↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > From simple Puma 110 HardTop to PopTop Overland Camper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Arierep

Portugal 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Shame about that

Had some chances to drive the Disco3, amazing vehicle, love it.
Love my Defender, but wouldn't be a sad guy if I had the Disco3 instead
Post #517557 24th Mar 2016 11:22pm
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Few things made myself to get rid of the Disco:
1. Automatic gearbox - I absolutely love it - in general I find it much better on and off road, BUT - when you realize, that if something happens and you are not able to start the engine, you are simply f*^#d, as you can not be easily towed away, it's rather scary. Expecialy if you are in the middle of nowhere.
2. Weight of the car - last years trip to Georgia and Armenia showed us, that we can't take anymore load. Well - we had practically everything and there was no need for anything else, but the cars' weight was 3,5T Shocked Rolling Eyes You could feel it on the steep slopes, uneven roads - especially full of stones, etc.. The gearbox was also working hard and although everything survived, I just realized it's not the way it should be.
3. Height of the car. 32" is the max tire size you can have. You can't have bigger lift than 2" on that car. Again - lucky I'm having full underbody protection - got some serious hits from the stones on the road like this.

Click image to enlarge

This part looks flat, but believe me - it was unbelievably hard some times. And I know - there are diffs on a certain height - but all the rest of the body is much higher than on my Disco.
4. Space inside. Although Defender looks bigger than it really is, you got more room inside - especially if you have HT as I have now. If everything will end up as planed, having a lifted top will be great improvement for our travels.
5. Cost of the parts - Disco IS expensive when it comes to repairs. You can't easily exchange the wheel bearing - you need a wheel hub. Fuel filter for Defender is twice cheaper than for Disco. And so on...

Thumbs Up
Post #517571 25th Mar 2016 12:01am
Arierep

All valid points

Did you consider the 110 with a 300Tdi engine? Looking at those places you go (so much envy) it should be the perfect engine
Post #517577 25th Mar 2016 1:35am
Simon.pl

I did. In fact more TD5 than 300Tdi. But I didn't want the car older than 10 years. I didn't want to start with the all major repairs old Defenders require. And there is no way one can find fairly "fresh" TD5, not even mentioning 300TDI.

In fact I would rather go for petrol option if anything goes wrong with this one. BMW 3,5L with LPG option. Most of the cars far east run on LPG or CNG. It's harder to cheat with petrol (you can have less octanes but don't find water in that messes with the fuel pumps, lines, filters and make your car impossible to start in the winter. Will see - but this is the route I will probably follow in the future Wink
Post #517632 25th Mar 2016 11:02am
Simon.pl

Bought roll cage today Mr. Green Second hand Raptor4x4 - italian brand. Seems to be very good quality. Of course needs sanding and painting, but it is just to refresh it after necessary mods.
Need to modify it to fit my project as this one was from the 90 and the external parts that goes on the side of the roof needs to go inside, but glad I could get it before I started with the roof as everything is clear now how should all fit Cool

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up

Last edited by Simon.pl on 27th Mar 2016 9:19pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #518042 26th Mar 2016 9:36pm
Arierep

Nice move with the rollcage.
I honestly believe a roll cage is what distinguishes a serious Defender build from show off bolt on stuff.

Hope mine arrives in 2 weeks, can't wait
Post #518227 27th Mar 2016 5:16pm
Simon.pl

Trying to find information, what is the Puma's appetite for current? I read, the alternator is rated 150A. How much the car takes and how many amps are there for the battery charging?

Thumbs Up
Post #525300 19th Apr 2016 4:01pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I've been wondering exactly the same thing and haven't found an answer.

I'm thinking I might do a bit of investigating, shouldn't be too hard. The interesting bits of information to me are current when locket, when unlocked, what makes it rise and for how long (opening doors etc), current when ignition on accessories, ignition on, engine running. Some of those will need a meter on the battery terminals and some on the alternator cable. I've got one DC clamp ammeter and have another at work so it's not beyond me to work it out, just need the time and round tuits.

How's the rest of the build going?
Post #534775 26th May 2016 9:13am
Simon.pl

Been quiet for a while, but doesn't mean I didn't do anything for the build Cool

Made to orders in England - one from LRParts and the other from Devon4x4.

