↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 173 of 265 <123 ... 172173174 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Quote:
Then there is private schools that are using charity status too, why would or should any school private, state or either be charities?

Many state schools can claim charitable status, this enables them to claim back any VAT they pay on school supplies and equipment, this can help underfundeded state schools in many ways .

However I do not think that fat cat fee paying public schools should be given this status, in fact there are many Public schools I would like to see abolished. The so called public school tie favouritism sought by many of the chinless wonders who went to these elitist establishments is to me an abomination that places all the people who went to state schools at a disadvantage in general life. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #580443 25th Nov 2016 5:51pm
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
What's wrong with a private education? I know many who have been educated, and have had their children educated, privately. Extremely intelligent, articulate, happy and, in many cases, successful people. Obviously there are many spoilt brats who don't benefit, but this applies equally to state schools, church schools, special-needs schools and "alternative" schools and merely proves that a moron is a moron whatever their social status.
I went to several state schools, all over the country, and I'd like to think I've done OK, as have many of my old state school buddies. One of the schools I went to was Churchmead in Datchet, fairly close to Eton. If anything, the games of rugby and football against the Posh lads inspired me in later life. Not just the fact that they had the cash but that they were all super confident, matey, smart and had what can only be described as a rigorous code of what was, and what was not, done.
I realise that the lefties and SJW's find this kind of thing an anathema but that's probably driven by envy. Often on social-media some weekend "activist" will put up a photo of the much hated Bullingdon Club with Cameron, Osborne and Johnson etc. posing in the uniforms. It would'nt occur to these lefties that the people (and the families of the people) in the photo have contributed massive amounts to the coffers, the military heritage and the social and industrial development of Britain.

Fortunately for me, when I was about 14yrs old, my parents decided to move to Harrogate in order to get me into a better class of borstal. The rest is history Thumbs Up
Post #580466 25th Nov 2016 7:24pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I switched from complicated Land Rovers (Disco 3+4 and RR) to Audi because I got fed up drinking dealership coffee whilst repairs were carried out under warranty. Bu**** me with a fish fork, I dropped the Audi in today for them to investigate a judder when stop / start kicks in and they said mmmm, it needs a replacement gearbox. Its all under warranty and yes the coffee tastes better (odd as all Listers group) but its the time and hassle that hacks me off, that and the awkward discussion with Mrs H after I'd made a compelling case to ditch the last Disco..... An A4 3.0 TDI Quattro needs a new gearbox at 31,000 miles, mostly made up of 25 mile round trips to and from school. Utter pants.
Post #580468 25th Nov 2016 7:28pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
'fat cat fee paying public schools'? What about folk who just work hard aren't fat (and don't even like cats) but make choices about how to spend the money they work for? On a forum for a classless vehicle surley we don't need a class war, perceived or real!
Post #580472 25th Nov 2016 7:36pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
No class discrimination as far as I am concerned, my only point was regarding charity status.
This country is far too tied up with class and status wars.
I'm quite prepared to treat everyone equally if they treat me the same. Thumbs Up

If state schools can do it too, that's just as bad.
But I haven't heard that they did until now?
Claiming VAT back and charity status isn't very different.

One is acceptable, the other is wanted tax avoidance.
Charity is meant to be non profit only. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #580478 25th Nov 2016 8:09pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
The private school my daughter goes to is not for profit, staff are generally paid less than in state sector, the trustees and governors are unpaid, they provide bursaries and fee assistance for children who don't have the but do have the drive, they provide assistance to local state schools. Hence it is a charity, but it can not recover VAT like the state schools and academies can.

However they do let the child be the child they are they have an ethos of nurture and respect and have an excellent music department with a very well respected Choir that she loves and that's why we are more than happy to pay the fees and our taxes.

Just one more of the joys of living in one of the most free counties in the world. 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #580504 25th Nov 2016 9:19pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
IMO.... Charity starts at home... MY home....

Mortgage, bills etc. Some gets given to Poppy appeal and blue cross. That's it... rest is mine!

/rant off/
Post #580510 25th Nov 2016 9:35pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Jim - Doeesnt FIFA say you're donating to a political organisation with the Poppy Appeal. Rolling Eyes

What idiots they are. (Fifa) Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 25th Nov 2016 10:13pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #580515 25th Nov 2016 9:54pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
FIFA? who the F are they? some bunch of twits who organise another bunch of twits who kick around a leather bag of wind around a field....

They have no relevance in my life Laughing
Post #580517 25th Nov 2016 10:10pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
gilarion wrote:
Quote:
Then there is private schools that are using charity status too, why would or should any school private, state or either be charities?

Many state schools can claim charitable status, this enables them to claim back any VAT they pay on school supplies and equipment, this can help underfundeded state schools in many ways .

However I do not think that fat cat fee paying public schools should be given this status, in fact there are many Public schools I would like to see abolished. The so called public school tie favouritism sought by many of the chinless wonders who went to these elitist establishments is to me an abomination that places all the people who went to state schools at a disadvantage in general life.

