↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Has the European view of British people changed?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Has the European view of British people changed?
One for the regular European travellers, or for non-UK members.

Since the UK's vote to leave the EU, have you noticed any change in the way our European friends treat us tourists? This was prompted by a bit of a rant at my wife by a local shop keeper in the village we stay in France. Nothing too bad, but he was making it clear that he thought us British were being somewhat xenophobic and it was a bad choice. Obviously, he is entitled to his view, but it would have been nice if he had asked our view on the vote before commencing his speech. Now, we travel to France a lot and this has only happened once, but just wondered whether anyone else had experienced something similar. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #650063 13th Sep 2017 1:03pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Doesn't matter - we can still look down on them. Twisted Evil
Post #650079 13th Sep 2017 1:55pm
simon67

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Still they are cheese eating surrender monkeys

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide". The only two higher levels in France are "Surrender" and "Collaborate". The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralysing the country's military capability.
Post #650085 13th Sep 2017 2:14pm
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
I was congratulated by a Venetian hotelier after the Brexit vote and he hoped Italy would follow us out. Similar attitude in Rome but it's mainly the older generation, young Italy could'nt give a monkey's about the UK.
I'm going over in a few days, I'll ask.
Post #650097 13th Sep 2017 3:22pm
NickEJ

Slovenia 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Galway Green
No one mentions it here. Plenty of other issues to worry about.
Post #650147 13th Sep 2017 7:42pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
When have the French ever liked us to be fair Neutral met a lot of Germans on holiday in Croatia this summer and there up for leaving as well Mr. Green
Post #650163 13th Sep 2017 9:00pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I believe there is some respect for that step, although maybe just within the older generation.

First, those of us who grew up with the Deutsche Mark, feel the Euro has doubled the prices of everything (certainly true with restaurants). So: respect/envy for your sticking to the Pound.

Second, talking of "Europe" you always mean Europe (as in European Union) excluding the UK - aka "the continent" Smile Even in this post's title Smile So, obviously you never felt/wanted being a part of it.

So, what will change? Wink
Post #650170 13th Sep 2017 9:21pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I'm not sure how else I could phrase it without listing every country individually. I certainly feel/felt part of Europe, travel there a lot, my family has two homes in France, I have relatives and friends in Spain and Italy.

Now does an average French or German person feel more European than average Brit, I've no idea. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #650173 13th Sep 2017 9:38pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
European unionism was never really going to work, there's far too much history in the way. Add in the unspoken desire of the founders to level the field of commerce and industry against the UK to prevent us from achieving our pre war dominance and it becomes inevitable that at some point it fails as an institution. The fact it became as corrupt as it has a long the way was also predictable. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #650211 14th Sep 2017 5:39am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Brexit hasn't changed my view how I look at British people. Some are against some are not. Some can discuss this subject in a civilized way, others not. Exactly the same as in every other European country. What a surprise! 😄
Post #650216 14th Sep 2017 7:14am
proloForêt

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
simon67 wrote:
Still they are cheese eating surrender monkeys

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide". The only two higher levels in France are "Surrender" and "Collaborate". The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralysing the country's military capability.

I could just call you and idiot but there is not reason too because your post illustrates this fact.

I take your style to answer, only to illustrate your idoicy though:

Odd you'd mention military capability while your navy is borrowing the crappy beds on our aircraft carriers at the moment and that our carriers have runways long enough for our jets, the jets that places like India (the ones that own the "British" icon Land Rover, oh well at least India used to be British) keep buying over the UK ones.

Not sure what the point of the British to sacrifice so much in the world war you are nostalgic about when all you do now is retreat and surrender things like all your companies to the same states that own your national debt. I guess state ownership is not so evil in the UK as long as it is another state that owns them. Funny how the Arabic and Asian countries have worked out not only how to own everything British but to actually use the British tax payers money to do it by charging the UK interest on the national debt it owes. I think it is safe to assume when you are at a stage where you spend more on interest payments to forigne owned debt than you do on education or healthcare then you certainly have surrendered.

Still, at least you have all that cultural "enrichment" your politicians speak all the time about. You know, because the culture was so bland before it needed all the others to come and fill the jobs at the companies now owned by their original countries....

But now you have fighted against that by leaving the EU to change your immigration despite most of it coming from outside the EU. Clever.

I love my Defender you know, I would love for it to be British but it is American and the parts I put on now Indian. This seems to have happened by retreat. You decide, at least you still have Caterham to call British...oh, no you don't....sorry gone to another ex colony (without a fight).
Post #650219 14th Sep 2017 7:37am
proloForêt

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Re: Has the European view of British people changed?
Bluest wrote:
One for the regular European travellers, or for non-UK members.

Since the UK's vote to leave the EU, have you noticed any change in the way our European friends treat us tourists? This was prompted by a bit of a rant at my wife by a local shop keeper in the village we stay in France. Nothing too bad, but he was making it clear that he thought us British were being somewhat xenophobic and it was a bad choice. Obviously, he is entitled to his view, but it would have been nice if he had asked our view on the vote before commencing his speech. Now, we travel to France a lot and this has only happened once, but just wondered whether anyone else had experienced something similar.

French can be passion when it is politics so do not take offence from the shop man.
I do not know of a French who has changed their mind on the British. I do not know many who do care much or in fact were suprised to discover the UK was a member of the EU in the first place. Many think it is your decision to make and won't change much at all between us unless some idiot politicians try to prove stupid points. Always we send you wine and always we listen to your music.
Post #650221 14th Sep 2017 7:54am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
proloFôret, you just made my day. Amusing piece of writing. ☺️
Post #650225 14th Sep 2017 8:32am
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
And mainland Europe want to form a Super-State with a super army to go with it, run by and consisting of French and German people who hate the English. What could possibly go wrong?

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by David T on 14th Sep 2017 12:39pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #650230 14th Sep 2017 9:22am
Thon

United Kingdom 
I've spoken to Swiss, Italians, French, Dutch, Germans and there is no consensus. One American colleague thought we had already left.
Some admire us, some believe us foolhardy, and all things in between.
My Italian family are pro-Brexit, mainly because they would/will be next in line to leave and bring back the Lira. They are all retired so that may have a bearing on their opinions.

proloForêt - I am interested as to why you believe your Defender is American though? Mine was built under Ford ownership but as far as I know there is no U.S content, even if it uses a Duratorq engine. Maybe I misunderstood?
Post #650232 14th Sep 2017 9:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>