↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Running on/throttle responce?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Running on/throttle responce?
Morning all, another question please. How many of you suffer from the “running on” of the throttle?
To explain myself: starting from stand still, pull away in first, change to second, put your foot to the floor until you reach 1800rpm then release the throttle. On mine it carries on accelerating on full throttle for about 2-3 seconds covering up to 25 ft (at its worse) before the engine revs start to drop. This can only be avoided by either breaking hard or dipping the clutch. This happens in all gears but can be quite hairy in stop/start traffic in second gear. Land Rover tell me this is quite normal and all defenders do it. Your thoughts please.

Thank you

Boy
Post #3433 29th Aug 2008 10:48am
Japseroony

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Re: Running on/throttle responce?
The Boy wrote:
Morning all, another question please. How many of you suffer from the “running on” of the throttle?
To explain myself: starting from stand still, pull away in first, change to second, put your foot to the floor until you reach 1800rpm then release the throttle. On mine it carries on accelerating on full throttle for about 2-3 seconds covering up to 25 ft (at its worse) before the engine revs start to drop. This can only be avoided by either breaking hard or dipping the clutch. This happens in all gears but can be quite hairy in stop/start traffic in second gear. Land Rover tell me this is quite normal and all defenders do it. Your thoughts please.

Thank you

Boy

Hi,

Mine does this and its even worse when your off road climbing over rocks or through mud when you need to give it some throttle and then back off immediatley - almoast ran into the back of a TD5 some time ago as I was coming out of some boggy stuff and onto a decent bit of track when she took off on me Whistle

Think I will have my dealer look at this but I dont expect much of an ansewr Rolling with laughter

Pete, if your watching, do you have any thing to say about this Question

Russell.
Post #3441 29th Aug 2008 12:54pm
The Boy

Quote:
Mine does this and its even worse when your off road climbing over rocks or through mud when you need to give it some throttle and then back off immediatley - almoast ran into the back of a TD5 some time ago as I was coming out of some boggy stuff and onto a decent bit of track when she took off on me

Yes I know what you mean Russell, on steep hill climbs it can be very unnerving Shocked Did some rocks in Spain about 13 mths ago and found it very hard to get used to. Have also nearly run into back of other cars while in traffic a few times Shocked I wish I could get rid of it!

Boy
Post #3442 29th Aug 2008 1:02pm
Japseroony

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
The Boy wrote:

I wish I could get rid of it!

Boy

What the vehicle or the over-run Question
Post #3443 29th Aug 2008 1:35pm
The Boy

Japseroony wrote:
The Boy wrote:

I wish I could get rid of it!

Boy

What the vehicle or the over-run Question

I'm gonna have to think about that one Laughing Laughing Rolling with laughter
Post #3444 29th Aug 2008 2:11pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
There is a dealer fix for this issue Thumbs Up
Post #3462 29th Aug 2008 8:13pm
The Boy

AndrewS wrote:
There is a dealer fix for this issue Thumbs Up

Really Shocked

They have told me it is surposed to be like that Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked I have been arguing the toss for neally nine months now.

What is the fix??????? Have you had it done?????

Maybe things are looking up?

Boy
Post #3466 29th Aug 2008 8:55pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I have felt the same thing in my testing, i recon its partly the VNT actuation been slighlty slower than your foot,and partly in the mapping to keep the gear change and driveability smooth.

I did notice this when i was doing the first mapping and it took me some time to get used to i must admit.

These is sometimes a simlar feeling on the TD5's and disconnecting the clutch switch seemed to help with the throttle shut off but only when you were changing gear.

Regards Pete

Last edited by bell-auto-services on 31st Aug 2008 11:23am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #3470 29th Aug 2008 11:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Boy

If I take my foot off at 1800 rpm it will carry on until about 2400rpm until it starts drop off Shocked

I would be very interested to see if there is a dealer fix?????????

Boy
Post #3473 30th Aug 2008 8:42am
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I looked on GTR last night and could no find anything about the dealers , unless i missed it of course.

Regards Pete
Post #3474 30th Aug 2008 9:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Boy

Thanks Pete, I got all excited there didn't I? TBH I have all but given up on it anyway.

Do all Defenders do it? The dealers made me drive another one to prove to me that all defenders do it (though it was not as bad as mine). I just can't believe that they make a vehicle that when you take your foot off the throttle it still gets fuel and is still accelorating! Shocked Maybe I am jsut getting old and not willing to take on new ideas?
Post #3475 30th Aug 2008 9:27am
DefenderKen

United Kingdom 
April 08 build and mine does not do this.

I've had a few 'fly by wire' cars now including a mkV golf gti which do have a different 'feeling' to good old fashioned cables, however my car does nothing like you are describing.

Hope this helps. Stornoway Grey 90 XS
Focus C-Max Tdci
Kawasaki ZX6R C6f
Post #3477 30th Aug 2008 1:36pm
The Boy

DefenderKen wrote:
April 08 build and mine does not do this.

I've had a few 'fly by wire' cars now including a mkV golf gti which do have a different 'feeling' to good old fashioned cables, however my car does nothing like you are describing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Ken Yes it does as I now can put my hand on my hart and tell land rover no al do it!!!

Anyone else have this??
Post #3479 30th Aug 2008 3:30pm
dave's 110

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have had it in the first few weeks once or twice Twisted Evil But change my driving so suit Rolling Eyes and have not had it know for the last 4000 miles Rolling Eyes I know have Pete's remap on and have not found it doing at all Thumbs Up

Dave
Post #3486 31st Aug 2008 9:11am
The Boy

dave's 110 wrote:
I have had it in the first few weeks once or twice Twisted Evil But change my driving so suit Rolling Eyes and have not had it know for the last 4000 miles Rolling Eyes I know have Pete's remap on and have not found it doing at all Thumbs Up

Dave

Thanks Dave, this is jsut getting better and better!

I am soon to have a engineer down from Lodge Lane to inspect my vehicle and it is helpful to know that other TDCi's don't do it. Over the last 10 months it has been a constant battle with the dealers and they have jsut sticking to the story that they all do it. At one point I went to Hartwells at N/ton (not by choice) they were very rude and said among other thing it was my driving style and it was a reflection on my age that I did not understand modern engines!!!!!!!! Shocked Rolling Eyes (I,m 44) . My 110 does it all the time but worse when cold. I really to appreciate the feedback I am getting here guys Thumbs Up Bow down . It took them 3 weeks to fit a fuel pump which just about says it all. With this engineer coming down I am kecking myself that it wil be another white wash and them just coming up with loads of excuses why I have all these faults. Teh engine now knocks and is runing very rough, this has only started since when it made one morning a horrible noise which sounded like the engine was going to destory itself. The vehicle then stopped dead and I had to be recovered. This happened four time since and like i have just said it has been noisy and rough since!

Thanks for all your help.

Boy
Post #3491 31st Aug 2008 10:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>