↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > transfer box oil spec and capacity
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetsmith

if you drain the transfer box and then remover cover plate more oil will drain out Exclamation
Post #651464 20th Sep 2017 10:22am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think that there is simply an error in the Puma WSM in this case.

The Disco2 box has the same capacity, and the WSM for that states fill to the filler hole level.

The Puma box, which due to the tilt actually holds marginally less, has the warning.

Unless of course the warning that the hole isn't the lever actually means that you should fill the transfer box to a level ABOVE the hole!

I just fill mine until it runs out of the hole.
Post #651475 20th Sep 2017 10:51am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Quote:
Unless of course the warning that the hole isn't the level actually means that you should fill the transfer box to a level ABOVE the hole!

Exactly, i don't see the fuss here. If you put the specified amount in it will come up to the bottom of the filler hole anyway. So filling until it spills or just putting a measured amount in it's the same amount of oil either way. The only way to get more in would be to jack the back of the car up at about 45 degrees and fill the box up.

Quote:
the transfer box is positioned differently (leaning forward?)

It's tilted back. As the whole engine/transmission assembly is mounted nose up, to allow the axle to clear the bottom of the engine (they made a mistake with that on early Pumas too, they had to fit a revised sump!) If you think about it, the oil in the box will still try to remain level, which means the oil will run out of the filler hole slightly sooner, meaning a marginally lower oil capacity.
Post #651481 20th Sep 2017 11:10am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
dorsetsmith wrote:
if you drain the transfer box and then remover cover plate more oil will drain out Exclamation

If you drain the transfer box in the conventional way, then remove the transfer box from the vehicle, take it into your kitchen (because it is raining hard outside) and dismantle it completely for rebuilding, a surprising amount of oil will appear as though by magic on the kitchen floor. Experience suggests that this also tends to get you into considerable trouble with the Domestic Authority, even if you wait until she is out before doing so. The aroma and mess of the oil means that she will detect that you have been "up to something" with a perspicacity which is uncanny. Shocked
Post #651482 20th Sep 2017 11:27am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
zsd-puma wrote:
...If you put the specified amount in it will come up to the bottom of the filler hole anyway. So filling until it spills or just putting a measured amount in it's the same amount of oil either way.

Hello zsd-puma...have you actually done this, or seen this done... Question...'put a measured amount in the transfer box'

I didn't when I changed All Oils at 28K...

It would be interesting (for us anyway... Exclamation ) to see if anyone has actually measured the Oil Capacity required to fill the Transfer Box to the Filler Plug...

I'm only 6K past an All Olis change...(but have enough to check / re-new the Transfer Box)

So the next time I see...

Click image to enlarge

I'll use my D2N Inspired Oil Dispenser (Thumbs Up MartinK)...(Sorry MrsX4 Embarassed ) and check...

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html

Last edited by X4SKP on 20th Sep 2017 2:29pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #651491 20th Sep 2017 11:52am
dorsetsmith

blackwolf wrote:
dorsetsmith wrote:

If you drain the transfer box in the conventional way, then remove the transfer box from the vehicle, take it into your kitchen (because it is raining hard outside) and dismantle it completely for rebuilding, a surprising amount of oil will appear as though by magic on the kitchen floor. Experience suggests that this also tends to get you into considerable trouble with the Domestic Authority, even if you wait until she is out before doing so. The aroma and mess of the oil means that she will detect that you have been "up to something" with a perspicacity which is uncanny. Shocked

Rolling with laughter Bow down
Post #651507 20th Sep 2017 1:34pm
zsd-puma

Quote:
Hello zed-puma...have you actually done this, or seen this done... Question...'put a measured amount in the transfer box'

It comes in 1ltr bottles with a (roughly) graduated sight gauge on the side of the bottles. When i filled mine to spill fill, it used two complete bottles and approx 1/3rd of the 3rd bottle. Allowing for residue left in the syringe and the spillage from the filler this is as near as damn it the capacity quoted for the transfer box.

So again just fill it until it runs out of the filler hole..... Rolling Eyes
Post #651516 20th Sep 2017 2:16pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Thanks zsd-puma (sorry for the mis-spelling)

I had only seen the TB Fill instructions (until now) described as 'Fill to Filler'
and currently I think you (and others) are right, this is the way to do it...

Either way... next time round i'll measure what goes in until it 'Spills'... Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #651520 20th Sep 2017 2:42pm
Milmur64

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
My 2015 Defender has clocked 13,800 mikes over the past couple of years and I have just changed the gear and transfer box oils today. Followed the advice re: gear box and measured exactly 2.2 litres including circa 10 ml for residue left in pressure vessel.

When I changed the transfer box oil I measured the oil that came out. When I first took the filler plug out it literally poured out which took me by surprise which suggested it was overfilled but how this was achieved is beyond me. The approximate quantity of waste oil collected was 2.5/6 litres. When I came to fill the box it took 2.6 litres until it over flowed from the filler plug? Everyone appears to quote circa 2.3/2.4 litres so I was concerned at the amount of oil required to reach the bottom of the filler plug. Obvious question is have I over filled it and will this potentially cause me a problem? Easy enough to rectify - any advice would be appreciated.
Post #658254 18th Oct 2017 9:24pm
zsd-puma

Was the vehicle parked on level ground when you filled it?
Post #658322 19th Oct 2017 9:23am
Milmur64

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Yes it was - the other information was I have just had the LR
24k or 2 year service and the Service record showed
topped up Transfer Box oil so maybe dealer tipped the vehicle
forward to level out the known tilt of engine?
Post #658325 19th Oct 2017 9:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12