↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 174 of 265 <123 ... 173174175 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Well said Grenadier Thumbs Up One of the things I detest is people judging a book by its cover. My son a few years ago got into the Goth culture with all that entails. The clothes he wore I suppose did make him stand out somewhat especially when he wore his black leather jacket emblazoned with allsorts for stuff and the Goth type haircut he sported. I well remember a woman talking to a friend of ours and as my son and I walked passed made some derogatory comment about him, our friend immediately defended him telling this ignorant person how polite and well mannered he was. He's toned the dress and hairstyle down a bit now as he's a Dad himself and still a lovely thoughtfull ,well mannered and polite lad.
Post #580607 26th Nov 2016 6:05pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
custom90steve wrote:
You can't expect happiness in this thread though can you. Confused

Not at all Rolling Eyes Beetroot never made me happy. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #580611 26th Nov 2016 6:19pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Bah Humbug
Christmas Shopping grrrhhh, Evil or Very Mad

more importantly Christmas Markets or Christmas Fayres, just suffered the Christmas Fayre in Burt St Edmunds, thousands of people too many, looking at overpriced toot, too many"so called" local producers and gifts, "my arse", far too many gifts manufactured overseas, most likely China/Vietnam/India, Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #580627 26th Nov 2016 6:59pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
"Burt St Edmunds" sounds just like a slightly camp variety star from the 1950's who worked in Butlins

I totally agree, so called local producers are often market traders who have no local association, must drive the real local traders mad, bit like many "Farmer's Markets" these days. 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #580629 26th Nov 2016 7:07pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Re: Bah Humbug
Muddybigdog wrote:

more importantly Christmas Markets or Christmas Fayres, just suffered the Christmas Fayre in Burt St Edmunds, thousands of people too many, looking at overpriced toot, too many"so called" local producers and gifts, "my arse", far too many gifts manufactured overseas, most likely China/Vietnam/India,

I live locally and the popularity of the Bury Christmas market will be it's downfall, I avoid it like the plague now. I never cease to be amazed at some of the dire, mass produced tacky rubbish people buy. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #580630 26th Nov 2016 7:14pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
My daughter had a look around the Manchester Christmas market today, said it was awful, completely rammed , people bad tempered and overpriced goods, apparently a hot dog and mulled wine was £11 Rolling Eyes
Post #580664 26th Nov 2016 8:34pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Re: Bah Humbug
Muddybigdog wrote:

Mine = Amazon Prime = Done Very Happy 
Post #580761 27th Nov 2016 12:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
If you haven't got the Christmas presents bought by the end of November, you are doing it wrong. Keep December clear for enjoy in the atmosphere. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #580784 27th Nov 2016 4:25pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
defender9 wrote:
Well said Grenadier Thumbs Up One of the things I detest is people judging a book by its cover. My son a few years ago got into the Goth culture with all that entails. The clothes he wore I suppose did make him stand out somewhat especially when he wore his black leather jacket emblazoned with allsorts for stuff and the Goth type haircut he sported. I well remember a woman talking to a friend of ours and as my son and I walked passed made some derogatory comment about him, our friend immediately defended him telling this ignorant person how polite and well mannered he was. He's toned the dress and hairstyle down a bit now as he's a Dad himself and still a lovely thoughtfull ,well mannered and polite lad.

I used to be a goth. Awesome sub culture for a yoof, great music too. Tell your son you recently listened to Fields of the Nephilim's seminal 1988 Album 'The Nephilim' on their limited edition double vinyl and particularly liked the song 'Moonchild', then casually walk away.... Thumbs Up

And staying with my theme of suede shoes, I used to wear these Rolling with laughter

Not sure why anyone has an issue with goths anyway, by far though most chilled group, never cause trouble (except the Colombine Massacre), And keep themselves to themselves. And when the girls look like this Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #580835 27th Nov 2016 7:51pm
xpertoftheseas

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Edit.

