↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Site News & Feedback > Nitram17 has been banned
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
dgardel

Italy 
as my IMHO is that Martin is one of the best moderator that I know, I can tell him "you don't need to explain your self" Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #546780 7th Jul 2016 10:11am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgardel

Italy 
but I need to underline that the D2 community is one of the most educated community that I know, the Martin's job is easy

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Last edited by dgardel on 7th Jul 2016 10:23am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #546783 7th Jul 2016 10:13am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon67

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Just to add a bit of balance, said banned member did at time deliberately post views that could best be viewed as inflaming the situation

This is one of the best forums for Defender ownership and I don't object to the mild bit of banter / argument, but at times said member could be said to have overstepped the mark. I wasn't obviously the only one who thought it
Post #546785 7th Jul 2016 10:19am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
I think it has to be pointed out that Defender2 is in fact a business and that 'Sponsors' aren't actually sponsors, we are businesses that pay (Martin) to advertise on Defender2.

Brendan is the biggest 'Sponsor' on here, he pays the most to Martin.

When you make a 'donation' (which is entirely up to you) you are making a payment to Martins company.

Many a time I have disagreed with Brendan and many a time I have been warned off by Martin.

Below is an email that I have received from Nitram17 - I am posting it as I believe it is only fair that he has his say.

The thread that he refers to has been removed by Martin and actually I too disagreed with some of the statements being made by Brendan and Peter from Naka on that same thread and received a verbal onslaught from Peter that was both bullying and condescending.

I was banned by Martin a few years ago and had a friend on the forum who did the same for me.

..................................................................................................................

This I what I wrote to get myself banned…..but only in response to Brendan’s comments only which you cannot see because martin has removed the whole thread “rear wheel protector “and my comments only make sense in response to Brendan’s comments! (I’m assuming he has removed it as I cannot see it) there was nothing offensive on that thread so I don’t understand the need to remove it!

As for warnings martin put a general warning to posters on a Brexit thread and then sent me one (about the same thread)via pm I responded by pm him back asking him to look at my comments at that point to tell me what was wrong with them to warrant a warning …he did not reply

Martin has banned me from the thread I tried to contact him via e mail to try to sort this out of forum and he has not replied.. I am still receiving e mail notifications about p.m. and I have no way of replying I also have loads of contacts, data ,fixes how to’s from forum members stored in my pm section that I have asked martin for access to copy but he has not replied!

I do think the banning is unfair. Yes there was an argument with Brenden but my replies were only a response to his and were aimed at putting my side of the story which I thought was valid.

I have viewed some of the posts since you posted that I was banned…..and some are very unfair since martin has removed the thread and see what I was banned for !

I can only assume that Brendan has instigated this as he is a sponsor and a valuable asset to the forum!

I think the key thing is that martin has removed the post so forum members cannot make their own mind up if the banning was fair or not !He could have locked it but no he erased it.

Anyway below is a draft of what I wrote its 99.9% accurate as I always put a long post into word first (spellcheck is ace) prior to posting)

Where you see the term obfuscation I originally had “waffle “but I’m sure I changed it .It really only makes true sense if you can see Brendan’s poste and especially the tone of his post as I took it to imply I was lying and he was questioning other people’s engineering and business acumen.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Brendan I would like to keep this short but I might find that difficult…….

Firstly I really don’t like your use of the word” apparently” and to provide context…… a poster posted that there was a problem with the NK wheel carrier and he was asking on the forum for more information from you or peter as he had heard there was a recall.

There followed a lot of obfuscation from you and peter discussing the problem of the recall without saying what the problem was.

It appeared very strange to me that you would not state the actual problem was!

Naively I remembered a pm I received about problems with the Nk…… wheel carrier bearing and I asked if this was the problem ……only then did peter interject that it was some problem with some types of wheels….

Now I take everybody on face value until proven otherwise I would not post anything I knew to be untrue I simply reported what a much respected old timer on here pmd me about the NK….. wheel carrier when I was asking about the pros and cons of different wheel carriers..i will not identify him as a pm is private but this is his pm

“The Naka wheel carrier can have problems with bearing failure then you have to return the unit to the supplier - a good friend of mine had to either buy a new carrier or live with the bearing failure”

The only reason I asked about the wheel carrier was because you were very slow to outline the reason for the recall!

Now I was new to the forum and I did not realise how dominant you are on this forum I do now but I still have no idea what the truth is I have no reason to doubt the person who pmd me as he still posts on here and he appears to be a calm reasoned knowledgeable person ..

I have no idea I what his or your engineering qualifications are but I do know that you defend the products you sell in a very forthright manor like a lioness defends her cubs after all you have a vested interest and sometimes it can come across a little like bullying behaviour!

If folk are interested on freedom of speech please read this
THERE WAS A LINK HERE TO BRUK S THREAD “FREEDOM OF SPEECH ON THE FORUM” if you put it in the search section it will pop up(unless martin has removed this also) as it provides context to the entreq comment at the end of my post.

nothing changes over time!

Now for the pics of the lock .peter posted the pics and said it will be ready in a few weeks for production a few people highlighted a few flaws and suddenly it’s the wrong photo.

I did ask you to post the right photo but you refused in case anybody copied it( you have posted the latest version several months later so why could you not post it them )….now you would never copy anything would you Brendan?

Anyway many months later still no lock…….You talk about business acumen but for peter to post the wrong photo and state it’s a few weeks from production is not great business practice in my book!

In reality i get no benefit from arguing with you except defending myself from loaded terms like apparently and I hope I have I!

