↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 223 of 265 <123 ... 222223224 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
Slideywindows

England 
My wife used to do supply teaching in primary schools.

The staff notices in the common-room displayed the fact that even the teachers could not spell accurately.

What chance the children.......?

Facebook does appear to be accelerating the rush to the bottom.

Fortunately, I may not be around when they find where the bottom actually is - and whether they like it!
Post #682352 28th Jan 2018 7:05pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Spelling (or the poor teaching of) is nothing new. As I have said before on here, my Dad was a printer. A compositor to be precise. One of those jobs that requires good spelling. Google it, if you have no idea what one does. It's one of those jobs which has been killed off by technology.

I came home from school when I was about 9 (late 1970's) with 12 words to learn for a spelling test. I returned the sheet, from my Dad, the next day with two of the words corrected for the teacher.

I moved on to high school. Luckily (for me) my Dad always worked late on a Thursday to get the weekly papers out. This was the night of all our schools parent - teacher evenings. One time he was on holiday. He booked to see the English Teacher to express his concern at my iffy spelling. The Teacher said that they weren't too concerned about spelling, just the creativity in the children's writing. I am a disappointment (in spelling terms) to my Father. His willingness to poke a stick at my Teachers probably didn't do me any favours Rolling Eyes I failed my English Language O Level twice, and my English Literature O Level once.

I am still a poor speller. But then my Dad is a rubbish electrician. Horses for courses, but now at nearly fifty years old, I have lost the ability to write in joined up writing (yes, I'm fine with block capitols) and rely on a spell checker. My spelling on here has been highlighted a couple of times by others who can. Sorry!
My Niece corresponds with us via emojis Mr. Green yes guilty of that on here Whistle

No one these days seems bothered by English spelling and grammar. That is in book, very sad.
Post #682364 28th Jan 2018 7:42pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I've always loved the English language.
I'm really saddened by what I see today.
Radio and television news readers used to use the 'Queen's English', something now forgotten by the Queen herself. Sad 
Post #682370 28th Jan 2018 8:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Slideywindows wrote:
My wife used to do supply teaching in primary schools.

The staff notices in the common-room displayed the fact that even the teachers could not spell accurately.

What chance the children.......?

Facebook does appear to be accelerating the rush to the bottom.

Fortunately, I may not be around when they find where the bottom actually is - and whether they like it!

I accept that some people don't have the education or innate ability to spell well, but given the 21c reliance on tech, why can't they use the bloody spell check, if only for one of the most important documents they will ever write, their CV. See so many with little or no effort paid, yet would have taken just a minute on spell check. What's particularly worrying is the number who include a degree under 'education' Shocked Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #682466 28th Jan 2018 10:09pm
LiftedDisco

Even more concerning was the chap who mis-spelled ‘professional’, putting 2 x f’s and only one s when talking about his ‘proffesional qualifications’

It was a ‘no’ from me...
Post #682493 28th Jan 2018 10:47pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
What is going on is it Brexit or something more sinister

The shortage of the nation’s favourite finger-licking' chicken has left vast swathes of Britain in despair.

Owing to the importance of this story moved to off-topic on the main forum Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1

Last edited by gilarion on 20th Feb 2018 4:30pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #687824 20th Feb 2018 4:06pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Absolutely brilliant, gilarion Rolling with laughter
Post #687826 20th Feb 2018 4:13pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Geneva airport Crying or Very sad I thought Heathrow was bad but it always seems a surprise here that there are lots of flights = lots of people needing to get through security.
Post #688728 25th Feb 2018 9:47am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Geneva airport during feb halfterm has to be one the most crowded and mental places on the planet. Football matches in the 80's were more civilised.
Post #688729 25th Feb 2018 9:52am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Laurie wrote:
Radio and television news readers used to use the 'Queen's English', something now forgotten by the Queen herself. Sad

Language evolves old boy Rolling with laughter
Post #688782 25th Feb 2018 2:38pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
shropshiredefender wrote:
Laurie wrote:

Language evolves old boy Rolling with laughter

By pure laziness. 
Post #688875 25th Feb 2018 9:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Huttopia wrote:
Geneva airport Crying or Very sad I thought Heathrow was bad but it always seems a surprise here that there are lots of flights = lots of people needing to get through security.

Miserable little airport; queues everywhere, bolshy security, fascist Border guards, little or no space, lack of seating compared to user-numbers and wildly inflated prices for almost everything. No extra services put on during peak seasons (such as Feb half term). Sadly it's now our main hub airport. Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #688942 26th Feb 2018 7:43am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Laurie wrote:

I agree - I wouldn't want to go back to the days of RP and everyone talking with a plum in their mouth. Regional accents and dialect are just fine but there is no place for slang and bone idleness.
I can spell and, at school, I was appointed Assistant Chief Constable of the Grammar Police. The children would often ask if they could go toilet - to which my stock reply was No dear, you may go potty but no-one can ever go toilet.
But then there were even members of staff that dropped the 'to' from speech. I had no qualms at correcting them as well.
My daughter refuses to buy off ebay seller and websites with poor spelling - her view is, if they can't be bothered using a spell checker to ensure their adverts are correct, they probably won't be bothered about the quality and service they are offering.
Regards
Barbara
Post #689231 27th Feb 2018 10:59am
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
There is allegedy impending doom as we are plunged into a near Ice Age set of weather conditions.

We have had frozen white fluffy stuff falling from the sky but at most an inch.

Where are these snow drifts and complete chaos we have been promised.

I want to go and play in some snow!!! 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #689235 27th Feb 2018 11:13am
leeds

United Kingdom 
amazon!
Ok Amazon- I looked for something, I didn't buy it there and then, I didn't even put it in my basket in fact I went to another supplier and bought it from them at a much better price. So why must you keep sending me emails telling me about that and other similar items. Why can't I switch off the marketing emails? it is clogging up my spam folder.
Regards
Barbara
Post #689240 27th Feb 2018 11:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 223 of 265 <123 ... 222223224 ... 263264265>