↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 172 of 265 <123 ... 171172173 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Sorry to be such a grumpy old fart but with Children in Need "raising" 46million what's the message that all the scammers, con men, government, retailers, local councils and other money grabbing ba**ards in this country are given? Ordinary people have still got too much money!
A lot of these people have felt pressed to fork out "all in the name of charity", yes, there are some really good works being done for the kids in this country but isn't that what our Social Services are supposed to be doing anyway?
There are more than enough big cats lining their pockets through their charity work and they're really the only ones to benefit from the good natured British public.
Post #578938 19th Nov 2016 1:41pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
What I don't like is the Auction Chris Evans does when people pay huge amounts for things, think this year someone paid 1m for Take That to play a private gig for them. I reckon that a lot of these are put through companies and therefore deductible from corporation tax.
I maybe a grumpy old git but I feel that if you have money that you want to donate to charity then fair enough - donate it but don't expect anything back in return (I exclude poppies from this) The feeling that you might just have made a bit of a difference should be reward enough.
Barbara
Post #578947 19th Nov 2016 2:46pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I'm no fan of Take That, but I bet a spotty faced girl kid bid all they have... 16.25 and a few marbles to see TT close up.

Meanwhile the million paid would have been a fraction of their wealth and only did it for bragging rights.

Chris Evans auction is for his fellow millionaires, not the real fans.
Post #578958 19th Nov 2016 4:18pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
JWL wrote:
Sorry to be such a grumpy old fart but with Children in Need "raising" 46million what's the message that all the scammers, con men, government, retailers, local councils and other money grabbing ba**ards in this country are given? Ordinary people have still got too much money!
A lot of these people have felt pressed to fork out "all in the name of charity", yes, there are some really good works being done for the kids in this country but isn't that what our Social Services are supposed to be doing anyway?
There are more than enough big cats lining their pockets through their charity work and they're really the only ones to benefit from the good natured British public.

Not sure I agree JWL. I haven't watched CIN for some years now, but unless things have changed massively I always seem to remember that the vast majority of the money raised came from large corporations. 100k from BT, 250k from Virgin etc etc, not individual donations. As such, whilst 46m equates to roughly 1 per head for everybody in the country over 16, the reality of who actually puts their hands in their pockets is far less. I'd be interested to know if the BBC has data on numbers of calls/texts/donations rather than total amount. I bet you it would be a surprisingly small percentage. I try some sort of charity event each year, yet never do all my contacts give money. This year I raised 3k for UNICEF, but the number of people giving me cash was less than half those I contacted. i.e. fewer people, larger amounts. Simply put, there are those that give and those that don't, whatever the reasons may be.

If anything allows the conmen and scammers to see the GBP have money, they only need to see the amount spent on the Euromilions (1bn of ticket sales are required for a 100m jackpot), pop into Currys and watch people buying electronic goods this Black Friday, pop into any coffee shop and see how many people have tablets and 700 smart phones and take a wander down Oxford Street in the run up to Christmas. No doubt many people are genuinely suffering, but I am no longer surprised each time I head back to the UK to see the same people who on the one hand moan about 'times being tight' yet conveniently forget it when they head out shopping on a Saturday morning. No doubt spending the proceeds of the money they received for PPI which they claim they never needed nor asked for.

I do agree that the heads of many charities are vastly over paid, (as are many council leaders, union leaders and other apparently public sector leaders which I think is worse as you can choose to give/not give to charity, but public sector pay is 'our money'), but I think they and the councils, BBC etc are more than aware that by no means everybody gives to Charity and that the large donations, (whether for kudos, PR or tax avoidance), plus the General public's annual subscriptions, is where their bread and butter comes from. As such the 46m is a drop in the ocean when compared to the Social Welfare budget which last year was 230bn yet never seems to be enough. (btw this doesn't include tax credits or benefits, just child protection etc).

And whilst I agree with Barbara's sentiments that giving to charity should be for the betterment of everyone but yourself, but if the tax deduction wasn't offered many big brands might not donate, sad though that is. The donation is taken from the total business profits before tax is paid. As such, if BT gives 100k to CIN, the Exchequer will lose 20% corporation tax on that 100k. So is it better that 100k is donated to the wider charity pot for the benefit of a few or that the Chancellor gets 20k to spread amongst the entire population? Personally I think the former.....

And anyone who pays 1m for Take That is just stupid. Not that I wouldn't pay a million bucks for something if I could afford it, but take that? But actually if it makes his ego inflate who cares as long as the bulk of that cash goes to a good cause. Knowing Gazza Barlow, he'd do the go for free, so let's hope it does. As such, whilst I'm not a fan of Ginge and chums, that bloke's ego might have added 1m to the charity pot, which might never otherwise have seen the light of day. Everyone has their own motivator, that was his, even if it upset the spotty girl who offered her pocket money.

