↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Another rattly Puma post
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Another rattly Puma post
There's Puma rattles and Puma rattles so here's mine !

New Puma 2k miles

When I rev it when stationary its fine - makes the normal distinctive TDCI sound a la Mondeo, Focus etc.

If I rev it foot to the floor hard in each gear its also fine. Once its cruising its also OK
IfI accellerate very gently - fine. So whats the problem ?

In normal driving either on normal accelleration or under load (eg coming to a hill) there is a tappety rattle from the engine which sounds like the valve clearances need adjusting (which of course they don't and can't !)
You can vary the timbre of the rattle by varying the amount of throttle. Its more noticable when the engine is very warm and when doing lots of driving on twisty hilly roads. Strangely enough on our way back from London last week the rattle disappeared for about 10 minutes under conditions when it would normally be very noticable but then came back again.

I have used 2 stroke oil from new (50ml per 10l diesel) and quality fuel. Today I changed the oil and filter and that didn't make any difference. I get 27mpg and there's no shortage of power - its pretty lively.

I've done a search and there's lots of advice along the lines of pilot correction relearn, injector codes, water in fuel etc but none of the other rattly symptoms are quite the same as this one so maybe someone out there has had the same problem and fixed it ??

Or maybe its normal ? I don't know but as they say the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Thanks in advance
Post #87459 3rd Sep 2011 8:34pm
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
My 60 plate 110 utility done this but it seemed intermittent usually worse on cold mornings, sound is very disturbing for a new motor, never found cause as i sold it to buy a 110 dc tomb raider and a d3 as well.
Post #87461 3rd Sep 2011 8:38pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Get the same from mine when I have been offroad and using low ratio a lot.

Back on tarmac and high range I get a similar tappet type noise. After 40/50 miles it seems to sort itself out. I use decent (Esso ?) fuel and 2 stroke as well. Dealer looked at it earlier this year and could not find anything amiss. It used to be a lot worse when I used Shell Fuel Save so my best guess is that it may be fuel related.

I just live with it now Thumbs Up

Bob
Post #87466 3rd Sep 2011 9:10pm
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Fun enough i was using shell, may have had something to do with it as it was intermittent and now and again i used bp
Post #87474 3rd Sep 2011 9:27pm
Denis

Russia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Also have such sound on several Pumas (of my friends) - thats not a problem at all. All on new (low mileage) engines.

Cheers Very Happy Puma 110
Post #87475 3rd Sep 2011 9:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rossy

thanks for the replies everyone. I too have no problem living with it either as long as there's nothing wrong Thumbs Up
Post #87481 3rd Sep 2011 10:01pm
Forest of Dean 90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Mines the same 07 plate 45,000 miles

sounds awful, is it clutch, gearbox, transfer box or engine ?
Post #87535 4th Sep 2011 8:43am
spudfan

Ireland 
I suppose you have checked the obvious and checked the bolts on the heatshield on the turbo.Sometimes they need to be tightened,especially the one nearest the front of the engine. Mine needed tightening and was causing a bit of a racket but maybe that is different. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #87555 4th Sep 2011 10:31am
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Check the red engine lifting eye, they all come loose then fall onto engine. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #87561 4th Sep 2011 10:54am
rossy

thanks chaps yes I checked those they seem to be a common problem
Post #87565 4th Sep 2011 11:27am
nicknick

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
Hi guys,

my puma with 3000mls on did exactly the rattle your all talking about, its definetley a combustion noise. Mine runs fine apart from the noise, when i had my remap done the noise could be made worse or totally gone by adjusting the injection timing using a laptop, im talking about tiny amounts 0.25 of a degree or so.
Now its totally gone and far more pleasant to drive. One of our transits did the same noise and we had the timing adjusted (no remap) and thats 100% better too. You see all modern engines are mass produced and all the same......, only there not ! this is proven because all engines have a variety of diffrent thickness head gaskets available (2 or 3). This is because of manufacturing tolerances so it stands to reason that one injection timing setting isnt going to suit every engine Exclamation

bloody hell im boring sometimes , sorry Laughing
Post #87632 4th Sep 2011 9:07pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
Taken from the User Manual:

Quote:
DIESEL FUEL QUALITY
Land Rover recommends that only premium
brand diesel fuels are used.
Note: Land Rover vehicle's are capable of
running with up to a 5% blend of bio-diesel in
accordance with European Standard EN590.

SULPHUR CONTENT
The Sulphur content of diesel used in Land
Rover vehicles should not exceed 0.3% (3000
parts per million).

There is no obvious TSB linked to this unfortunately, but does this mean that we should be using premium diesel like BP Ultimate.
Post #87659 4th Sep 2011 10:47pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
And this may possibly help someone, but only relevant on early MY's:

Quote:
Reference SSM38792
Models Defender
Title 2.4 Puma Engine Knock Noise.
Category Engine
Last modified 21-Jul-2008 00:00:00
Symptom 497000 Engine Noise
Content
Issue:
Heavy audible knocking heard on start up.
Cause:
On start up oil pressures can cause the piston cooling jets, (PCJ), to latch into a zero flow condition. Due to hysteresis effect in design the jets do not unlatch until the engine is warm and the oil pressures lower again. During this time with no pressurized oil jet flow to the lower pistons / cylinder bores, overheat and scuff conditions / damage can occur.

Action:
Replace the engine assy but ensure only engines post serial # ELD00080707063602 are used.
This condition will not occur on vehicles post assured Vin# 9A767162.
Engines post the info above are fitted with modified PCJ internal springs and this issue is now closed.
Post #87661 4th Sep 2011 10:54pm
rossy

nicknick wrote:
Hi guys,

my puma with 3000mls on did exactly the rattle your all talking about, its definetley a combustion noise. Mine runs fine apart from the noise, when i had my remap done the noise could be made worse or totally gone by adjusting the injection timing using a laptop, im talking about tiny amounts 0.25 of a degree or so.
Now its totally gone and far more pleasant to drive. One of our transits did the same noise and we had the timing adjusted (no remap) and thats 100% better too. You see all modern engines are mass produced and all the same......, only there not ! this is proven because all engines have a variety of diffrent thickness head gaskets available (2 or 3). This is because of manufacturing tolerances so it stands to reason that one injection timing setting isnt going to suit every engine Exclamation

Nick you are not boring ! That sounds like a plan for next time I'm at the dealers. Many thanks
Post #87822 5th Sep 2011 10:10pm
shrekman

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
nicknick wrote:
Hi guys,

Hi. Now that interesting I thought I was alone with this issue
And finally got the steelers to fit 4 new injectors to cure my rattle.
It didn't cure it.

Thank god I'm not alone. Any other info on the injector timing ????? spent 20 years fixing them ... the dealers just wont listen !!!!
Post #93672 11th Oct 2011 4:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>