↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Another output shaft.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 18 <123 ... 111213 ... 161718>
Print this entire topic · 
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
I’ve only ever used a small amount of RTV sealer. 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #723556 15th Aug 2018 11:23am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
blackwolf wrote:
Grenadier wrote:
I wonder whether any cracking ... the G's associated with high rotational speed ...

No way would the wheels ever rotate fast enough for " the G's associated with high rotational speed" to be a factor. Any cracking of the weld would be due either to a poor weld in dissimilar alloys or due to the fact that the drive and retardation driveline loads are being taken by the weld not the splines (especially since the weld is likely to have been applied to well-worn splines).

The concept of "floating" halfshafts is irrelevant - the only reasons for making them in two pieces is to facilitate manufacture, it is cheaper and easier to do than to make single piece shafts. Any resultant movement is undesirable since it inevitably increases wear. As such one piece shafts have advantages in all situations, not just certain situations. How many HGVs do you seem with two-piece halfshafts?

If you took a set of brand new shafts and flanges, which were a good fit, and welded them with a really good full penetration weld (perhaps even J-prep or similar) I have little doubt that they'd be just as strong and durable as single piece shafts. A bush weld on a failed joint will never even come close.

I had mine done on shafts and flanges which had been lubricated well and showed little sign of wear.

I've done it before on well worn components badly welded by me and replaced with new after around 1000 miles.
Post #723569 15th Aug 2018 1:35pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
May I ask if the Ashcroft blue "cap" is made of Al or the like?

Thanks Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #723628 15th Aug 2018 6:46pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
It's steel
Post #723629 15th Aug 2018 6:55pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Thank you Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #723637 15th Aug 2018 7:12pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
The screw on housing is aluminium. The blue anodising will be to reduce corrosion of dissimilar metals, when it's screwed onto the steel coupling. Earlier housings were bare aluminium, not anodised, suggesting there may have been some issues.

In page 9 of this thread, the picture from the LRO article shows the bare aluminium part.
Post #723664 15th Aug 2018 9:21pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
the blur part is definitely aluminium.
Post #723673 15th Aug 2018 9:47pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I've been following this topic with interest as I've no doubt I'll be testing my aftermarket warranty with this problem eventually. There's certainly more overall transmission slop on my (27000 mile) 2014 110 van now than when it was new.

One vague thought I've had. Would motorcycle aerosol chain lube be any good on the splines prior to reassembly if not using the Ashcroft kit? It's really good at not being flung off (for obvious reasons) and is designed to work under high pressure in harsh environments.

Having just found a bit of red dust under the cap of my nearside front hub, I've squirted a load in there (and onto the other three) in case it helps a bit.

Straw-clutchingly yours...

JtP.
Post #723865 16th Aug 2018 7:48pm
Joe the Plumber

As a further thought, in photo 18 of the magazine's fitting guide from the Ashcroft site, it says you must make sure to note the distance from the inner face of the old drive cup to the end of the shaft and make sure the new cup sits the same distance out.

Surely when you re-tighten the securing bolt, this will push the cup down onto the shaft as far as it can go until the bolt is tight. Or am I misunderstanding something here?
Post #723867 16th Aug 2018 7:56pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think that that is because the retaining bolt isn't strong enough to pull the female part of the coupling into place and you are likely to shear the flange on the bolt if you try.
Post #723899 16th Aug 2018 10:41pm
zsd-puma

Joe the Plumber wrote:
I've been following this topic with interest as I've no doubt I'll be testing my aftermarket warranty with this problem eventually. There's certainly more overall transmission slop on my (27000 mile) 2014 110 van now than when it was new.

One vague thought I've had. Would motorcycle aerosol chain lube be any good on the splines prior to reassembly if not using the Ashcroft kit? It's really good at not being flung off (for obvious reasons) and is designed to work under high pressure in harsh environments.

Having just found a bit of red dust under the cap of my nearside front hub, I've squirted a load in there (and onto the other three) in case it helps a bit.

Straw-clutchingly yours...

JtP.

It might, but there are a whole number of thick sticky waterproof greases available. Thing it's expensive to try them to find out if they work.
Post #723900 16th Aug 2018 10:42pm
Joe the Plumber

Thanks chaps. As the retaining bolt is tightened to 133 ftlbs, I imagine it must be quite strong though?
Post #723933 17th Aug 2018 7:01am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The retaining bolt has an integral washer-like flange, and there are plenty of instances of the flange breaking off the bolt if an attempt is made to use the bolt to pull the parts together.

The WSM instructs that the female part of the coupling should be preheated to 100 degrees to expand it marginally before fitting, when it should slide on relatively easily. There is no mention of this in the magazine article where I note that they simply belt it on with a drift, a great approach if you don't like your mainshaft bearings very much. A lot will depend on how good a fit the new part is on the back of the mainshaft, it may go on easily, or it may be a struggle.

Similarly I note in the article that there is no mention of how they hold the mainshaft when removing the bolt in the first place. There is a (rather expensive) special tool for this, but most people seem to stick the box in gear and blast the nut out with an impact wrench. Again this doesn't seem to be a particularly good way to treat the gearbox, but it is clearly a widely-adopted technique.

Finally, also not done in the pages of the comic, the job is much easier if you remove the bolts holding the extension housing to the back of the gearbox, since this allows much better access to the parts you're trying to renew.
Post #723950 17th Aug 2018 9:22am
zsd-puma

My guess with the cup is if it's not driven home properly and it hangs up, you could torque the bolt up and the thing isn't actually fully home. You drive a few hundred miles and the vibration frees it all up and you're in for a big repair bill.
Post #723951 17th Aug 2018 9:24am
zsd-puma

Quote:
Similarly I note in the article that there is no mention of how they hold the mainshaft when removing the bolt in the first place. There is a (rather expensive) special tool for this, but most people seem to stick the box in gear and blast the nut out with an impact wrench. Again this doesn't seem to be a particularly good way to treat the gearbox, but it is clearly a widely-adopted technique.

It's probably no worse than the hammering it all gets from the slop in the drive train.
Post #723953 17th Aug 2018 9:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 12 of 18 <123 ... 111213 ... 161718>