread the opening post as I thought you had all the other performance enhancing upgrades fitted but were still running the stock turbo and standard remap but as that's not the case disregard what I wrote and sorry for the confusion.
On another note, you wouldn't happen to have any experience with this you'd like to pass on. https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/webshop/pro...ridge.html
Post #698702 5th Apr 2018 9:18am
Naf

Gerry,

Already installed, but to take advantage of the new lower performance, i need to remap.

I found the turborebuilts can make me a hybrid turbo for the BMW M57 and only 375 plus shipping. Its 55 pounds for the performance billet impeller, 50 pounds core, 245 pounds for the cartridge, and 25 pounds for balancing the new impeller in the new cartridge.

Its the cheapest price with the highest quality i have seen.

I have a dawes device, which helps with controllin the boost and keeping it as much linear as possible. No spikes in pressure, and no sudden drops either.

Now do i go with my frankenturbo, BAS' VNT or Allisport's VNT?

Since i am at a stand still i will just swap my 10P for my built 15P and install the new Alive turbo and ECU and just roll it that way. Enough buying, its time to just drop the hammer and play with the cards i was dealt with...If i have the need for more power then its a matter of swapping in a larger engine and turbo and calling it a day...
Post #702551 23rd Apr 2018 8:29am
Naf

Change in direction, it looks like i am goin to get the turbo from a mercedes sprinter, GT2256v basically, but i will also get the bmw gt2256v turbo, take the compressor housing from that one out, modified by turbo clinic and installed on the merc gt2256v.

The merc cartridge, will have to be modified where i take the vane control and install it on the other side for top mounted actuator.

Its a bit more machinary work, but this should take me in the direction and give me dependable performance with dependable parts.
Post #705663 6th May 2018 6:59pm
pj2106

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Have you considered the hybrid td5 turbo from alive with a stage 4 tune 210bhp easy 2008 110 2.4 XS Utility (Hagrid)
2002 90 TD5 Hardtop (Sully) Sold
1998 300TDi D1 (Billy) Sold
Post #705664 6th May 2018 7:03pm
Naf

I already have it, but havent installed it yet as it was tuned for a 15p and i currently am lookin to see what my 10p can do for me first.

Remappin will be from storm tunin, as they replied quickly and said all the right things when chatted with them...
Post #705666 6th May 2018 7:10pm
Gerry

United Kingdom 
Naf, sorry for the late reply.
From from firsting enquiring about the Turborebuild I have since fitted one and like you i too am well pleased with the quality but i know my existing remap isn't doing it any favours regarding lag at low revs, I hear the turbo spooling up faster but the extra performance really kicks in higher in the rev range, I've tried experimented with the wastegate to no avail so I'll get Jose (TD5Inside) to cure that on his next visit.
The whistle from the new turbo is also a nice addition.
Post #705730 7th May 2018 7:42am
Naf

Gerry,

Its cool, this is a forum. You have an upgraded Innercooler?

You are absolutely correct, you need to remap her from bottom to top.

I found that the turbo likes to be around 21psi, but you have to be careful, the new hybrid turbo doesnt like pressures above 22psi. I run 16.5psi normally, and when i press the button i get 21.5psi. I recently installed another type of chip box that plugs into the MAP sensor, just to see what would happens, but my clutch system decided to kick the bucket before i could try it out. I am hoping this weekend to see my gains.

May i also suggest an engine oil additive that for me has proven its self over and over again. Its called Microlon. Its a one time application where it helps coat and protect your moving parts from friction and heat. I used it on my boat, race car, and daily driver, and i saved on fuel mileage, and the acceleration is quicker. I also added their C90 to other areas like the diffs, gearbox, and transfercase. My transfercase is currently suffering from high heat at 130kph, i hit 250F. I now have swapped to an ATF fluid to see if that helps lower the temp,

Last edited by Naf on 9th May 2018 8:35am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #705733 7th May 2018 8:12am
Welshsurferdude

Wales 
Naf I see you are suffering from high transfer box heat, you can buy a bigger sump from ashcrorft or syncro to run more oil capacity and thus more cooling affect? 2008 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)

2015 Discovery 4.5 Black pack Firenze red XS

2008 Corris Grey 110 XS USW (sold)

2011 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)
Post #705739 7th May 2018 8:42am
Naf

I already have it installed with the roamer drive...

I was considering adding an external oil cooler with fan.
Post #705743 7th May 2018 8:57am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
I know I've read of people installing oil coolers for the lt230. Might not even need a fan of the rad is mounted in a good spot. I do believe that you need to pump the fluid yourself though, as the box isn't designed around having an external cooler?
Post #705749 7th May 2018 9:15am
Naf

I completely agree with you, that is why I have a external vdo gear oil pump that will be electricly driven as well as a fan will be activated once the pump is energized
Post #705755 7th May 2018 9:56am
Gerry

United Kingdom 
Yes Naf, I've fitted the AlliSport intercooler & silicon hoses to complete the uprated turbo upgrade.
I'm hoping Jose does the retweak on his next visit at a reduced price and I feel he will as he told one of the other guys he'd improve his remap next visit at no extra charge once he got a heavier duty clutch installed.
All understood on the Microlon additive and I'll be following that advice. Thumbs Up
Post #705779 7th May 2018 1:17pm
Naf

I bought a replacement clutch from Ben at clutchfix, only guy i would trust as he knows what type goes where. And dont be fooled by this whole dual mass crap. Its just comfort, no impact on the gears. Those are crap from the factory...
Post #705783 7th May 2018 1:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12