↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Box changes - 1st to 3rd to 6th
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blimbug

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Bonatti Grey
Box changes - 1st to 3rd to 6th
What is the consensus on box gearbox changing on the TDCi?

I often miss gears when driving - starting in 2nd (when on a slight hill for example), then miss 3rd and opt for 4th and then 6th. Similar process on down shifts.

When I do this, it doesn't feel like the engine is labouring, however I wanted to check with those more informed than me, as to whether I may be doing damage to the engine / gearbox etc, by box changing?

Thanks!
Post #646097 24th Aug 2017 5:01pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello blimbug

I would say to not labour the engine when changing up (using your method) would require (promote) 'holding on' to the lower gear(s) for longer, in order to achieve the 'required' rev's / speed to make the engine feel 'happy' when you do change up....and all this saves you... is selecting the intermediate gear, progressing through the rev / speed range as intended.

Maybe I'm missing something but why do this? it would probably stress the engine and gearbox more than intended, maybe this is offset somewhat by less clutch wear..., but to mimic what probably most of us do changing down, i.e. 6th to 4th or 3rd...4th to 2nd...etc after breaking, feels a bit odd to me that this principle should 'work' changing up...I've never done it (intentionally any way).

I wait to be corrected on the logic of this... Confused SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #646107 24th Aug 2017 6:11pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
No reason at all not to change gear as you wish, provided that you are sympathetic to the engine and don't over-rev it or let it labour.

I regularly do changes like 3rd to 5th, 4th to 6th, 6th to 4th, 2nd to 4th, etc, and cannot for a moment comprehend why any vaguely competent driver wouldn't. Constraining yourself to sequential changes only with a traditional manual box suggests to me a lack of understanding of how a vehicle works and what the gearbox is for.

You will probably find however that it is worth double-declutching changes both up and especially down (which I always do) when you start getting fancy with the box, another dying art.
Post #646108 24th Aug 2017 6:20pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I use the gearbox in much the same manner as Blackwolf although I only double declutch on the way down the box. Occasionally I will double declutch from 1st to 2nd, i guess that's what learning to drive in a Series One does for you, even 50 years later. I'm not going to wear the synchro hubs out but i dread to think about what's happening to the clutch plate. Embarassed Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #646110 24th Aug 2017 6:40pm
Thor

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
As above.

Select the gear you need, not just the next one in numerical order! Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #646113 24th Aug 2017 6:44pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Yep - select gear to suit speed and revs as well as traffic conditions.
Post #646138 24th Aug 2017 7:59pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I do a mix of both sequential and missing gears depending on progress and mood , but would say mine seams very happy either way, and progress feels just a quick either way but I have only ever missed 1 gear out at a time not 2 (as per thread title) DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #646154 24th Aug 2017 9:09pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
It's fine to block change, it's better on the gearbox as you're not wearing the gears you don't need and it means less gear changes so it means less wear on the selectors and syncros. You've been taught to block change on driving tests for at least 18 years.

Driving lorries you miss out most of the gears when empty or lightly loaded, you only use all of them (which could be as many as 16 gears) when heavily loaded and moving off on steep gradients. So you might actually pull away in 3rd, then change to 5th, then to 8th when empty. Or even pull away in 5th if you're pointing down hill. Lorries do millions of miles on the original gear boxes.

Just pick what ever gear suits your road speed and engine revs, that's the important bit. Don't try changing from 6th to 2nd at 60mph for example. But there would be no reason not to if you'd braked down to say 20mph and needed to pickup speed again.
Post #646165 24th Aug 2017 9:47pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Post #646287 25th Aug 2017 4:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1