I was a chinless wonder. Didn't ask to be, but thankful for my parents' hard work allowing me the chance. As is my mate who has no legs after stepping on an IED. A top chinless wonder who went to the top chinless school of Eton. As for some of my other chinless wonder colleagues that I served alongside in the British Army, I don't know if they're thankful, they're no longer around to tell me. That's six of them, if you're interested. And here's one who was a young lieutenant in my company just before I left. Public school from the age of 5, Cambridge graduate, Grenadier Guards.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-35...liban.html

To help everyone read between the lines, to be doing what he did in Iraq against ISIS means he might be (ahem) serving with that sneaky regiment who like to wear black and were founded by that chinless wonder David Sterling during WWII. But if I told you who they are I'd have to kill you. Whistle . If he is, he'd be serving alongside another Grenadier colleague who's a Lord. Yes, a real one and he didn't use his tie to get in. Who'd have thought, the public school educated aristocracy at the forefront of British military actions in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Class chips are an awful, poisonous thing. Take the man, (or woman), for who he is, Not what he sounds like, what school he went to or any other sweeping generalisation. One of my Guardsmen chose not to. Broken home, grew up dealing drugs in a sink estate in Manchester, contestant trouble with the police, left school at 14, broken nose eight times, covered in tattoos, brother in prison for armed robbery, mother on incapacity benefit for smoking too much, sister a single mum by 15. Channel 4 could make a documentary on him. But he invited me to his wedding, in a social club, on the day Man U won the premiership so most people were wearing Devils tops rather than suits. But I was honoured as we could not have been more different. We have been great friends since because it's about who we ARE not wher we came from. He could easily have assumed that the posh chinless wonder wouldn't be worth thinking about, and I the same of the 'yob', but we didn't and I like to think I never would. But it gets my goat when people do, without getting to know me or my 'chums' (that's what we chinless wonders call our mates), and go for the same old cliches.

Trust me, I've met many, (and excusing my French as it needs to be said) many c**ts in my life, but there is frankly no difference if you're a yob c**t or a posh c**t. You either are or aren't. Likewise a liar, a thief, an adulterer etc etc. The only difference is one might favour trainers the other suede loafers. On the other hand there are many generous, loving, kind, intelligent, funny etc people from both ends of the spectrum. If you take the time to look past the cliches. Indeed my wife's parents are solid working class Bristolians, but does that come between us? No. I love them, and their daughter (for whom they worked their fingers to the bone to send to a private school), for who they are end of story. Their accents, clothes, education or anything else I could pick on has nothing to do with it.

So it's entirely up to you what you do, but perhaps try and get to know someone first before judging them, especially if that's because of their schooling which first you must accept they didn't choose and second, like it or not, offers a much better, much more rounded education that the state can currently offer. (Don't believe the liberal elite's hype that it doesn't. It does. What's more, charitable status or not, public/private school educations save the tax payer a fortune). So how can you fault someone because they have been well educated, isn't that what we'd all wish for for our children, our country's next generation? Crticise successive governments and blame them for f***ing up the state system, not for those who choose to take their kids out of it.

So there we are, said my piece. I hate bigotry of any kind, more so if it is based on myth or untruths. There are chinless wonders out there, as there are oiks, but it doesn't mean they're not great people. If we ever meet, feel free to think I'm an a***hole, no skin off my nose. But do it because I'm just that and not because of what I sound like or because I first meet you in suede loafers. And as far as I'm concerned, I will always be happy to meet you or any forum member (The Defender's greatest attribute is its classlessness) whether you're black, white, rich or poor, privately or non educated, bright or thick, live in a council house or Manor House etc etc. As long as you're a good egg (another favourite posh-ism), that's all that matters.

Sorry for the rant, but it's so tedious having to defend ultimately my parents, for having worked hard (admirable) to get me into a good school (admirable) and be given the best chance in life (admirable) and allow me to follow my only goal as a child and join the Army (admirable) that allowed my to serve my country, cap badged by one of the great regiments, in war (chinless or admirable?) Thumbs Up

Here are my shoes:

Click image to enlarge

And these are my other suede shoes that went to war on behalf of all Brits, from oik to chinless. Not many 'normal' folk or of course chinless wonders, have done or seen as much as those boots.

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey

Last edited by Grenadier on 26th Nov 2016 11:31am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #580553 26th Nov 2016 10:17am
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
⬆️👍🏻
Post #580554 26th Nov 2016 10:33am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Bloody well said.
Post #580568 26th Nov 2016 12:35pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I quite agree there is good and bad in all walks.
I do believe respect for the fellow man however, is in decline across the board. (Maybe just where I live!)
There is a lot of snobbery in my area, however, that is not down to money, class, politics etc but purely down to self importance.
In the forces I have every respect for anyone who puts there life on the line to protect others on the front line.
Whoever they are, they deserve it.

I know of three people who have worked in a Royal organisation for most of their lives, two are the nicest you could ever meet one of which I've known all of my life.
The 3rd is a complete snobbery - riddled idiot, so it does indeed go to show you cannot judge a book by its cover.
That's the philosophy I live by, unfortunately there will always be one though!

I think that is just something people will have to live with.

It annoys me also to think of what people in the forces have gone through, they get back home (not all do.) some traumatised from it.
Most of them have no govt support at all even if they need it and pretty much told to get on their bike and get on with it. Rolling Eyes
Then there are those in Politics that like letting in all in sundry into this country like the IS people and associates being "goody goody" people and the next thing people are blown up here.
Then there was atrocities like the Lee Rigby murder.

But regarding your time served - much respect. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #580586 26th Nov 2016 4:13pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
...and the thread got all serious again.

So what now, the great illuminati conspiracy and masonic world domination?

Personally I can't stand beetroot, dried dates, prunes, figs [he says having just planted a fig tree] and Turkish Delight. I can just about tolerate marzipan icing and those funny almond flavoured sweets these days but sugar in tea and coffee is a no no Confused Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #580601 26th Nov 2016 5:27pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You can't expect happiness in this thread though can you. Confused Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #580605 26th Nov 2016 5:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 173 of 265 <123 ... 172173174 ... 263264265>