↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Standard or HD Coil Springs.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sammyboy

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Sumatra Black
Standard or HD Coil Springs.
I want to tow a caravan with a Puma (possibly a 110 USW) without damaging the ‘A’ frame.

Having researched the LR sales brochure it suggests that all variants (CSW, USW and hard top) of the Puma (90 and 110) were fitted with standard coil springs when leaving the factory UNLESS the original owner requested stiffer HD springs be fitted.

Is this correct?

If this is not the case please clarify.

Cheers. Discovery 4 HSE
Defender 2.2 110 USW XS
Ford Kuga AWD
Discovery 3
Range Rover P38
Discovery - 300 TDI
Discovery - 200TDI
Post #653353 28th Sep 2017 10:52am
Culminator

I think that may be correct. Certainly the build spec of my 2012 90 states that HD springs were opted for as an upgrade. I have the HD springs spare if you want them as lowered the car last month...
Post #653383 28th Sep 2017 12:41pm
Hal

United Kingdom 
This thread may help you

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic5351.html

spring colours by spring type.
Post #653400 28th Sep 2017 2:26pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Sammyboy

This may help...as far as I know the 'standard springs' fitted to late MY Defenders

Click image to enlarge

My MY2011 90 listed on TOPIx (Land Rover Build Spec') as having HD Springs Fitted
and the Printed Sheet from the Dealer (when Sold) also lists HD Suspension...but NO
mine is Standard...

I Tow a Caravan...without issue, things to consider...(along with Towing Weight / Rear Springs)...is
the Height of Tow Ball required for your Van and how you get to this off the back end of a Defender.

Also for your 'non-damaging' point consider a Dixon Bate Shocklink,
(I don't use one, but those who do rate them)

Click image to enlarge

Good Luck... Thumbs Up SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #653410 28th Sep 2017 3:24pm
Sammyboy

Culminator - thanks for the offer but its the standard springs that I would want.

Hal - thanks for the link...... now a bit confused....... is it the HD springs alone that stiffen the suspension or is it a combination of springs and shocks?

So another question......Had all new Pumas (90 and 110) coming out of the factory got the same rear shocks or is there an option to have stiffer ones fitted?

Cheers. Discovery 4 HSE
Defender 2.2 110 USW XS
Ford Kuga AWD
Discovery 3
Range Rover P38
Discovery - 300 TDI
Discovery - 200TDI
Post #653414 28th Sep 2017 3:35pm
Sammyboy

X4SKP wrote:
Hello Sammyboy

This may help...as far as I know the 'standard springs' fitted to late MY Defenders

Click image to enlarge

My MY2011 90 listed on TOPIx (Land Rover Build Spec') as having HD Springs Fitted
and the Printed Sheet from the Dealer (when Sold) also lists HD Suspension...but NO
mine is Standard...

I Tow a Caravan...without issue, things to consider...(along with Towing Weight / Rear Springs)...is
the Height of Tow Ball required for your Van and how you get to this off the back end of a Defender.

Also for your 'non-damaging' point consider a Dixon Bate Shocklink,
(I don't use one, but those who do rate them)

Click image to enlarge

Good Luck... Thumbs Up

Thanks for the advice. I have been towing caravans for a few years and am quite knowledgeable about the weights, tow ball heights etc, etc. However, I would like to buy a Defender and amongst other things use it to tow my medium size caravan (1500kg) but my problem is that the caravan warranty states that it must not be towed by a 'commercial vehicle'. I considered a shock link but apparently they are not made anymore.
I have contacted my caravan dealer regarding what they classify as a 'commercial vehicle' because as you probably know all Pumas are classified 'N1' on the V5 for tax reasons not loading reasons. My caravan dealer has taken my concerns to the manufacturer who has contacted the chassis manufacturer (ALKO) for clarification. I am now awaiting a reply.

For info ALKO the caravan chassis manufacturer are the new owners of DB Towbars but have apparently stopped production of the Shocklink!!!

I hope their response is favourable to enable me to tow with a 90 or 110 but my preferred option would be a 110USW with standard shocks and springs. HD options would presumably be too stiff for the caravan?? Discovery 4 HSE
Defender 2.2 110 USW XS
Ford Kuga AWD
Discovery 3
Range Rover P38
Discovery - 300 TDI
Discovery - 200TDI
Post #653418 28th Sep 2017 3:53pm
Hal

United Kingdom 
Sammyboy

I think the only way to tell for sure what is fitted is to look at the springs (wipe the mud off...).

