↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Another rattly Puma post
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
oil round the injector....

presumably you've checked / tightened the 'clamp' 'rocker' or whatever its called that holds the injectors in place?

not sure but I wouldn't have expected to see any oil around the inejctors unless there was a problem. you wouldn't be the first on here to have a loose injector.
Post #243930 15th Jun 2013 10:29pm
AlanH

Australia 
More than just the odd screw loose spud. Laughing
Post #243956 16th Jun 2013 1:02am
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
yes I tightened the clamp. It was already tight so I just did another 1/2 turn as I didn't want to damage threads. Considering those fork clamps are quite big and they hold down two injectors the bolt seemed very small and weedy for the job
Post #243973 16th Jun 2013 8:35am
spudfan

Ireland 
AlanH wrote:
More than just the odd screw loose spud. Laughing

Seems to be a prerequisite to be a Defender omner/driver. I myself am eminently qualified and proud of it. Rolling with laughter 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #244071 16th Jun 2013 2:11pm
AlanH

Australia 
I've actually just returned it to standard by removing the BAS remap. The death rattle got too much for me so off it came and even the Cook noticed it was quieter. Surprised
Back to the stealer it goes and if it can't be cured...... "For sale" 1 Deafener! Drastic action I know but I love the sound of diesels working but not this bloody awful noise.
AlanH.
Post #245517 22nd Jun 2013 9:55am
Caterham

AlanH

sorry to hear you're having troubles. are you mechanically minded - have you owned a defender before?

not sure if you're aware but I've had a 'few' problems along the way and have been told numerous times to ditch the car but have stuck with it and almost 3 years later, with new gear box, new ecu, new door, new seats, new wiper motor, new bumper, new transfer input shaft, new clutch, new carpets, new bonnet release and numerous visits for poor running, loose heat shield etc I believe I'm almost there.........dodgy handbrake.

Although I origninally always suspected the engine I'm now thinking the biggest problem was always transmission related and not the engine (this I suspect is due to my lack of experience with defenders - could it be the same with yourself).

I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it although it may be a painful process (it certainly had been for me) - but hopefully you'll be glad you stuck with it.

good luck.
Post #245526 22nd Jun 2013 10:19am
Caterham

one other thing. it might do nothing but for the sake of 5mins I'd recommend pulling the MAP and MAF sensors out and giving them a clean and a squirt of electrical spray on the connectors for good measure.

might do nothing but no harm for the sake of 5 mins.
Post #245528 22nd Jun 2013 10:22am
AlanH

Australia 
This is our third Defender and the worst. Td5 broke down once and we never trusted it again as it took nearly 3 weeks to get it 1200klms back to Perth with our camper on the back!
Then a 300Tdi which was gutless so that didn't last long.
Now this thing after 4 faultless years with a brand I won't mention Laughing and although the stealer has done a good job getting rid of the shocking drive train backlash, this noise drives me mad....or should that be madder for buying another Deafener?
I'll check those things out Caterham and let you know how things go.
Thanks for the advice.
AlanH.
Post #245534 22nd Jun 2013 11:06am
Caterham

good luck.

my thoughts are that fundamentally they are great and most items individually are just fine. the problem comes when you get muppets screwing them together with no quality control and it all goes t1ts up !

resulting in a shed load of time and patience trying to sort it out. I do love the car but have come seriously close to jacking it in because it has almost driven me to tears so many times.

the more it gets sorted the more I love it / the relationship / knowledge that is being gleaned from sorting. I should never have had to go through what I have but I believe it will be worth it in the end. if some can be great then they all can given the right mechanic / time and money.

I really do feel for you.

removing the remap has reduced the noise - could this be a result of reduce torq. ie has the noise reduced when under load - if so could this be the result of the twisting effect on the transmission causing something to move more and make contact with something that it shouldn't (i hope that makes sense)?
Post #245548 22nd Jun 2013 12:52pm
Caterham

sorry just going back to my previous problems.....transfer box input shaft.

in hindsieght I believe my transfer box oil was low prior to complete failure. might be worth a look around the gearbox and transfer box / extension between the two to see if there's any signs of oil.

