↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 222 of 265 <123 ... 221222223 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Exactly right Eric. The decline started post war, when there was no cash and many of the factories had changed from producing cars to planes, and then it was ruined by the Unions in the 70s (JLR included). Never recovered since. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #680327 21st Jan 2018 9:21am
leeds

United Kingdom 
One of the biggest problems in the UK is the consumer demanding lower and lower prices. Lower prices can be achieved several different ways. Increase in productivity, lower profit margins, cheaper labour costs or lower quality.

UK will struggle with lower labour costs but lower quality?

In this area I have choice of powder coaters, one will bead blast, primer then top coat. The other will just top coat and is cheaper. Guess what has happen to quality but a large proportion of UK people want cheaper price.

The first 2 questions I tend to get is what is the price, what discount do I get. Rather then the Germanic way of checking out specification etc first.

Brendan
Post #680352 21st Jan 2018 11:10am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Sorry, but I need to vent !!!!

I experienced the WORST customer service last night at a shop near me, I don't want to mention the name of the store because I'm not in the habit of publicly trashing people or business' (Even if they DO deserve it).

Thursday afternoon I bought something from this store. I paid cash for it. I took it home and found out it didn't work. So last night less than 24 hours later I took it back to the shop and asked if I could get a refund. The girl in the shop told me NO even though I still had the receipt. I asked if I could get a FREE replacement instead then.

Again this person told me "NO." I asked to talk to a manager now as I’m really not happy and I explained that I had just bought the item had got it home and it didn't work. The manager just smiled and told me to my face that I was "OUT OF LUCK." No refund. No FREE replacement. Grrrrrrrrr. Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head

I'll tell you what...I am NEVER buying another lottery ticket from them.
Post #680953 23rd Jan 2018 12:09am
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Rolling with laughter
This is a Grumpy thread!!! 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #680959 23rd Jan 2018 2:19am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
leeds wrote:
Sorry, but I need to vent !!!!

I'll tell you what...I am NEVER buying another lottery ticket from them.

Have to agree, I think I went to a similar store and after buying a Lottery ticket that did not contain the winning numbers I went back to return and exchange it for one that did contain the winning numbers, and was shocked and upset that they would not grant my request. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #681099 23rd Jan 2018 5:11pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Actually, they will.

Ask and they will print out the winning numbers from a previous draw.

Obviously, no good in making money unless you have invented time travel.

The National Lottery. A Tax on dreaming Rolling Eyes
Post #681110 23rd Jan 2018 5:50pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Craft Beers. I love em. Closest thing I can find in France to Real Ale. A bottle of Axe Edge does wonders for the soul. However, why do the bottles froth up and flood everywhere after the first sip? Almost every brand, almost every time. Pale Ale wasted. Never happens with lager (from observation only, never drink the stuff. Ahem Whistle ). There must be some card-holding, beard sporting, sandal wearing, home brewing CAMRA member who can tell me why? I hate wasting it Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #681389 24th Jan 2018 6:40pm
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black
There was recently a programme on tv about a couple leaving London to start a new life brewing beer. They had the same issue with their first batch and rejected it. I think issue was described asover fermentation.
Post #681428 24th Jan 2018 8:04pm
Maris Widgeon

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
We grow malting barley on the farm where I work , and we sometimes have batches of grain not meet specification for beer production because it is too high in protein which causes gushing, which sounds like the issue that you are experiencing.
All our cereals are grown organically,so no artificial fertilisers (which can affect the protien levels), so I guess that it is quite a subtle difference to prevent said "gushing ".

Nick.
Post #681463 24th Jan 2018 9:36pm
Rashers

Non-technical answer, pour the ale into a glass, don't drink out of the bottle.

Lager is swigged from bottles, ale is to be savoured from the glass (some CAMRA card holding, beard sporting, sandal wearing home brewing persons may choose a mug, rather than glass?). Obviously, personal choice.

On a side from this, the annual Norwich Beer Festival is always run in the half term school holidays between the Summer and Christmas holiday. This is not so the school children of the area can go get a skin full at the beer festival, but that there has always been a large proportion of CAMRA card holding, beard sporting, sandal wearing home brewing person are Teachers. Plus when you get twelve weeks holiday per year, sacrificing one to help at a Beer Festival is not so much of a sacrifice than if you only get 4 or 5?
Post #681474 24th Jan 2018 9:54pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Rashers wrote:

The National Lottery. A Tax on dreaming Rolling Eyes

A tax? how did you work that out? buying a ticket isn't law, nor is it state run, so how can it be a tax? Rolling Eyes
Post #681553 25th Jan 2018 9:01am
Rashers

There’s no law saying you have to earn money so income tax is optional.

I’m off to dig my garden and live in ‘The Goode Life’ way.
Post #681555 25th Jan 2018 9:05am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
English ale should never be drunk from a bottle. It should be poured into a glass or tankard and allowed to sit for a few seconds before drinking.

(From a bearded, CamRA card holding person who does own a pair of sandals but no longer brews his own) 
Post #681575 25th Jan 2018 12:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
What is the average mental age of farce book (sorry facebook) users?

Now I understand that people have different levels of competence in the use of the written English language.

Yes I can understand people misspelling brake as break. No for know though ??

Also the use of bad language and personal insults is beyond the pale with some users.

Now I understand that some people are dyslexic and others suffer from mental issues which means they have difficulties not using foul language.

Have just seen a 'technical' discussion which landed up being "I am RIGHT, YOU ARE WRONG!"

Sounds like a primary school playground 'discussion' which is the right mental age for a lot of farcebook users!

As for ebay users I think the average mental age is about lower secondary school age with comments like I didn't mean to buy that.

This is from someone educated at a secondary modern school (for those of you old enough to remember them!)

Brendan
Post #682268 28th Jan 2018 12:58pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Maybe too many pupils are playing with farcebook below the desk rather than following the English lesson on the desk.....? 
Post #682273 28th Jan 2018 1:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 222 of 265 <123 ... 221222223 ... 263264265>