I realise many on here will support Brendan but I ask others to look at some of the tone and content of many of his previous posts and I ask newcomers not to mention if you think entreq products are not value for money.

Last edited by Go Beyond on 7th Jul 2016 12:11pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #546807 7th Jul 2016 11:46am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Martin. PMs sent to you,.....still in your outbox,....so unread by you,.....please read, all the way from Aussie.
YOU are the boss, keep up the good work.
Pickles.
Post #546811 7th Jul 2016 12:11pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Go Beyond wrote:
I think it has to be pointed out that Defender2 is in fact a business and that 'Sponsors' aren't actually sponsors, we are businesses that pay (Martin) to advertise on Defender2.

Revenue is the root of all evil. Even if a product (unrelated to anything above) is well documented as being absolutely rubbish and personal experiences also back this fact up you are threatened with a ban if you continue to warn others about the serious lack of quality of said product!

How do I know?

Hence my diminished lack of activity. I still love the forum and the help and assistance I can both offer and receive when needed. Generally it is well run with a balanced view, nevertheless I had my eyes opened to "What really matters in the overall scheme of things!"

'Nuff said! Whistle If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #546824 7th Jul 2016 1:03pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I had no idea that Brendan had special privileges on this forum it certainly does not come over in his threads or posts, however if the man pays his money to keep this forum financed, then he is also entitled to have a little extra clout.

Sometimes, yes Brendan’s language can be deemed a little gruff, but then again that language is used only when he is replying to either a posters invectives or even worse a poster who is obviously an idiot both with their question or their answers. It does appear at times that Brendan does not suffer fools gladly and I for one have no problem with that. However in support of the man I have found him to be knowledgeable open and fair and at times generous with his forum discounts and money off multi buy items.

I do understand Nitram17’s frustration especially that his difficulty and his banning has been aired so publically now on this forum, and I agree with him that he has every right to defend himself after posters on this thread have made comments. However I have to say that the problem Nitram17 is you make your comments personal and you use written words that can be interpreted as inflammatory whether intended or not, you are it seems to me a man who speaks his mind and all power to you for doing so, nevertheless you must also know that in doing so you have to take the consequences. However, as with Brendan in support of you I have found the biggest parts of your posts to be helpful and also entertaining in many ways. And I hope that you and Brendan can somehow by words shake hands and start again, sometimes just the words sorry or regret is enough if they are genuinely given. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #546836 7th Jul 2016 1:34pm
Loz2286

United Kingdom 
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
This is the problem though isn't it, people make all sorts of snide and hurtful comments and in some cases are even openly aggressive and everyone who is not on the receiving end thinks oh it's just a bit of banter and is quite funny without taking the time to consider it from the side of the victim yet then when the victim finally has had enough and deals with their tormentor in a suitably adult manner then the watchers suddenly start making a fuss about how the original perpetrators were utterly blameless. If someone gets banned it's because they have done enough to deserve it.

I have moderated on a few forums, admin on a couple of Facebook groups...it's a thankless task. You get criticised if people think you're too easy-going, you get criticised by others for being over-bearing. You can't please all the people....

Keep up the good work Martin. Thumbs Up 1999 Td5 110 CSW
1961 Series 2 88 LPG
Post #546855 7th Jul 2016 3:17pm
pjb

I had to smile

Quote:
Sometimes, yes Brendan’s language can be deemed a little gruff

He's from Yorkshire straight to the point Whistle 2020 P300 HSE
Post #546858 7th Jul 2016 3:27pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I feel the site's process and its behaviour rules are being questioned here as part of a personal vendetta. Now it's the commercial policy and operation?

If you don't want to take part on a forum that has sponsors, then that is fine - I don't force anyone to be a member.

Ditto I don't force anyone to be a sponsor.

There's no membership fee here, no premium features to unlock, no nagging for donations, no intrusive Google ads, no pop-over pages, no spam emails from "selected partners" etc etc.

I don't believe that I should be paying out of my pocket to run a site where companies are free to generate income from it. Is it totally mad to ask for a fee to do so?

If a business wants to promote its products, it generally has to pay to do that. Magazines, press, Google ads, show stalls, boosted posts on Facebook - all these cost money.

Sponsors are bound by the same rules - if they bicker or otherwise break the rules, they are applied the same as everyone else.

I also don't ban criticism of sponsors. I don't think it's unreasonable to be proportionate and polite when doing so. That's the same as for any other post you might make, as per the site's terms of use.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #546859 7th Jul 2016 3:29pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
The point I was making is that we are all equal but some are more equal than others ...
Post #546862 7th Jul 2016 3:34pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Argghh!

Decision is made.. Somebody has to.
Respect it... we dont have to be on here.
move on... enjoy life!

No need now to keep prodding for reaction

Clemmo Thumbs Up Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #546863 7th Jul 2016 3:47pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Actually Clemmo you're right.

Time to move on.

As I started this thread I believe I can request Martin to lock it and save it for prosperity before someone else requests it to be removed.

Martin .... please
Post #546865 7th Jul 2016 3:54pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I think we all have gathered there has always been friction between you and Brendan, Matt... I don't particularly care about it.

Just don't let your customers see your dirty washing. It doesn't look great.
Post #546868 7th Jul 2016 4:03pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
You're right of course, it doesn't help sales, but sometimes you just have to make a stand and say what you believe.

You can only be bullied for so long before you are forced to make a stand.

It is a fact as Nitram17's banning and numerous others who have pm'd me but wish to remain anonymous attest to that if you cross / criticise / disagree with Brendan then you will be warned off by Martin.
Post #546872 7th Jul 2016 4:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>