↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 221 of 265 <123 ... 220221222 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
Bps

United Kingdom 
The constant reporting on all types of media of “what if” , not what’s actually happened Banging Head

Also people’s inability to not be offended by absolutely anything that they believe is even ever so slightly different to their view and the resulting online campaign to overturn or discredit. We can no longer agree to disagree or respect opinions other than our own
Post #679516 17th Jan 2018 11:09pm
Bps

United Kingdom 
Except on def2 Thumbs Up
Post #679517 17th Jan 2018 11:10pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
The UK constantly moaning about and being incapable of managing an inch of snow. This is the snow we’ve had this year Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Humble-brag over, I’m off skiing. Woo hoo... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #680178 20th Jan 2018 4:22pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
If we had that much snow in the U.K,
We would never recover from it.... Rolling with laughter 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #680181 20th Jan 2018 4:35pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Ah! Yes! we might not have the amount of snow as others do. However, we have what is called 'the wrong type of snow'. So much more dangerous, so much so that just an inch of this 'wrong type of snow' can disable all transport in the UK. Whistle For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #680206 20th Jan 2018 5:41pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
At least this guy knows how to get about! Laughing

80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #680208 20th Jan 2018 5:48pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
That is a professional driver. What a class act!

We (as in the UK) pay professional drivers like bus, coach and truck drivers a pretty poor salary in general for a job that at times can need enormous amounts of skill and long hours.

On the other hand, we pay our train drivers (sorry if there are any on here) three times their salary. A train doesn't need steering, is physically kept apart from other trains by the tracks, and the drivers very rarely need to manage their paying customers (the one's that turn up every morning with a twenty pound note for a £2.60 fare).

Not knocking the train drivers, their job requires skill, but why the difference?

We have a national shortage of HGV drivers in this country. I can't imagine why? Rolling Eyes
Post #680226 20th Jan 2018 6:26pm
Grenadier

A Tube driver’s basic starting salary is that of a mid-grade Army major who during non-operational periods will be responsible for 100+ soldiers’ pay, careers, training, welfare, futures on a month-by-month basis. During operations he/she will responsible for all of the above, plus tactical/operational decisions that will potentially cost lives or at the very least risk serious, life changing injuries. In addition to the 100+ members of the company will be as many as 40 ‘attached elements’ also under their wing. To achieve this experience as a regular officer will require passing the Regular Commissions Board, spending 12 months at Sandhurst, between 6-18 months of special-to-arm training, plus 8-10 years of service before attempting (and passing) Junior Staff College. If you’re a Late Entry Major you’ll “only” have to have done 25 years of service in all theatres and passed Junior and Senior NCO Cadres, plus attained a WO1 commission, arguably (in terms of numbers vs applicants) the toughest commission to attain in UK Armed Forces. Then you pass a another Board, head to Sandhurst for more training and do more graft.

Tube driver’s pay and remember this was basic pay, (full pay plus bonuses translates to a full Colonel who only commands 1000 troops) is a f%@&*ng joke. But then soldiers can’t strike over Christmas and ruin the public’s seasonal revelry and shopping Big Cry

Unions..... Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #680252 20th Jan 2018 7:29pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Quote:

Thanks to the unions' multi-year deal with London Underground, keeping pay above inflation, a newly-qualified tube driver starts on a salary of £49,673 a year. This can rise after five years to anything between £50,000 to £60,000. The drivers get £24,133 at the start of their training period rising to £30,166 after completing initial assessments - with their starting salary, on completion of their 12-16 week training, rising to £49,673.

Their starting salary easily dwarfs the starting salaries for workers in other sectors - like health and education. They can earn more than some hospital doctors. Meanwhile, the average salary for the British worker is £26,500.

Taken from HERE

Interesting graph showing different starting salaries of other professions.

For comparison army salaries are HERE

Brendan
Post #680257 20th Jan 2018 7:41pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
No wonder the drivers and the unions are messing themselves everytime TFL mentions automated tube trains?
Post #680261 20th Jan 2018 7:53pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Why can't people do some very basic research.

Why can't people count up to 10?

What are the seven venial sins?

1 Gula (gluttony)
2 Luxuria/Fornicatio (lust, fornication)
3 Avaritia (avarice/greed)
4 Superbia (pride, hubris)
5 Tristitia (sorrow/despair/despondency)
6 Ira (wrath)
7 Vanagloria (vainglory)
8 Acedia (sloth)

Now when has 7 meant 8? or 8 meant 7? Banging Head

Or is the inability to count, counteracts against one of the sins?

Brendan
Post #680290 20th Jan 2018 10:15pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
3 and 5 seem rather appropriate to the liberal brigade currently both here and the other side the pond right now. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

And as for the £26,500 salaries being average, I don't appear to know many average people on that.
Either that or I'm missing something, where on earth do they get these figures from?

Mean figures, not a true representation of actual real world statistics and real life situations.
Artificially inflated in other words.

I do however, believe manufacturing is up which cans only be seen as an excellent thing!
We do however, need a bit more of a better final finish of workmanship like the Germans do.

Lots more possible in the country yet! Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #680304 21st Jan 2018 12:26am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
leeds wrote:
Why can't people do some very basic research.

Why can't people count up to 10?

What are the seven venial sins?

1 Gula (gluttony)
2 Luxuria/Fornicatio (lust, fornication)
3 Avaritia (avarice/greed)
4 Superbia (pride, hubris)
5 Tristitia (sorrow/despair/despondency)
6 Ira (wrath)
7 Vanagloria (vainglory)
8 Acedia (sloth)

Now when has 7 meant 8? or 8 meant 7? Banging Head

They aren't the seven venial sins. They're the Greek eight evil thoughts from which the seven deadly sins were eventually derived. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #680305 21st Jan 2018 12:36am
Grenadier

custom90steve wrote:

I do however, believe manufacturing is up which cans only be seen as an excellent thing!
We do however, need a bit more of a better final finish of workmanship like the Germans do.

Lots more possible in the country yet!

Never understand where our manufacturing standards have gone. The country which introduced Bentley and RR cars, has Saville Row and Jermyn street for the best tailoring, creates some of the world's best furniture, the finest leather goods, brought Purdey guns to the world. Has some of the best artists, best designers, best scientists, and when you look at F1, the best car engineers. And even those that don't make it to F1 often fill the design teams of foreign car brands. We have Some of the world's top architects, best hotels, finest stately homes. And we have the Guards.

All of the above over the years have shown a world leading attention to detail, finish and class leading engineering. If you wanted the best gun, you bought Purdey, the best car you went to Rolls, the best suit required a walk down Saville Row, but this used to trickle down to smaller less expensive tradesmen and women, but the world still looked at the British as being where you went for the 'Best'. Now just these very top, very nice and very expensive firms offer this and our mass industry still lags behind our German cousins. New G Wagen is a case in point. JLR have the skills to have made the same effort and paid the same attention to detail creating the new Def, to be absolutely 21c yet look original, but I don't think there's much expectation on our part that it will be. Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #680316 21st Jan 2018 7:43am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Not all English engineering and manufacturing is top class standard. That includes LR in the past, but I think also still today. Go take a browse on Martin's D5 forum. Shocked By the way, I know from our local TCS (Touring Club Suisse) that they have one car brand which excels by breaking down for numerous reasons and which need to be towed back to the dealer for repairs on a daily basis. That is JLR, and especially todays Discos and various Range Rovers. No wonder that few people here keep their JLR cars beyond the 6 years max warranty period.
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #680324 21st Jan 2018 8:14am
Post Reply  Back to top