↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Anderson connector for winch/compressor/jumper leads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Hairysteve

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Barolo Black
Anderson connector for winch/compressor/jumper leads
So am thinking of using Anderson connector mounted in the engine bay that can be disconnected from the winch and used for the compressor or jumper leads (if and when required) that way I don't need to add a second set of Andersons in the cab thus saving time and money. The anderson connected to the battery end would be permanently mounted to the engine bay using something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANDERSON-DURITE-...QMbATlht4w

Opinions on this approach?

Cheers

Steve
Post #479192 4th Dec 2015 10:07pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Good idea - but if you mount the Anderson in the engine bay anyway then why not make the connections to the starter motor instead of to battery, saves you a length of hefty leads... Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #479239 5th Dec 2015 8:08am
Hairysteve

Thanks VeeTee, this went through my mind a fair bit and after reading the pros and cons on the best method I have gone for running the cables back to the battery. During this exercise yesterday I questioned the original plan of having the aux Andersons connected to the passenger seat box or back in the engine bay.
Post #479251 5th Dec 2015 8:54am
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Would you mind sharing your pros and cons re routing the cables back to the battery vs to the starting motor?
I will be installing a winch soon so would like to learn here. Thumbs Up Cheers, Vincent

MySite
Post #479480 5th Dec 2015 9:36pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Why not take the Anderson feed of the connectors at the winch end. Mount the Anderson on the bumper/winch and use a plug cover to keep the crap out? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #479505 5th Dec 2015 10:40pm
Enid_Puceflange

Scotland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Baltic Blue
Scroll down here......
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic32390-15.html

I fitted Anderson connectors earlier this year My confidence has been writing cheques that my abilities can't cash for years.
Post #479514 5th Dec 2015 11:05pm
Alien

Australia 
I would not be recommending using Anderson Plugs on the winch although the idea has merit.
A winch at full pull can draw @500Amps(subject to brand,size,load,etc.) while the largest Anderson I can find is 350Amp.
(VeeTee)This is why with seat box mounted batteries we use heavier cables for the winch.
Dirty and loose connections is another concern.
Having said that, there are a few people using the idea with a portable winch mounted on a frame that slip into receivers.
http://www.autoanything.com/winches/77A10094A4120994.aspx

excossack wrote:
Why not take the Anderson feed of the connectors at the winch end. Mount the Anderson on the bumper/winch and use a plug cover to keep the crap out?

This solution would be easy to do and saves lifting the bonnet each time you want to use your air compressor.
With a winch isolator it would also isolate the Anderson plug.

Another option, just to add some more confusion to the debate would be remote battery terminals.
Something like this, subject to what is available locally to you...
https://www.proformancepros.com/cgi-bin/co...TX-406-220
These could be under bonnet mounted and wired to the starter motor.
Doing this would save wiring an Anderson plug to your air compressor and jumper leads making them usable if other folk need to borrow them.

Another option..
http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/exterio...ocker.html Cheers,
Kyle.
Post #479531 6th Dec 2015 1:36am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Alien wrote:
I would not be recommending using Anderson Plugs on the winch although the idea has merit.
A winch at full pull can draw @500Amps(subject to brand,size,load,etc.) while the largest Anderson I can find is 350Amp.

Different vehicle but I have the Anderson SB 175 connectors fitted between my battery and Warn M8000 winch. They were fitted by a vehicle manufacturer as part of the original equipment fit and I have no doubt that they meet the design/input requirements of said winch but I did wonder about the 175 amp rating. I believe that this is a continuous rating rather than the intermittent loadings a winch will generate.

Looking at the spec sheet for the SB175 it actually shows in rush currents of over 4,500 amps albeit it for a single second.

Finally, through useage over several years I can confirm that the connector has proved faultless with absolutely no signs of wear, damage, melting, etc.
Post #479594 6th Dec 2015 1:27pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Talking about genuine Anderson connectors only!

The Anderson SB 175 is capable of handling 175 amps continuously. It will handle 1,000 amps for 8 seconds and less then 1,000 amps for longer periods all the way down to 175 amps continuously.

If you are entering winch challenge events where you are likely to be using the winch at its maximum ability the winch should be wired straight back to the battery with 50+mm2 cable. Time in a winch challenge is of the essence so single line pulls are often used

If only for the occasional use for self recovery if the system is understood then 35mm2 cable SB 175 is adequate. Since time is not normally of the essence, double lining can be used which halves the load on the winch and reduces current draw. Time not important so winching can be done in bursts allowing everything to cool off and battery get more charge in.

Brendan
Post #479599 6th Dec 2015 1:43pm
Hairysteve

Once again a great subject with solid points raised by all Bow down

I have wired the winch in straight to the battery with a manual safety cutout switch http://www.goodwinch.com/shop/electrical/s...h-systems/ at the passenger seat box and will be fitting in a SB 175 in the engine bay thus allowing easy access.

Regards,

Steve
Post #479638 6th Dec 2015 3:50pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Get and fit a red rubber dust cap and the black pvc sleeve. Will keep vast majority of extraneous material away from the contacts.

Brendan
Post #479643 6th Dec 2015 4:13pm
Alien

Australia 
Supacat wrote:
Alien wrote:

Different vehicle but I have the Anderson SB 175 connectors fitted between my battery and Warn M8000 winch. They were fitted by a vehicle manufacturer as part of the original equipment fit and I have no doubt that they meet the design/input requirements of said winch but I did wonder about the 175 amp rating. I believe that this is a continuous rating rather than the intermittent loadings a winch will generate.

Looking at the spec sheet for the SB175 it actually shows in rush currents of over 4,500 amps albeit it for a single second.

Finally, through useage over several years I can confirm that the connector has proved faultless with absolutely no signs of wear, damage, melting, etc.

Thanks for the feed back.
It is always good to hear of what happens in the real world.
As Leeds hinted, the figures quoted are for genuine Anderson plugs, aftermarket copies are inferior in lots of ways. Cheers,
Kyle.
Post #480150 8th Dec 2015 3:43am
dave18

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
My 2P, Im doing similar. However Im hard wiring the winch with 50mm2 cable to battery. Then running 35mm2 cable to Front and Rear 175 Anderson Connectors , Both of these are using separate MEGA fuses and also running through solenoids so when not in use they are dead so nothing can be damaged in an accident / scrot attack lol.

I found a company called Toberry Connectors to be the best for the Anderson stuff.
http://www.torberry.co.uk
Post #480183 8th Dec 2015 10:02am
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
i went through all the same thought processes when doing my install and eventually went with a 350a continuous rated setup of cabling and isolator. I also have a anderson connector on the pass seat box for the purposes of jump starting and this is setup for a rating of approx 150a.

One thing I regularly see on some forum posts is using weak 50-75a split charge VSR's and then putting a winch in their which effectively will pull much more through the VSR.
Post #480201 8th Dec 2015 11:05am
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Alien wrote:

Another option..
http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/exterio...ocker.html

When installing my winch soon, I'd planned to run a thick cable from the starter to an isolator switch in this Mudstuff Wingbox (which I already have installed), and from there to the winch on the front bumber.
Any opinions on this? Cheers, Vincent

MySite
Post #480207 8th Dec 2015 11:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>