Had to wait a little for the Devon order because of the radius arms manufacturing delay. But the rest was smooth.
From Devon I bought:
OME 2767
OME 2755
D44 Rear Relocation Cones
D44 Heavy Duty Front Turrets
D44 Heavy Duty Turret Rings
D44 Front Spring Retaining Bars
D44 Rear Spring Retainer Bars
D44 Racing Radius Arms
Polybush Bush Kit for Defender 2002 onwards
Polybush Defender 90 / 110 (2002) A Frame Bushes
D44 Fuel Filter Relocation Bracket
D44 HeavyDuty Steering Arms

Locally I bought Koni 90-5374SP1 and 90-5401 Shocks as they were cheaper than from other suppliers.

From LRParts I took:
8x16 Mach 5 Alloys in Satin Black
Locking Wheel Nuts
3mm Bonnet protector
Tuner Momo 14" Steering Wheel
Steering Wheel Boss 48 spline
Quick release system

Unfortunately this purchase wasn't so smooth. There was a problem while placing the order (the page crashed when I was making the order, couldn't see anything in my basket, so asked them to send me the PayPal request as when I called them the order was visible in their system). Than my payment didn't show up in the system so had to push them with the emails and finally got the delivery around 5 weeks after my payment was done. AND - unfortunately - they put those locking wheels loose in the box with one of the rims and the rim was damaged Shocked and had to send it back. Still waiting for the replacement Whistle

Here are some fruits from LRParts Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Koni:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

and from Devon4x4:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I also bought some cheap elements localy to fit electric windows, central locking system and electrically controlled mirrors, but will do everything when get the dash board down for Dynamat treatment Wink

Finally - as I'm preparing for the build, started to measure the car in order to be able to visualize it in 3D. Been playing with Catia for a few days and here are the results Whistle

Started from the roof Cool

Click image to enlarge

Than went down

Click image to enlarge

It's really not easy for someone who never had to use this software, but getting better and better! Mr. Green

This is the stage I'm on now

Click image to enlarge

The plan is to visualize the interior and the frame for the pop-up roof.
It should be much easier when I draw every major element I want to have in the car and simply place it virtually inside. It should tell me what should be where and help me to avoid stupid mistakes during the build.

While measuring the car I had a chance to have a deep look at the craftsmanship Very Happy Really been thinking of tearing it apart and doing proper body repair. There are tiny holes EVERYWHERE. it's just unbelievable how everything is made Shocked Laughing Don't you guys afraid to go into the water with your Defenders? It's just no way to drive through a stream 40cm deep to not have wet socks after all! Mr. Green

Sooo- in the nearest future - chassis job and installing the 2" lift.

Staring wheel is already installed and I love it! The driving position is brilliant and I'm taking the wheel home for the night Cool

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The only dark side is that I can't use the turning signals keeping my hand on the steering wheel because of the quick release system, but I can live with it

Thumbs Up
Post #535767 30th May 2016 1:05am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I had a load of issues with an LRParts order recently too. Wasn't very impressed by them.

The Defender build standards are... interesting at best. I hope you've measured the front as well as the back, I know when I've built stuff for mine using measurements form by the back door I've found they then don't fit at the cab end which is rather annoying.

As for water... I've recently accidentally been through some very deep water (as in it would have flooded the air intake had a stopped) and was the only vehicle there not to get water inside, so they're not completely useless Laughing
Post #535830 30th May 2016 12:44pm
Simon.pl

Measure front and rear Cool

My mechanic told me I should have bought Correction Arms for the front as well, while installing 2" lift. Do you guys agree?
Talked to Devon4x4 and wasn't advised to buy it, so I'm curios if guys from D44 forgot to tell me it was needed, or it is not needed for the lift like that?
Post #537238 3rd Jun 2016 3:38pm
sharkey964

France 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I have never fitted them on front of my 90,though I do have them on the rear.
It has a 2" lift.

Click image to enlarge
Post #537251 3rd Jun 2016 4:56pm
Simon.pl

What about extended bump stops? Do you have ones installed in yours?
Post #537255 3rd Jun 2016 5:17pm
sharkey964

France 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
No,I don't use extended bump stops,because I have a Gwyn Lewis extreme suspension set up with +6.5" OME shocks.
Ihave standard bump stops so if I take a big hit on the suspension it's not metal to metal contact,axel to chassis.
Only If you lift uses standard length shocks you will need extended bump stops
Thumbs Up
Marc
Post #537258 3rd Jun 2016 5:26pm
Simon.pl

But isn't the extended bump stop to protect the shocks as well against full closing and taking the whole force while a big hit on the suspension comes?
Post #537283 3rd Jun 2016 7:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>