My 110 is an ex Land Rover owned vehicle, it's got the Warn winch and LR winch bumper and steering guard etc, but interestingly no locking wheelnuts. It's definitely not a "standard" build (and even less now I've had it for some years).

Basically I think that because they're defenders they're quite likely to have all sorts of different builds, even straight out of the factory, especially in the last few years.

So really you'll have to look to see what's fitted.
Post #653420 28th Sep 2017 3:59pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
USW and CSW have different springs at the back. USW springs are heavier-duty than CSW ones... see here
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic13312.html Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #653427 28th Sep 2017 4:20pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Sammyboy

I didn't know that ALKO now owns Dixon Bate (Bradley)...but that makes sense.

As you say your main issue is for the Caravan Manufacturer (Dealer / Suppler) to 'approve' that a Defender is OK
and it will not invalidate the warranty (for Chassis or general Body Structural Integrity).

I thought the Shocklink was a sucessful product for DB (all be it quite expensive)...it appears to be still available through ALKO (even more expensive)
http://www.al-ko.com/shop/uk_vt/shocklink-mark-ii-100kg.html

I get my bits and pieces from these guys (good service and better £ than most)
http://www.trailertech.co.uk/acatalog/Shoc...BA297.html

Our Van is 1200kgs (1500kgs or so when loaded) whilst we never had warranty issues as we bought it second hand, (it's a 2006 Eriba and was stored in a aircraft hanger for 6 years unused) we did check with our insurance company that the tow vehicle planned was acceptable. As you say the N1 (V5 DVLA) Classification can cause problems.

I don't know how this work for a Flat Bed Recovery Vehicle (Commercial Vehicle) towing our Caravan with the Defender on the back (off the road) if we ever broke down...I have this cover but just hope it is never needed.

As for the original question...Our Standard Springs work fine...they actually feel to 'settle' slightly when the Van is attached, and a potentially 'bobbley' ride is 'dampened out' with the nose weight of the Van attached.

If you get the OK for a Defender as a Tow Vehicle, at 1500kgs you will have no real issues at all.

Good Luck... Thumbs Up SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #653446 28th Sep 2017 5:44pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Sorry to hijack, but this is interesting in so far as I have always felt the ride in my MY16 hard top is firm, but always assumed it was just 'newness'!

So, from the coloured chart am I to assume (sorry if it's a dumb question) that the 2,550kg spring specs are heavy duty?

Mine are red, yellow, green on both sides at the rear Shocked

Assuming they are and given I do not tow or carry heavy loads should I replace the rear springs with 2,400kg items from utility or station wagon as they appear to be different?

Have always wanted to look at the build spec for mine but don't know how to find it . . . . . . . .

Thumbs Up Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #653449 28th Sep 2017 6:00pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
There was a recent discussion on here about the Shocklink and it was confirmed that Al-Ko has decided to discontinue it, which makes their website rather strange!

It is hard sofar to see any good that has come from the take-over of DB. Sad
Post #653456 28th Sep 2017 6:35pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
MartinK wrote:
USW and CSW have different springs at the back. USW springs are heavier-duty than CSW ones... see here
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic13312.html

Are they? I've just read the thread you've linked to and while yours might have been, mine seem no diferent to my friends CSW. Your's may have just had the HD ones fitted as either an option or a mistake by the factory. I don't think you can say it applies to all of them.
Post #653512 28th Sep 2017 9:28pm
Sammyboy

MartinK - thanks for the link. I agree with zsd-puma were the HD springs standard on that USW or did the initial customer specify HD springs when purchased. So the only way to determine what springs are fitted is to check for colour coding it seems.

X4SKP - thanks for your comments and links they were very useful. I have read it on this website regarding DB being bought out by ALKO and the Shocklink being discontinued (as confirmed by Blackwolf). If I ever get a response from ALKO/Lunar I will ensure whether any USW I buy will either have standard springs or fit a Shocklink (if available).

I will post any reply I get.

Still trying to confirm whether shocks fitted on production line were standard on all vehicles or whether there was an upgraded (stiffer) option? Discovery 4 HSE
Defender 2.2 110 USW XS
Ford Kuga AWD
Discovery 3
Range Rover P38
Discovery - 300 TDI
Discovery - 200TDI
Post #653564 29th Sep 2017 8:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1