have you done many miles?
Post #245549 22nd Jun 2013 12:54pm
AlanH

Australia 
It's done 90K all up and the noise gets progressively worse then just goes. Not there constantly but definitely engine. I've cleaned the sensor in the air tube before the turbo but no change.
Now it's booked into the stealer to see if they can fix it.
They did a good job with the backlash and they say they are now aware of the "injector learn" problem.......
I'll let you know what happens.
Cheers.
Alan.
Post #246177 24th Jun 2013 9:19am
Caterham

I hope all goes well Thumbs Up

me being new to defenders and all this probably isn't relevant to yourself - but I'd have sworn many of my previous issues we engine related and they weren't
Post #246179 24th Jun 2013 9:28am
llessur

United Kingdom 
Just thought I would add to this as if you are like me it is often comforting to know we are not imagining these things.
Firstly when you said " the noise gets progressively worse then just goes. Not there constantly but definitely engine. " you are absolutely correct. For me I have had this from new up to the existing 35k. To begin with, I was sure it was a tappety noise but then convinced myself it was like "pinking". The strange thing though is it does not seem in anyway connected with load on the engine and can be that loud you become convinced the engine is knac*ered then in the next instance under an exact repeat of the same conditions, say for the next 30 odd miles the engine is quiet and a pleasure to listen to. In an attempt to cure this I started using 2 stroke at about 1k then switched from standard diesel to premium at 4k, then fitted an egine accoustic blankit at 6k, then at 10k I had an injectors recoded and the learn, then at the service I had ALL oils replaced. At 12k I removed the large(exhaust) and small(sensor) heat shields with subsequent replacement. I suppose at this point I just decided to live with it, on the grounds of "if it blows up - its under warranty" At the biggy service I raised the noise issue and suggested injectors. I was told that injectors are not noisy and that I am just listenning to hard - guess it wont be going back to that dealer. So at 30k I have gone back to supermarket cheap diesel, stopped using 2 stroke and you know what - its exactly the same, but definitely no noisier or louder. I tried cleaning the MAF and MAP sensors one day and the next start up it was as quiet as they can be but the noise only returned the following day. So I cleaned the sensors again but it made no difference second time arround. Whilst I would love to know from someone who truly knows this engine what causes this noise that changes on a daily basis ( engines are far too clver these days ) I have to say it does not bother me so much now and I just drive it warts and all. This was my first new Defender and I think that is what is wrong as my expectations were too high. A three year old rattler with half the components rusty or corroded and with white fur and water injecting into the cabin area means all I bother about is that it keeps running.
Is it for sale - not a chance. We have grown together and bonded. My health lets me down as I get older just like the Defender. Its a sort of symbionic relationship. The wife has said she does not want it when I have gone so they might as well bury me in it.
Post #248050 1st Jul 2013 4:02pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I seem to have developed something similar...but at tickover.

Just a couple of times, it's been rattling at tickover (now on 14k miles, 20 months old). Neutral, feet off all pedals.

It happened for the first tme last week just after filling-up. It's come back once or twice, but gone away again.

I lifted the bonnet thinking it was the turbo heat shield (usual issue) needing nipped-up, but that's all tight and fine.

It's gone away again...so I assume it's not terminally mechanical, but just something with it's knickers in a twist....

In terms of fuel, I use Shell around 80% of the time, and BP second, and supermarket fuel when I don't have the choice. I use a slug of 2SO in most tanks. Premium fuels around 15% of the time. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #248055 1st Jul 2013 4:24pm
AlanH

Australia 
Update on my very rattly Puma engine. Back to the stealer it went on Monday for a new heat shield which had vibrated a hole where the bottom bolt should have been and no, it wasn't that causing the rattle.
Also wanted the rear passenger door rehung/replaced or something as it was very badly installed. Well, door has been rehung and it's better but not perfect (am I wrong to expect doors to be installed correctly on a Deafener?) and the big problem, that terrible death rattle has been fixed.
Apparently it was the "injector learn" and the mechanics tested it, checked for faults etc, got it good and hot and then adjusted whatever they had to and it's not quite deathly silent in the cabin, but is certainly much much better than it was. Very Happy
So now I have a Puma which doesn't rattle and doesn't suffer from such terrible driveline slop. Fingers crossed it stays like it as it's quite a pleasure to drive now.
Good luck to those others suffering.
AlanH.
Post #248897 4th Jul 2013 2:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>