↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Tents
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
CatherineF

United Kingdom 
Tents
So have been thinking that after years and years of wanting to go camping we now really do have the ultimate vehicle for putting the dogs in and a tent.

We would only go in the UK and would want some comforts.

Can anyone talk to me about the Oz type tents, but not the one's that are roof mounted if that makes sense. 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro S Line Plus 184 TDI Stronic
2010 90 SMC Over Land Nero Edition - Santorini Black Metallic (Now Departed)
Post #384771 4th Jan 2015 12:42pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Brendan.... Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #384772 4th Jan 2015 12:42pm
CatherineF

United Kingdom 
Thanks K9

Just seen this thread. Quite like this Very Happy

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic29316.html 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro S Line Plus 184 TDI Stronic
2010 90 SMC Over Land Nero Edition - Santorini Black Metallic (Now Departed)
Post #384774 4th Jan 2015 12:49pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
He occasionally has special deals on. Worth a 'pm,' e-mail or call. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #384782 4th Jan 2015 12:59pm
a13x

United Kingdom 
My only advice would be to go look, experience the idea as it is a good amount of investment. We have on oztent rv4 with every possible option. I would say that unless you are travelling solo or as a pair to simply use as a shelter, then the sides and front are a must as there isn't much room otherwise. Also heavy to move and take up space when stored at home.

I still like the idea of them and not thought about selling but we also have a tentipi 9 with stove. Offers more room, better in winds, stand up easily and is more compact. Is also snug with the stove going. However these are twice the price of the oztent set up.
Post #384784 4th Jan 2015 1:06pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
The only thing I would say, as by your sig you are travelling in a 90, is bear in mind the size of the packed tent when going for Oz Tent or any other tent. The Oz Tents pack is long and will need to go up on a full length roof rack. The Oz Tent Jet Tent is a shorter pack size but is still quite bulky.

We recently travelled for 4 months in Oz with a roof tent. We have now got a dog and we can't pack the back of the 90 as we did before as she needs somewhere to sit / sleep!! So we have bought a Sankey Trailer for all the boxes and bits that went where the dog now will go!

It is all so much easier with the space of a 110 but you have to think a bit more and be more 'economical' with what is a 'need' and what is a 'want' when it comes to kit in a 90!

We will be heading out again - somewhere in the UK this time - in the spring - can't wait! Very Happy Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #384803 4th Jan 2015 2:30pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I have several tents and have recently purchased a Caranex (secondhand) http://www.caranex.com/ which I am not sure about yet, but it seems pretty quick to erect, and maybe something else to consider. Its not heavy, and not too big when packed either. Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #384921 4th Jan 2015 8:02pm
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
+ 1 for a tentipi Thumbs Up

Quicker to set up ( if you include pegs guys etc ) than an oztent - we raced one when in the Alps
Also the fire will keep you warm and dry your cloths - perfect for the english summer

Post #384923 4th Jan 2015 8:06pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
^^^ and in the Arctic Thumbs Up
Post #384925 4th Jan 2015 8:09pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Another +1 for the tentipi, we got the chance to stay in one when we meet Mr & Mrs Boode in 2012 and the wife wouldn't go camping again until we got one!

Interesting experience camping with a wood burning stove in the tent if you've never done it before but defiantly warming Thumbs Up

We have a Safir 9 and there is enough room for the 2 of us, the dog and stove and a oztent stretcher bed each!
So warm and comfy wife.

We got the hole lot from Taunton leisure, wife did the order and said I want a discount and they were only to happy to oblige. Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #384936 4th Jan 2015 8:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
Hi Catherine, what do you want to know about Oztents?

The best advice I can give is to try and ensure that you see them in the 'flesh' so to speak. At the 'open air' show we tend to try and display most of the range.

If you are undecided between two different sizes we tend to suggest that people go for the larger size.

With a 90 you will need to carry a tent like an Oztent on a roof rack or in a basket on a couple of roof bars.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me either by email or phone 07929 604668 etc.

Brendan
Post #384937 4th Jan 2015 8:32pm
a13x

United Kingdom 
To give you an idea

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #384938 4th Jan 2015 8:33pm
Sphere

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Keswick Green
After many years of camping I would say one tent doesn't fit all people. I love my rooftent but can't stand the oz tent not because the oz tent is inferior it's just not my type of thing. Before buying a tent I would consider

Where you going, hot / cold - smaller tents better for cold weather, and canvas is better for insulation. The oz tent strikes me as a big tent with little ground space.
How much space it takes up - as mentioned previously 90 and 110s are diffrent also some sites don't allow vehicles close
How long you going for - speed to set up and take down and space for changing /living I think the oz tent scores very high on this
How anal you are in looking after things - canvas needs looking after, I am a canvas man through and through but I am afraid I am someone who puts lines out so the pegs on tents align.
What is your idea of camping - my friend will fill his estate for a weekend camping and its planned months in advance, I have a box under the stairs and sometimes decide on the way home from work and have forgotten my tent before so having mine attached to the truck with sleeping bags laid out is useful.

In all I hear great things about oz tents (apart from price but quality costs) as long as it's the right type of tent. I am looking at buying a tepee myself as a ground tent now the lad is getting a bit older.
Post #384940 4th Jan 2015 8:36pm
a13x

United Kingdom 
^^

One other plus to the tipi, it doesn't need any guy lines unless winds are strong so no chance of tripping. They make a great social area too as the amount of space inside is vast.
Post #384942 4th Jan 2015 8:39pm
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I admit to owning a number of tents of varing weights and sizes (some listed below)

Oztent RV3 being my latest acquisition. I have yet to camp using it so cannot really comment but what i would say is that it is two meters long when packed and circa 18kgs I believe
I got it as I wanted a "quick to put up" tent for when its just me or me and my daughter
If you go for all the side walls etc with Oztent, then it takes just as long as a conventional tent to put up

I have a very light Go-lite tent (Go-lite are now bust) for canoe camping
It is a tepee style (Shangri-la 3) - very quick to put up and camped in high winds with no issues
Only space to sleep and for gear though

I also have a Robens Vista 600 for when her indoors also comes camping.
This is excellent as it is poly-cotton and has separate "sleeping" and "living" areas
Takes about 15 mins to put up and is about 20kgs but will fit in the back of a 90 with no issues
Very good quality tent but most would call this "glamping" I guess

I have used a Tentipi Safir 7 and Safir 9
What I would say about the tepee design is go for a size larger than you think you need - the sloping sides mean that though the footprint is large, the "livable" area is not - so the fact that BigRuss has the 9 person tent is NOT because he takes the same room as 8 blokes (as his name suggests).
Post #384960 4th Jan 2015 9:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>