Removed as taken out of context. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.

Last edited by xpertoftheseas on 28th Nov 2016 8:20am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #581007 28th Nov 2016 2:27am
Grenadier

Um, I'm guessing here, but not sure she was around when Floyd were plying there trade. In common parlance, you're old enough to be her dad... Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #581016 28th Nov 2016 7:44am
gabe3105

United Kingdom 
Why the hell do food manufacturers think they can rip us off without us knowing? I took a bag of Squares crisps from a multipack yesterday and, thinking how few crisps there seemed to be inside checked the weight - 22g. It wasn't long ago the smallest bag was 30g. In 5 years time there will only be 3 or 4 crisps per bag while the price keeps on rising. Scum Evil or Very Mad
Post #581272 29th Nov 2016 11:18am
Grenadier

Stuart Barnes and Miles Harrison's commentary on Sky Rugby. After 20 years of listening to their drivel, particularly Barnes, I'm still not sure why he has a contract. Barnes talks mainly rubbish and has such a chip on his shoulder about only having a handful of International caps that he can't say anything good about England. I'm sure on the rare occasion he does say something positive it's only because Brian Moore is staring at him from the BBC commentary booth and doing a slashing movement across his throat. I'll be ecstatic when the day comes, if it ever comes, that all England matches are back on BBC. But then there's that squeaky chappy Davies to worry about. Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #582458 3rd Dec 2016 7:14pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
I do not have time to keep up to date with this thread (my grump for today)

Now Grenadier, winding back about a week/few pages and your comments about yobs and public v state schools.

Now IF parents can afford to send their children to private fee paying schools what is wrong with that?

Now parents will have paid taxes i.e. contributed to the state education system but are not putting a demand on the state educational system.

Likewise someone using a private hospital rather then a NHS hospital.

Now if the argument is about standards then surely you want to improve the standard of the lower achieving schools and hospitals so that they are improved and approach the standard of the better private/state schools/hospitals.

Brendan
Post #582535 3rd Dec 2016 11:09pm
Grenadier

Absolutely agree that I'd love for health and state education to improve, but bureaucracy and a system filled with inefficient state sector managers means they never will. The proof is in the stats. It now costs £10000 per child per annum to be educated in the state sector whereas the average in the private sector is just under £13000. However I'm sure most would agree that the difference in the levels of education and attainment differs by far, far more. Indeed I recently watched a Head teacher of a state school deemed 'outstanding' by OFSTED say that by pupils coming to his academy rather than the one down the road, they could raise the average results of child by a whole grade across 8 GCSEs. Admirable, except he then added that would take them from averaging Ds to Cs. Very few private schools would have any pupils if they promised Cs across the board, so what's the difference? Pupils more intelligent? Of course not. But if the amount of available money per child is roughly the same (with notable extremes in the private sector), what is the state sector doing? As I said above, bureaucracy, inefficiency, dull management, bloated staffing, union involvement, and a mentality that dumbs down education in all its facets (no competitive sports, no Christmas, call teachers by their first name, wear what you want etc) that's made a lot of schooling in to some hippy, touchy feely concept rather than 'real life'. Then throw in unrealistic expectations such as the labour party's desire to have 50% of 18 year olds in university (what? Do we really believe that 50% of the country are intelligent enough to do a degree and further will actually benefit from it in such a way to improve their lives and offer something back to the U.K., or have we just dumbed down higher education to the point of nonthingness with degrees like David Beckham Studies?) and you are left with an education system that is failing its pupils. What's particularly upsetting is that kids in the private sector are no brighter and private schools don't do anything super complicated, they just understand and get the basics right. Most state schools could do the same, and in fact the most successful ones generally do, it's the wet 'social thinkers' going right back the the 70s that are ruining it for the rest. Very very sad. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #582547 4th Dec 2016 12:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 174 of 265 <123 ... 173174175 ... 263264265>