↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Anderson connector for winch/compressor/jumper leads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
The reason I came to the conclusion I did is simple.

Given a full budget and enough time, then run 50 or 60+mm2 cable back to the battery and buy plenty of shackles, strops etc.

Given not a full enough budget or time, then use existing cabling that will be fine for most applications and is already suitably protected and then spend the money you've saved on good quality recovery gear that won't fail dangerously and potentially expensively. If you limit your winch to 80% of its maximum potential pulling power, you'll be well within the current carrying ability of the cables (and remember we're talking about the difference between 40 and 50mm cables here, these winches will pull more than a 50mm cable can carry if the battery will let it).

A TDS Goldfish 9.5i will draw 340A at 9500lbs and 7.5F/M. Halve the pull with a snatch block and you're looking at 12.2F/M at 210A with the option of going to much higher pulls. So given a limited budget, the second option is slightly slower (by about 1 foot per minute), has more recovery potential and is putting a lot less strain on the winch and electrical system.

Like I say, the absolute best option is a fat cable right back to the battery, and put as many big batteries in as you can.
The next best option (IMO) is still safe, which is the most important thing, and works, which is the second most important thing. It's all about priorities really. I'm not saying you should do one or the other, just do what ever you do knowing as much as you can about it.
Post #480641 9th Dec 2015 2:04pm
dave18

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
FYI The original Battery cables on my fender ( 1984 110 CSW) Were 35mm2!! Left the + as is but uprated the earts.

Cupboard where abouts in Norfolk are you ???
Post #480897 10th Dec 2015 7:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123