Just my 100k's (tax deductible) worth Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #579832 23rd Nov 2016 12:39pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Yes Grenadier, I can see your points, the large corporations on their bid in the popularity stakes gaining that subtle boost to their profiles. The sheep that will spend an unbelievable fortune in the High Street stores spending their benefit monies on the latest wide screen tv's and latest gadgets as they've been devoid of any Americanisms since Trick or Treat week, sorry night.
The biggest problem I do have with these charitable events is in how they are "forced" on us. For those of us with school age children dread the next "Big Push", we get letters informing us that such and such a day it will be a non-uniform day, that'll be 1, send in another 1 for this, another 1 for that. Sometimes it would be nice to be given the choice of who you wish to donate to, we have the choice in the street when one of those tin rattlers stand in your way, you can walk round them, awkward I know but doable, with your childs school it's more difficult.
With a child with special needs I have my own ideas on where I donate my contributions to, we all have our own preferred charities and I feel you should be able to donate following your own beliefs not by being coerced by well trained employees of the latest fashionable charity machine.
Post #580006 24th Nov 2016 12:36am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Sometimes I get a little peeved at the celebrities who front these charity marathons.

I always think that just 10% of the combined wealth of these luvies if they gave that amount would sort out many of the problems the charities are trying to solve by these fund raising events.

I often feel that some of these celebs who agonize over the conditions of some, especially in underdeveloped counties are taking the mickey, as in front of these TV huggers are a team of cameramen, sound engineers, make up artists, PA gurus etc and the huge air fare bill it costs to get them over there. All being put up in top hotels in the nearest town and then the amount of money spent editing the whole thing, perhaps if they just showed a stock film and donated the considerable amount of money that these mini celeb fronted films cost I would feel better about the whole thing. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #580116 24th Nov 2016 4:04pm
MaxRPM

England 
I remember a few years ago when it was discovered that Terry Wogan had been charging CIN 12K to host the evening. He was very red faced and insisted he had not noticed either the 12K coming in, or that he was invoicing them for the amount.
He did it for free after that.
Post #580119 24th Nov 2016 4:14pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
I would love to be in a position where I didn't notice 12k going into my account Rolling Eyes Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #580226 24th Nov 2016 10:04pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
All this Black Friday Censored is driving me mad - I have recieved at least 25 emails from companies and suppliers (including some major Middle Eastern Airlines!) offering me deals... if it can be cheaper today then you ripped me off yesterday!!

What would it cost to get DHL to parcel up "Black Friday" with "trick or treat" and send it back across the Atlantic 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #580338 25th Nov 2016 10:52am
RFT

Re Terry Wogan, just to clarify he was paid by the BBC (i.e. from our taxes) not by CIN funds. It was still not the most sensible thing to do by either party. 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #580339 25th Nov 2016 10:55am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
RFT wrote:
All this Black Friday Censored is driving me mad - I have recieved at least 25 emails from companies and suppliers (including some major Middle Eastern Airlines!) offering me deals... if it can be cheaper today then you ripped me off yesterday!!

What would it cost to get DHL to parcel up "Black Friday" with "trick or treat" and send it back across the Atlantic

Bow down

As you say it's just another shallow import from the supposed land of the free. The amazing thing is people fall for it Rolling Eyes Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #580393 25th Nov 2016 2:08pm
RFT

An off duty Police Officer has been stabbed in HMV in Yorkshire in a BF sale according to BBC news 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #580399 25th Nov 2016 2:10pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Pardon the pun but I don't buy Black Friday either, or the Cymber Monday thing.

There is no deal, it's a con to encourage people to spend on stuff at standard price.

Much like the insurance industry 90% cash in 10% cash out. The nearer cash out to 0% the better. Evil or Very Mad Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #580408 25th Nov 2016 2:42pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
RFT wrote:
Re Terry Wogan, just to clarify he was paid by the BBC (i.e. from our taxes) not by CIN funds. It was still not the most sensible thing to do by either party.

Not to speak ill of the dead, but I think the concern was that everyone peddled the point that all the luvvies (TW included) did this all free of charge and in their own time. And TW (and possibly many more of them) hadn't. I believe that Tel did give the money to Children in Need, but only after getting caught.

Yes gilarion, you are so right. They all stand there with their millions telling us to give our money! They give their time for free, so its all ok.

TV Land is awash with money (maybe not as much as it used to be) but none of them are claiming family credits.

It always worries me how many hard up people get strung along with the TV programme and end up phoning and pledging money that they can not afford?
Post #580413 25th Nov 2016 3:08pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Charity status now is more abused than ever.

Various charities that I cannot name locally for example have wages from 18k to 42k PA.

This is supposed to be not for profit "charities" for causes that are outdoors.
When people donate in goodwill they expect the money say 80 - 90% to go to the actual cause.
In reality.
Most of the money goes in fat cats pockets that are self elected themselves.
The actual work completed is done by 'volounteers' again people's good nature taken adavantage of and a token fund put in for the actual cause that should have nearly all the funding,

And of course the Charity is too poor to employ people on an average wage sat 12 - 15k so needs volounteers.
All the while certain individuals are still coining it in, in such a poor charity like they are in a private sector job for profit and the whole thing is kept rather hush hush.

Words fail me on this, and is the reason why I don't pay these type of people to get rich quick.
It goes on what it is supposed to go on or not at all.

Rolling Eyes

Then of course there are those that are genuine and like greenlaning, get tarred with the same brush.

Then there is private schools that are using charity status too, why would or should any school private, state or either be charities?
I have no issue with either and isn't a status gripe from me but I fail to see why it should be that charity status should be use in cases that clearly are not charities. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #580440 25th Nov 2016 5:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 172 of 265 <123 ... 171172173 ... 263264265>