↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Swing-Away Wheel Carrier for DCPU
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Swing-Away Wheel Carrier for DCPU
Keeping the spare "indoors" on a DCPU takes a fair amount of the (already limited) space in the back section, so since getting the 110 a few months back the plan was always to fit a swing-away carrier. As the 110 already has a Frontrunner roof rack supported at the rear by a pair of Patriot ladders it was necessary to consider these when choosing a wheel carrier. Fortunately Patriot make a swing-away compatible version of their offside ladder which has the same bolt holes so buying that was step 1.

Most wheel carriers seem to be for Station Wagons, but a few manufacturers make one for tailgated vehicles. I considered several different wheel carriers and ended up choosing the Safari Equipment one because it looked to be compatible with the Patriot ladder, looked sturdy, was a sensible price and had the option of being supplied galvanised and powder coated. I took both which cost about £15 extra but it should be more rust resistant once the powder coating gets chipped or cracks.

Fitting the carrier was straightforward but a few modifications were needed to both the ladder and carrier:

1) The carrier needed a few mm removing from its anti-luce bracket to give clearance past the nearside ladder
2) The lower fixing plate for the offside ladder needed to be trimmed by 3mm top & bottom to allow it to fit inside the lower mounting bracket of the wheel carrier

The supplied steel cable swing restraint is too long for this application because the carrier hits the offside ladder upright first so wasn't fitted. I'll make up a shorter one sometime.

Overall I'm pleased with the result. Several suppliers said it couldn't be done, especially with symmetrical NAS rear lights, but don't believe them - here's the proof. It is as sturdy as I hoped and doesn't rattle whilst driving. And, most importantly I've now got a lot more "inside" space Smile

Now I need another layer of security Whistle And tidy up the rear crossmember.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

[/list]
Post #610398 18th Mar 2017 8:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1