↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Has the European view of British people changed?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
I work for a company based in the EU at present and on my visits to the head office I talk to people from across the EU. The majority understand the reasons for us leaving and are sympathetic to those reasons, there is more concern over the way the political EU will react.

Nobody I have spoken to in the EU wants the UK to have to put up trade barriers to the EU and that is their main concern. I've not come across anyone from an EU country that is hostile to the UK leaving, sadly that is not the case with some UK residents who have become hostile towards their own country, wishing it harm to justify their own inward looking EU view. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #650587 16th Sep 2017 11:16am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Bluest wrote:
I'm beginning to think that starting this thread was not the wisest thing. Laughing

Yep! 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #650603 16th Sep 2017 12:57pm
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black
Shouldn't we all be very grateful that we were not trying to live life 100 years ago.

Click image to enlarge

Seeing something like this puts it all into perspective.
Post #650612 16th Sep 2017 1:24pm
Lateralus

United States 
Muddybigdog wrote:
And Charlottesville was? Fake news?

Charlottesville happened and our media has been working overtime since the death of trayvon Martin to radicalized Americans and pit them against one another. You guys might think white nationalism was rampant in the US but it's not. Our news media, entertainment and politicians want to label anyone who disagrees with the establishment as a racist, homophobe, xenophobe etc. The Democratic party wants to resupply their voting base with poor immigrants who would find their party beneficial. It's an act of war on the American people. A growing number of the left see our constitution as a dated document written by evil men and they want to rewrite history and start a new system.

The West as a whole has many problems but there are millions of us in the US that believe in national sovereignty, regulated-smart immigration and individual rights. We stand with European people to maintain their laws and customs and hold their elected officials accountable for the riff raff they import. National sovereignty over global governance, individual freedom over collective mediocrity.
Post #650743 17th Sep 2017 1:10am
NickEJ

Slovenia 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Galway Green
Having lived in America for a number of years (and visited 35 States in that time) I would say that whilst Brexit has created some serious challenges for the UK they are dwarfed by the deep seated issues that beset the US.

On another note, when one talks to the locals here the most common refrain is that life was better under the communist regime!

I shall now don my tin hat.
Post #650875 17th Sep 2017 9:32pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
proloForêt wrote:
simon67 wrote:
Still they are cheese eating surrender monkeys

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide". The only two higher levels in France are "Surrender" and "Collaborate". The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralysing the country's military capability.

I could just call you and idiot but there is not reason too because your post illustrates this fact.

I take your style to answer, only to illustrate your idoicy though:

Odd you'd mention military capability while your navy is borrowing the crappy beds on our aircraft carriers at the moment and that our carriers have runways long enough for our jets, the jets that places like India (the ones that own the "British" icon Land Rover, oh well at least India used to be British) keep buying over the UK ones.

Not sure what the point of the British to sacrifice so much in the world war you are nostalgic about when all you do now is retreat and surrender things like all your companies to the same states that own your national debt. I guess state ownership is not so evil in the UK as long as it is another state that owns them. Funny how the Arabic and Asian countries have worked out not only how to own everything British but to actually use the British tax payers money to do it by charging the UK interest on the national debt it owes. I think it is safe to assume when you are at a stage where you spend more on interest payments to forigne owned debt than you do on education or healthcare then you certainly have surrendered.

Still, at least you have all that cultural "enrichment" your politicians speak all the time about. You know, because the culture was so bland before it needed all the others to come and fill the jobs at the companies now owned by their original countries....

But now you have fighted against that by leaving the EU to change your immigration despite most of it coming from outside the EU. Clever.

I love my Defender you know, I would love for it to be British but it is American and the parts I put on now Indian. This seems to have happened by retreat. You decide, at least you still have Caterham to call British...oh, no you don't....sorry gone to another ex colony (without a fight).

proloForêt, you have hit the nail on the head about the uk there. We have practically have nothing British now at all sadly, and i think a lot of older people on here will agree with me on this one, but it was all down to one woman, called thatcher. She destroyed all industrial we had!
sunderland was once the town/city that was famous for building ships, and we had a few mines too. I only vaguely remember the ship yards and that was only due to me only been about 3 years old at the time. If you came into sunderland back in the 80s early 90s you would have seen the full works. Now there isn't a trace at all of any ship building factories etc at all. Everything was practically pulled down or just left to rot.
The uk is practically dived sadly, North is poorer than the south, but that's due to lack of investment up here for some reason.
sad thing really about us is that we just don't have a backbone strong enough to say no to the government on a hell of a lot of things, but that's due to the working men and women holding very little water now due unions been practically stripped of their powers now. So politicians can just do what they want to suit them, what ever uk based company was sold off, no doubt the government got a few quid out of the sale, somewhere down the line!
What the country really needs is a massive clear out of all governments and something new place, budget's always seems to be cut on everything, but where is this money going that they are "saving?" in politicians pockets! its all corrupt really.
not about the working class families, its all about money! I think with the brexit thing stirred the pot as i think most of us just want our own industrial etc back, and dictate on how we should run the country. If there was ever another world war, I bet you, the uk would be Censored ! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #650904 18th Sep 2017 12:43am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I think the unions did their fair share in screwing the uk's industry's Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #650905 18th Sep 2017 12:48am
Procta

United Kingdom 
that would have been before i was born mk1collector, but then again, you get some jumped up arse that's a union rep and tries to push things to far. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #650907 18th Sep 2017 12:58am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Having been unionised once i can assure you that whilst in principle they are not a particularly bad idea, they are wholly populated by power crazed individuals with political agendas thet are no more for the betterment of the working masses than for the self fulfilment of the activists. Thatcher was weak, she should have destroyed the entire institutional structure. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #650914 18th Sep 2017 5:11am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
I think you're forgetting how bad it got, most countries had the same issues, for instance in 1974 Japan saw over 9000 strikes, involving circa 4M workers.

Also I really don't think Unions are the problem. 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #650921 18th Sep 2017 7:51am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I could probably write pages on this...it will not get anyone anyway.

I do like the corruption comments here, makes me chuckle - i dont think the system is corrupt not like many countries, mainly because the people in charge dont have the capacity to do it (im surprise some of them can get dressed in the morning) - what they are good at is playing the system and a tune most people dont even realise is in the background.

The UK certainly thinks its better than it is, thats wrong...its a shame to be leaving Europe (although when the EU throws their weight around i have moments of thinking im glad we are going!). Unfortunately there are a lot of people that blame the EU for things UK parliament do to us and can control even if its an inconvenient truth and say its the EU...then you go to Europe it doesn't impact those countries at all.

One fundamental thing, people in Europe are a lot free'er than we are are in the uk...unfortunately people dont see that or actually what we will loose.

However Brexit comes about and it will in some form (anyone else hate the term brexit)...one thing is for certain, no one will get what they want and we will all be screwed for it Mike
Post #651041 18th Sep 2017 4:50pm
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
mk1collector wrote:
I think the unions did their fair share in screwing the uk's industry's

I could'nt agree more. The likes of Scargill, and now McLuskey, like to dupe the comrades whilst lining their own pockets. Arthur's retired a wealthy man with a property portfolio providing him with a significant income. Len's on his way to do the same with his interest free, flat-buying loan ( if he cares about the comrades money, why did't he let Unite buy the flat and let him have it rent free? ). Very sneaky people, duping the workers out of their dosh whilst pretending to fight their corner.

As far as the OP's question, I'm in Italy, I've asked a few locals and turisti and I think we Brits are flattering ourselves thinking that everyone gives a toss about our Brexit.

Seen a few Defenders defending, but things move on.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #651094 18th Sep 2017 7:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123